• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Scouting Combine

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Ya'll jump off the Orlando Brown train yet? Lmao 14 bench reps at 345 pounds, I don't care how long he is that is utterly awful. So basically all the size he has is just fat. Maybe once he bombs the movement drills people will realize he's not a first rounder.
I tried telling everybody Brown is a boat anchor. A scrub!!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ya ive been worried about this too. Its not just a bad number its a terrible number. Remember Stanley had a bad bench number but it wasnt 14 bad. Hopefully he can bring that up at his pro day. Also Wynn had 8.....that just doesnt seem right at all

I really feel like the 2 of them didn’t bother - I’d be interested to know if they went after billy price maybe... because the bench press really tells me nothing about their play strength - it’s (to me) the single least useful drill they do and it’s also the one that’s most likely to cause serious injury - I’d be completely supportive of them scrapping it completely

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I tried telling everybody Brown is a boat anchor. A scrub!!

I never understood why some in the media even had him in first round mocks to begin with.

Hate it for Price, but he's already got what it means to be a Raven down pat. Oh and don't worry, this is Harbs way of ensuring we can get him later while getting a great prospect at 16.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I really feel like the 2 of them didn’t bother - I’d be interested to know if they went after billy price maybe... because the bench press really tells me nothing about their play strength - it’s (to me) the single least useful drill they do and it’s also the one that’s most likely to cause serious injury - I’d be completely supportive of them scrapping it completely

Dude flat bench is very safe.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im not completely sure i agree with this. Its the only measure of strength we have at the combine. Otherwise wed have to try to figure oit who the gym rats are to get an idea of overall strength

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Wynn is dropping into round2-3 for that. Question is do u take that chance. Bench reps isn’t tell all by far but it’s not irrelevant

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wynn is dropping into round2-3 for that. Question is do u take that chance. Bench reps isn’t tell all by far but it’s not irrelevant
I honestly need to know why it was only 8. If he went right after Price then i get it. He should fix it at his pro day. His film does not in any way reflect his bench number. If he does it again at his pro day then i will worry

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im not completely sure i agree with this. Its the only measure of strength we have at the combine. Otherwise wed have to try to figure oit who the gym rats are to get an idea of overall strength

I don’t need a strength measurement tbh

The combine measured drills have very limited usefulness and transferability - the best uses it has are the interviews, the positional drills, and working out the commitment of these young guys to their craft - the measurements are a bonus for the mostpart

Of course there are some prospects for whom a demonstration of a specific type of athleticism is important but mostly the numbers change very little about player grades (at least towards the top of the board)

And the players also have time now to work out whether the bench numbers are a problem and if they are then they do the bench press at their pro day...

But I really don’t need to know how many reps they did - like it’s cool that Nelson did so many but and uncool that Wynn did so few but it changes virtually nothing about my evaluations of them... because I’m not worried about how strong they are in a gymn because there’s so much variance to that because that’s not been their job yet - I’m much more interested in the functional power they have on tape through technique, anchor, punch, balance etc.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Dude flat bench is very safe.
Ok, so your going to say brown is an anchor because of his 14 bench press, when he’s really good on tape. Then what are you going to say about Wynns 8 bench press. He’s obviously extremely strong.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Ok, so your going to say brown is an anchor because of his 14 bench press, when he’s really good on tape. Then what are you going to say about Wynns 8 bench press. He’s obviously extremely strong.

No but common sense tells you it’s a cause to pause. 8 friggin reps?? I know former female cheerleaders that got into lifting that could do about that. And I don’t care how good he looked on tape. The nfl is different. So many lineman thought he was ready to play in the trenches in the nfl cuz he stood out in the SEC. only to realize the nfl is a different universe. I like him as a player and would like to draft’em. That hasn’t changed. But that should and would make anybody a lil skeptical. And take a closer look.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No but common sense tells you it’s a cause to pause. 8 friggin reps?? I know former female cheerleaders that got into lifting that could do about that. And I don’t care how good he looked on tape. The nfl is different. So many lineman thought he was ready to play in the trenches in the nfl cuz he stood out in the SEC. only to realize the nfl is a different universe. I like him as a player and would like to draft’em. That hasn’t changed. But that should and would make anybody a lil skeptical. And take a closer look.
Think yes, but a team isn’t going to change their mind based on only the bench press unless of course they had two guys they liked equally and this was the tie breaker. Thereare a lot of reasons why he could have had a bad bench. The actual game tape is the most important. I will be interested to see how he does at his pro day as well as the the other drills tomorrow.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Do you really think Isaiah fucking wynn, the second most powerful and physically dominant prospect in this entire class, can only bench 8 times? Get real. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if he could outbench Nelson and jus chose not to.