• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the thing i keep forgetting with karlaftis is that he's only 20 yrs old

and as is often the case at this point in the year, he's back close to where he began the process on my board at EDGE 5/6 on my board (5 if we take out ojabo, 6 if we leave ojabo in there)
I’ll die on the karlaftis hill. I’m probably higher on him than anyone on the forums. If we did take him at 14 I’d be okay with it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we pick Davis at 14, I'll be more than happy. There won't be another chance to draft a 4.78 340lbs DT.
Yes the stats aren't there but that's by design - same thing as with Oweh.

100% - he's a unique freak of nature - to a certain degree you just take the unicorn in R1 if you can

there's freaks at EDGE and WR and LB every single year and sometimes they even make it out of R1 - there is no comp for Davis - he's a generational athlete

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If we get Davis it will make re-signing Campbell that much better of a move. Can't think of anyone better to teach a 6'6 monster DL than a 6'8'' monster DL

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
For intrigue, I want to see one of two things happen, with the assumption that we stay at 14:
1. One of the top 3 Tackles is still available
2. Kyle Hamilton is still available at 14

Want to see if the Ravens will pass on either for another defensive player.

Simba

Staff Member
For intrigue, I want to see one of two things happen, with the assumption that we stay at 14:
1. One of the top 3 Tackles is still available
2. Kyle Hamilton is still available at 14

Want to see if the Ravens will pass on either for another defensive player.
My guesses...

1. Run to the podium for Ekwonu or Neal. Pass on Cross or work with NO for a slight trade back
2. Do their best to trade back a la Derwin James a few years back

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
My guesses...

1. Run to the podium for Ekwonu or Neal. Pass on Cross or work with NO for a slight trade back
2. Do their best to trade back a la Derwin James a few years back
I have no source for it, but I think Hamilton being available would a) surprise them and b) potentially change things.
I think they're serious about adding playmakers in the secondary, and he's a playmaker. He's not a true Corner, which is probably the bigger "need", but I personally think he's one of the better Safety prospects in a long time, and I think if he's available and there's not somebody else they're in love with, I think they'll take him and figure out how to make it work later. Obviously they made a gigantic commitment to Williams, but Chuck Clark isn't exactly a high-end safety, and I think they can do plenty of things schematically to put a lot of guys in spots to succeed, even outside traditional "position" groupings.

Like if it somehow fell that like Kayvon and Hamilton is still there, I think they'll go pass rush as the more fitting positional need, but if they get to a point where its like Hamilton and Davis, I think they'll take Hamilton.

Trade down being possible, but I don't think it'd be to avoid taking the player entirely.

If anything, I would think Cross being available would make it more likely to trade back with a team who wants to come up a bit to get a LT.

And of all of these "stud" players that people are talking about tacking a tumble down the boards, seems like Hamilton may be that guy. Non-premium position, and if you get a couple teams going QB or WR happy, good players will fall.

Simba

Staff Member
I have no source for it, but I think Hamilton being available would a) surprise them and b) potentially change things.
I think they're serious about adding playmakers in the secondary, and he's a playmaker. He's not a true Corner, which is probably the bigger "need", but I personally think he's one of the better Safety prospects in a long time, and I think if he's available and there's not somebody else they're in love with, I think they'll take him and figure out how to make it work later. Obviously they made a gigantic commitment to Williams, but Chuck Clark isn't exactly a high-end safety, and I think they can do plenty of things schematically to put a lot of guys in spots to succeed, even outside traditional "position" groupings.

Like if it somehow fell that like Kayvon and Hamilton is still there, I think they'll go pass rush as the more fitting positional need, but if they get to a point where its like Hamilton and Davis, I think they'll take Hamilton.

Trade down being possible, but I don't think it'd be to avoid taking the player entirely.

If anything, I would think Cross being available would make it more likely to trade back with a team who wants to come up a bit to get a LT.

And of all of these "stud" players that people are talking about tacking a tumble down the boards, seems like Hamilton may be that guy. Non-premium position, and if you get a couple teams going QB or WR happy, good players will fall.
I wouldn't be surprised if we took him by any means, but Derwin fit this team like a glove and they still passed even knowing Weddle was only gonna be there 2 more years max (ended up only being 1). I know they love going BPA but there's still some positional/investment consideration no matter how much they tell us there isn't.

Simba

Staff Member
if hamilton's there i think they'd honestly just pass on him
remember no one actually traded up to come and get derwin, the bills traded with us to go get tremaine edmunds
Yep I can get on board with that too. Just feel like we've seen too many of these types of guys not really turn into what everyone expected in the league over the last several years. It's exciting to think about the possibility but it's iffy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wouldn't be surprised if we took him by any means, but Derwin fit this team like a glove and they still passed even knowing Weddle was only gonna be there 2 more years max (ended up only being 1). I know they love going BPA but there's still some positional/investment consideration no matter how much they tell us there isn't.

and it's possible they just dont value a safety skillset high in the draft

if he was a better man cover guy like derwin james i could definitely see him being high on the board - derwin james literally covers keenan allen and guys like that in practice all the time and then covers all sorts of guys in man on gamedays, hamilton projects to always be given trouble by shifty receivers

it's just the nature of the modern game right now that safeties have to be able to come and play a ton of nickel to matchup with all the offensive weapons on the field

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep I can get on board with that too. Just feel like we've seen too many of these types of guys not really turn into what everyone expected in the league over the last several years. It's exciting to think about the possibility but it's iffy.

usage is so important with safeties
look at the difference it made to minkah fitzpatrick's career to end up in a better system fit

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
and it's possible they just dont value a safety skillset high in the draft

if he was a better man cover guy like derwin james i could definitely see him being high on the board - derwin james literally covers keenan allen and guys like that in practice all the time and then covers all sorts of guys in man on gamedays, hamilton projects to always be given trouble by shifty receivers

it's just the nature of the modern game right now that safeties have to be able to come and play a ton of nickel to matchup with all the offensive weapons on the field
I struggle with the idea of not valuing safety skill set that high in the draft, when they're willing to pay top dollar in FA to ET and Williams.

I think its more of a product of us not being in a position to get a high end Safety in recent drafts. I think if they had a do-over they'd stay pat and take James back in '18.