• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rookie You're Most Concerned About - Potential Bust

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
In what ways?

Similar build/size/weight and athletic ability. Same style of corner. Not a ball hawk but great at the line and jamming up. Solid tackler etc. Can give up the big play..when its kept in front of him, he's great. Similar to rogers.
[doublepost=1494949951,1494949889][/doublepost]I think this FO values tackling and physicality more than playing the ball or ball hawks in general. We tend to shy away from the guys with ball skills in general and go for the hard hitters.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Im not expecting humprey to have a marcus peters type rookie year or even a tavon young type year, but if he can atleast play tight coverage thats fine with me.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Similar build/size/weight and athletic ability. Same style of corner. Not a ball hawk but great at the line and jamming up. Solid tackler etc. Can give up the big play..when its kept in front of him, he's great. Similar to rogers.
[doublepost=1494949951,1494949889][/doublepost]I think this FO values tackling and physicality more than playing the ball or ball hawks in general. We tend to shy away from the guys with ball skills in general and go for the hard hitters.

That is great for a safety. I'm very skeptical of Humph. Everything I find on YouTube says he is a safety. But I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch many games this fall. So I'm not sure the coverages used.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is great for a safety. I'm very skeptical of Humph. Everything I find on YouTube says he is a safety. But I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch many games this fall. So I'm not sure the coverages used.

Don't need to be skeptical UNLESS you're expectations are an all pro corner. I think he's a borderline PB corner potential...like Jimmy Smith, Carlos Rogers or Prince Amakumara.

To be honest, I think we'd be happy with that? Ci?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Don't need to be skeptical UNLESS you're expectations are an all pro corner. I think he's a borderline PB corner potential...like Jimmy Smith, Carlos Rogers or Prince Amakumara.

To be honest, I think we'd be happy with that? Ci?

Yes y didn't we sign amukamara? Do you agree with all the safety position projections out there including pff analysis?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I also thought he would make a better safety, but only initially. The value of a corner compared to a safety is a big difference unless you're talking about an ed reed type guy. Humphrey has sky high potential as a corner OR safety.

I'll put it this way. If Humphrey had a cleaner/tighter backpedal and didn't have the tendency to turn and run rather than flip his hips, he'd be a top 10 lock. However he has shown that he can backpedal and he can flip his hips, so it's a consistency thing, not an inability.

Now the inability to turn his head is a legit concern, but no prospect is perfect. Jimmy had the same issue though so I'm gonna hold out hope that he improves as well

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I also thought he would make a better safety, but only initially. The value of a corner compared to a safety is a big difference unless you're talking about an ed reed type guy. Humphrey has sky high potential as a corner OR safety.

I'll put it this way. If Humphrey had a cleaner/tighter backpedal and didn't have the tendency to turn and run rather than flip his hips, he'd be a top 10 lock. However he has shown that he can backpedal and he can flip his hips, so it's a consistency thing, not an inability.

Now the inability to turn his head is a legit concern, but no prospect is perfect. Jimmy had the same issue though so I'm gonna hold out hope that he improves as well

He is a good tackler but have not seen to many thudding blows. However he has a very big frame for a Cornerback. Wait til he hits the games. He has the frame of a linebacker. The idea is to get better in coverage regardless of position. Because even if he grows into a safety the skills to drop in the box and shadow Beckham is very rare. Matter of fact nobody fronted that skill set since Ronnie Lott.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes y didn't we sign amukamara? Do you agree with all the safety position projections out there including pff analysis?

Injury concerns? He's as bad as jimmy in that regard.
[doublepost=1494956406,1494956269][/doublepost]

All true but I don't see him being that all pro type corner. Production in college matters and he didnt make plays on the ball. The truth is that no all pro corners had a college career where they didnt make plays on the ball. Humphrey is going to be a solid corner, maybe borderline pro bowl but I just don't see him being that perrenial all pro player. He might make 1 and have a solid career.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Injury concerns? He's as bad as jimmy in that regard.
[doublepost=1494956406,1494956269][/doublepost]

All true but I don't see him being that all pro type corner. Production in college matters and he didnt make plays on the ball. The truth is that no all pro corners had a college career where they didnt make plays on the ball. Humphrey is going to be a solid corner, maybe borderline pro bowl but I just don't see him being that perrenial all pro player. He might make 1 and have a solid career.
jimmy isn't a pro bowler either but I'll sure as hell take another jimmy

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
jimmy isn't a pro bowler either but I'll sure as hell take another jimmy

Me too. It;s kinda odd though that the FO didn't take a better player and had him ranked so high when he clearly is not going to be an elite corner but a solid one.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here is a damning fact. No corner in the last 25 years has had a PD/INT grade in college at the same level or thereabouts as Humphrey and been an all pro corner.
He is without question in the tier below.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Humphrey is an interesting conundrum.

From press, he shuffles his feet and doesn't flip his hips early enough. From off, he open his hips too early and lets himself get beat underneath.
[doublepost=1494960525,1494960474][/doublepost]
I think you meant another Jimmy, that can stay on the field.
I'd be thrilled to get a Jimmy that can stay on the field. That's All-Pro potential right there.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It can't be right away that Humphrey is trusted in man. At least not without safety help.
But I don't suspect he will be expected to hold up in that sort of coverage at first.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
In case anyone is curious, I did an analysis on Humphrey and should have it up here soon.

I did a pretty thorough breakdown and will have videos to reference against any assertions I make, so hopefully with video evidence some of the things will be easier to see.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
In case anyone is curious, I did an analysis on Humphrey and should have it up here soon.

I did a pretty thorough breakdown and will have videos to reference against any assertions I make, so hopefully with video evidence some of the things will be easier to see.

ANY more players your going to do?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only maybe CBs could do what the Ravens ask Jimmy to do(and I'm being generous). Health aside if that isn't all-pro play than what is?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Welp, considering my specialty is with secondary players and Chuck Clark was a VT alum, maybe him, but I'm not going to give anything nearly as meaningful for the other guys because I'm just not as knowledgable.

Clark is actually growing on me. 3 yr starter at a top notch school and got over 100 tackles each of his last 2 yrs which tells me he's not scared to stick his nose into a pile.

If you got time got anything on Canady?