• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can anyone give a link to a stream for tonight? I’ll have to watch it on my phone

Simba

Staff Member
You’re not the only one who felt that way, and I find it odd, Kyle hamilton falling to 14 feels like a classic ravens pick
I couldn't get Isaiah Simmons out of my head personally and I think that was the reason why I felt the NFL might be a little more wary. Also think Simmons would be much better outside of Arizona, but just something in me said we were going to pass if he made it. Glad to be wrong though. Premium talent for sure.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea im not tripping at all about his speed but you can for sure notice it on his tape..

idk that i do see that
what i see on his tape - and where he can sometimes struggle - is when matched up in man coverage vs shiftier WRs - Hamilton's an outrageous athlete but he's just too tall to be able to matchup vs those small twitchy guys on horizontal routes - he's got no issues covering TEs though or big WRs going up the field out of the slot

i dont see a lack of speed, more a deficit in twitch vs those twitchy guys (which isnt unexpected from a 6'4 220lbs dude)

here are the relevant bits of my notes from watching him that you might find interesting...

• Shot out of a cannon with his ability to close when he triggers – first step explosion not elite but his ability to accelerate through his 2nd and 3rd step is exceptional
  • Excellent range – sideline-to-sideline range from the middle of the field – combined with his length makes him exceptionally good at getting in passing lanes and making plays on the catch-point
  • Brackets well
  • Pedal is super smooth and gains depth efficiently – has good change of direction skills given his height although hips not as fluid as shorter/smaller looser athletes
  • Does mean that he can struggle a little in man coverage against more shifty receivers at times – but does have crazily silky smooth hips to flip and transition for someone his size
  • Has the ability to match up effectively vs tight ends and bigger receivers – easily has the athleticism to be comfortable in trail

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I couldn't get Isaiah Simmons out of my head personally and I think that was the reason why I felt the NFL might be a little more wary. Also think Simmons would be much better outside of Arizona, but just something in me said we were going to pass if he made it. Glad to be wrong though. Premium talent for sure.
I think Arizona is just really bad at using defenders

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You said “looks af” lol but man I gotta ask what you’re watching, and did you watch him before or after the combine? Because you’re the first person I’ve seen say he looks slow on tape, the more typical response was people being downright shocked that he ran what he did
Yea i watched him before combine just a little cause i thought we had no chance at getting him lol but yea you can legit tell he isnt a 4.4 kinda guy..his speed not a big deal to me.. he actually runs like he 6”4 imo

Simba

Staff Member
love McReary. Woolen has crazy make up ability and is pretty spectacular at disrupting at catch point but he's pretty shoddy at the line..guys just get off and he plays catch up. I am intrigued by him developmentally though
Yeah Woolen definitely needs some work, but the tools are there to work with and that's why I rate him highly. Technically put a 3rd round grade on him but one of the rare ones I'd be okay with it if someone reached.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yea i watched him before combine just a little cause i thought we had no chance at getting him lol but yea you can legit tell he isnt a 4.4 kinda guy..his speed not a big deal to me.. he actually runs like he 6”4 imo
I just don’t see that because he was expected to run like a 4.5 at worst and that was just based on his tape.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
all the connections with mcDonald, Oweh. Mostly I think he's a great player. surprised me how much I liked him when I watched

i think ojabo may well have been in play at 14 if he was healthy - but he's a guy who's underdeveloped in the running game, is somewhat newer to the sport (not ridiculously new but not super developed like some guys) and is now going to miss the entire offseason and at least the first 2-3 months of the regular season at a minimum

just dont know that you can rely on a year 1 impact and that's tough to take for a team that wants to contend this year - if we take him ill be super excited and the value would be incredible but i would be a little nervous about his ability to impact when he returns in the autumn

but maybe you take that risk because here's an opportunity to get another upper echelon talent who has no right to be available and we normally dont get a shot at

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ive seen other say simmons and i dont really see it on the tape tbh
like i get the athletic comps and the physical ones but simmons always looked to me like a LB/S hybrid and that's why i was always wary of him

hamilton, in my mind is a safety who just happens to be versatile enough to line up basically anywhere - but also i trust his instincts and range in the deep middle and deep half in ways that i never could/would with simmons who always felt like a box player

Simba

Staff Member
ive seen other say simmons and i dont really see it on the tape tbh
like i get the athletic comps and the physical ones but simmons always looked to me like a LB/S hybrid and that's why i was always wary of him

hamilton, in my mind is a safety who just happens to be versatile enough to line up basically anywhere - but also i trust his instincts and range in the deep middle and deep half in ways that i never could/would with simmons who always felt like a box player
I mean, I agree for what it's worth. I never likened them as prospects, but he was just going through my head as a reason why the NFL might have thought less of Hamilton. A case where the NFL keeps trying some of these hybrid guys and it just isn't working, and teams seeing Hamilton in that light because of the testing numbers. Not saying it was right but may have also been how I subconsciously justified us passing on him if we did lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah Woolen definitely needs some work, but the tools are there to work with and that's why I rate him highly. Technically put a 3rd round grade on him but one of the rare ones I'd be okay with it if someone reached.

toolsy as hell for sure but feels quite linear (like you'd expect from a 6'4 205lbs corner) - and he's not physical or dominant with his physicality in the way he needs to be

At that height and length will have to become more consistent with his route anticipation and play recognition to overcome short-area direction change deficit and hip tightness inherent in his frame and build – processing is undisciplined

and then on top of that he's a minnow in contact situations which puts me off him a bit lol

id take him early on day 3 as a developmental guy - but i struggle to justify spending a top tier pick on a guy who isnt going to be ready to play in year 1

there's 3 of these small school hyper long, hyper athletic corners and i think he's my least favourite of the 3:
Zyon McCollum
Joshua Williams
Tariq Woolen