• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Whom Would You Draft @16?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since I saw a bit of back and forth about defensive players at 16, I'll say that there's four defenders I'd be okay with there, barring some weird slide from a guy that should be a top five pick.

Derwin James: He could end up being the top DB out of the first round, and will be a real leader and spark to our defense. He is just that good. With some good coaching, he could be as big of a difference maker for us as Troy was for the Steelers' defense.

Maurice Hurst: No other first round DL causes the level of disruption he does. He would greatly improve our pass rush.

Harold Landry: The perfect long term replacement for Suggs.

Rashaan Evans: Because we badly need an ilb next to Mosley that won't get picked on by QBs.

Now, personally, I'm all for trading down for a great interior lineman, like Wynn or Pryce, but if the value we'd get for a trade isn't there, then we might need to just grab whoever the best player available is at one of our lesser needs.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since I saw a bit of back and forth about defensive players at 16, I'll say that there's four defenders I'd be okay with there, barring some weird slide from a guy that should be a top five pick.

Derwin James: He could end up being the top DB out of the first round, and will be a real leader and spark to our defense. He is just that good. With some good coaching, he could be as big of a difference maker for us as Troy was for the Steelers' defense.

Maurice Hurst: No other first round DL causes the level of disruption he does. He would greatly improve our pass rush.

Harold Landry: The perfect long term replacement for Suggs.

Rashaan Evans: Because we badly need an ilb next to Mosley that won't get picked on by QBs.

Now, personally, I'm all for trading down for a great interior lineman, like Wynn or Pryce, but if the value we'd get for a trade isn't there, then we might need to just grab whoever the best player available is at one of our lesser needs.
Im all in for all if the players you listed except for Hurst. Im not sure id take him at 16 but i havent watched too much of him yet. Only thing with Landry being taken is there would be a bit of a logjam for playing time. I LOVE Derwin James and Rashaan Evans though. Those are two alpha dogs on the feild

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im all in for all if the players you listed except for Hurst. Im not sure id take him at 16 but i havent watched too much of him yet. Only thing with Landry being taken is there would be a bit of a logjam for playing time. I LOVE Derwin James and Rashaan Evans though. Those are two alpha dogs on the feild
Yeah, Hurst is definitely the guy I'd want the least out of that group, but I could at least understand the pick. Hurst is the guy if Ridley, Nelson, the other defenders I listed, and the top OTs are gone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll follow @RavensMania on this one. I really have a love for Guice, I've never felt such perfect fit for us. But in the end, WR is a ginormous need, Ridley is a safe prospect and a future Pro Bowler, it's just too big of a boost. If we beef up the OL later and get a Nick Chubb (also a perfect fit), that's hard to beat. If we don't, I'm still very excited about the tandem of Collins and Dixon.

2 weeks or so ago i would have agreed but ive been watching some guice film recently and he jumps off the tape - he's rising up my board and might be ahead of ridley on my board at this point despite being less of a "need"

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
2 weeks or so ago i would have agreed but ive been watching some guice film recently and he jumps off the tape - he's rising up my board and might be ahead of ridley on my board at this point despite being less of a "need"
I mean, I definitely prefer Guice over Ridley as players, but Ridley would have hands down the biggest impact. If we draft Guice I'd be super happy but we'd have to give him some real run blocking. Drafting a true bell cow back is nice, but you can't be serious about giving him the blocking we've had last year. If we draft Guice, we need to get some maulers afterwards (and replace Jensen who's probably going to leave).

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, Hurst is definitely the guy I'd want the least out of that group, but I could at least understand the pick. Hurst is the guy if Ridley, Nelson, the other defenders I listed, and the top OTs are gone.
I like Taven Bryan better tbh. But id prefer a trade down if we do go that route

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I like Taven Bryan better tbh. But id prefer a trade down if we do go that route

Trade up into top9 or trade down. No real freakish game changers will be there at 16. At 8-9 you should get a top3 player like Chubb Nelson Ridley or Roquan. The kinda game changer the ravens really really need to establish an identity somewhere and make players around him better. Those are the 4 players that should be set on drafting.

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade up into top9 or trade down. No real freakish game changers will be there at 16. At 8-9 you should get a top3 player like Chubb Nelson Ridley or Roquan. The kinda game changer the ravens really really need to establish an identity somewhere and make players around him better. Those are the 4 players that should be set on drafting.
What makes you think Ridley is the only reciever who will be productive next year? The only reason hes the top guy is because hes the safest reciever prospect but i dont think anyones expecting him to blow up the NFL, hes just a solid reciever.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
What makes you think Ridley is the only reciever who will be productive next year? The only reason hes the top guy is because hes the safest reciever prospect but i dont think anyones expecting him to blow up the NFL, hes just a solid reciever.

I didn’t say only receiver that will be productive. I said player inside top 10 that could be that freakish game changer. That player that makes players around him better and establishes some kinda identity on the team. Ridley is a more explosive version of Diggs. Be it Ridley Nelson Roquan or Chubb. the team really needs a freakish building block game changer kinda player. Productive receivers are fine and all but in first half round1 you really are looking for a little more than that.

Are you looking for a top5 offense or an ok offense. A lot of fans are continuing that mode of only need an ok offense to win. That was the sentiment back when the defense was dominant with 4 potential hall of famers. With a $25million franchise QB wins and losses tend to lean a lil more on the offense. Which means for a championship the offense needs to be counted on to score points and win a shootout if needed. If we land a top shelf NO.2 in free agency than a NO.1 is needed or an additional top shelf NO.2. If ravens sign a cap cut red tag special vet with diminishing skills. That was a top shelf NO.2 sever yrs ago. Then draft a “fairly productive” receiver. The offense is continue to drive in low gear and count on the defense holding a lead through 2 quarters. If we sign A Marqise Lee and he steps up and a Brice Butler deep threat. Then a productive WR is fine. If we sign a declining cap cut vet then the drafted receiver will need to be a little better than productive.

Regardless, be it receiver or any position. Team needs a game changer to establish an identity of some kind. And make players around him better. Be it Roquan controlling the middle or Chubb putting heat on QBs. Then on offense Nelson with Jensen Yanda and Stanley could establish an oline that Abuses opponents. And of course Ridley tandemed with Marqise Lee or Jarvis Landry would establish feared weapons. Not saying Ridley needs to be the pick. That will lean on what receivers are signed in free agency. If ravens sign or trade for a tandem of 30 and older cap cut vets with diminishing skills like Sanders and Crabtree. Then a really good young receiver is needed as the fans watch the tee agent acquisition decline every week lol. But ravens need a freakish cornerstone To establish an identity of some kind.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
It's almost like nothing has changed from last year to now if you look at how the season went. LMAO
defense only failed down the stretch due to Pees and the fact that there were so many injuries. His misuse of the two LBs we drafted and both safeties, as well as CJ mosley, who is a damn good LB when healthy.

We tried last season to upgrade the WR corps with Maclin. He was bust. After the success with Mason, Boldin, Smith, Wallace, we were due a failure. Only failure in awhile since Lee Evans.

It's not for lack of trying but if Ozzie ignores the oline again this season he shouldn't be given the opportunity to retire. He should be fired. Just making that clear.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
defense only failed down the stretch due to Pees and the fact that there were so many injuries. His misuse of the two LBs we drafted and both safeties, as well as CJ mosley, who is a damn good LB when healthy.

We tried last season to upgrade the WR corps with Maclin. He was bust. After the success with Mason, Boldin, Smith, Wallace, we were due a failure. Only failure in awhile since Lee Evans.

It's not for lack of trying but if Ozzie ignores the oline again this season he shouldn't be given the opportunity to retire. He should be fired. Just making that clear.
is wynn in the first enough? i mean, ive pretty much settled(for the time being) on wynn or price in the first, prioritizing a trade back for either of them, but ill take one at 16 too.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It's not like our OL was bad... I want to add some push in the run game but we don't need a complete overhaul. RT and C are probably the only positions that we should adress.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's not like our OL was bad... I want to add some push in the run game but we don't need a complete overhaul. RT and C are probably the only positions that we should adress.
If we lose Jensen and IF we cut Howard who was 2nd on the team in snaps last year.

I wouldnt be against the idea of trading ZDS and drafting Davenport to fill his spot.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
is wynn in the first enough? i mean, ive pretty much settled(for the time being) on wynn or price in the first, prioritizing a trade back for either of them, but ill take one at 16 too.
Wynn maybe but Price is def not worth 16. Hes not even the best C in this class. Id take Wynn at 16 although i wouldnt be exactly thrilled....much rather trade back

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

If you could, please refrain from speaking of L.E.

Nightmares.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If there’s a position we can’t ignore it’s C. We can get away with a weak spot at RT every week of the year except vs Denver imo. But even then we can chip with a TE.
We let Jensen walk we should repurpose our resources to the oline. Sign Norwell, move Yanda to C to prolong his career, draft Wynn in the first round. Boom. Pocket protected, three powerful interior olinemen and a well above average LT.
If we lose Jensen and IF we cut Howard who was 2nd on the team in snaps last year.

I wouldnt be against the idea of trading ZDS and drafting Davenport to fill his spot.
No fucking thank you. Players as raw as Davenport fail more often than not. For every Ansah there’s 20 Margus Hunt typed
Wynn maybe but Price is def not worth 16. Hes not even the best C in this class. Id take Wynn at 16 although i wouldnt be exactly thrilled....much rather trade back
Football is won in the trenches and Wynn has all pro potential on the interior. Explain to me how you wouldn’t be thrilled with him at 16. Hell I’d be fine with Price at 16 tbh. C is probably the most important position on the line and he’s a Day one starter there and good interior olinemen can play at a high level for 10+ years. Great ones can play for 12+

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
If there’s a position we can’t ignore it’s C. We can get away with a weak spot at RT every week of the year except vs Denver imo. But even then we can chip with a TE.
We let Jensen walk we should repurpose our resources to the oline. Sign Norwell, move Yanda to C to prolong his career, draft Wynn in the first round. Boom. Pocket protected, three powerful interior olinemen and a well above average LT.

No fucking thank you. Players as raw as Davenport fail more often than not. For every Ansah there’s 20 Margus Hunt typed

Football is won in the trenches and Wynn has all pro potential on the interior. Explain to me how you wouldn’t be thrilled with him at 16. Hell I’d be fine with Price at 16 tbh. C is probably the most important position on the line and he’s a Day one starter there and good interior olinemen can play at a high level for 10+ years. Great ones can play for 12+
I worry about hand size with Wynn and at 16 if im picking a LG i want a guarantee he will be Zach Martin type player. As for Price, i wouldnt spend the 16th pick on the 2nd or 3rd best C in this class.

Im not saying id be totally against going interior oline in round 1, id love to as long as we can trade back and do so, otherwise id be disapointed we drafted a guy at 16 who we couldve gotten at 24

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Totally agree . As much as I'd like to trade back and take one of them, I'd be fine with either at 16.