• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But that's kind of why I would lean trade up there. Think it happens in round 3 and you have a shit ton of ammo to get back up and get one more guy in that range without missing out on anything else in my opinion.

you saying like move up 30 picks and get up to around 80? i could maybe see that but it would probably cost 110 as well as 2 of those 4th rounders to get up there

what i cant really see is a move from 110 up into the late 90s or back to near where we were originally picking with our comp pick

Simba

Staff Member
you saying like move up 30 picks and get up to around 80? i could maybe see that

what i cant really see is a move from 110 up into the late 90s or back to near where we were originally picking with our comp pick
I think it depends. Like you, I see the talent drop off somewhere in the 3rd but I also don't buy that I'd be out of guys later in the round. I think they thin out by then but we know that's also when teams start to branch out more than we expected, so I'd think the chance of at least one guy that I have an early 3rd on still being available in the late 3rd is pretty high based on history.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it depends. Like you, I see the talent drop off somewhere in the 3rd but I also don't buy that I'd be out of guys later in the round. I think they thin out by then but we know that's also when teams start to branch out more than we expected, so I'd think the chance of at least one guy that I have an early 3rd on still being available in the late 3rd is pretty high based on history.

sure... i guess my contention is that i think those guys are still gonna be available in the 4th round too - especially in this class

Simba

Staff Member
sure... i guess my contention is that i think those guys are still gonna be available in the 4th round too - especially in this class
And I can see that line of thinking too. I guess I just don't view losing a mid round pick as a big deal if I can secure a guy I have a higher grade on, especially if it turns out to be a pass rusher or defensive lineman, just to throw out a couple of positions.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And I can see that line of thinking too. I guess I just don't view losing a mid round pick as a big deal if I can secure a guy I have a higher grade on, especially if it turns out to be a pass rusher or defensive lineman, just to throw out a couple of positions.

well and this is where i think we probably agree - if there's a guy you really covet with a high grade at that point in the draft... just go and get him

im just not sure that guy will be there

Simba

Staff Member
We've talked a lot about us but here are my losers/question marks of the night:

1. Lions - Hutchinson and Williams are big gets but not sure I understand the reasoning to trade up for Williams just yet. Seems like another case of a team not recognizing where they are as an organization. I know this isn't the QB year but you're now wasting some of those prime cheap years of a WR for Jared Goff to throw to him. Guess this changes if they suck and pick early again next year, but just brought some questions as to what they're doing.

2. Commanders - I really like Jahan Dotson but not sure why they moved back and missed out on the premium guys just to take a different WR. Felt forced.

3. Steelers - Only team to take a QB in a clearly weak class. Could have picked a better player and come up to get one later.

4. Cowboys - Think Tyler Smith has a lot of potential but that's a heavy undertaking for round 1. At least he went to a place where they develop guys decently well.

5. Patriots - I know this pick will probably work out in the end because it's the Patriots but feels like they overthought this one for sure.

6. Vikings - Don't mind that they picked Cine but feel like they didn't get enough value out of the WR run and the massive drop back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We've talked a lot about us but here are my losers/question marks of the night:

1. Lions - Hutchinson and Williams are big gets but not sure I understand the reasoning to trade up for Williams just yet. Seems like another case of a team not recognizing where they are as an organization. I know this isn't the QB year but you're now wasting some of those prime cheap years of a WR for Jared Goff to throw to him. Guess this changes if they suck and pick early again next year, but just brought some questions as to what they're doing.

2. Commanders - I really like Jahan Dotson but not sure why they moved back and missed out on the premium guys just to take a different WR. Felt forced.

3. Steelers - Only team to take a QB in a clearly weak class. Could have picked a better player and come up to get one later.

4. Cowboys - Think Tyler Smith has a lot of potential but that's a heavy undertaking for round 1. At least he went to a place where they develop guys decently well.

5. Patriots - I know this pick will probably work out in the end because it's the Patriots but feels like they overthought this one for sure.

6. Vikings - Don't mind that they picked Cine but feel like they didn't get enough value out of the WR run and the massive drop back.

the thing i dont get about the lions is that they traded away future picks in a draft where they might need those picks to go up and get one of those top QBs in 2023 - i do get the rationale for williams because he's not completely healthy and he's probably a top 8 pick if he is and they're now set up with great weapons and good OL there for either Goff or for whoever they bring in to replace Goff in 2023

i like what they lions did... if they get the QB next year - which is why i worry about the picks they just gave up to get williams

i do love the fit of Tyler Smith to the cowboys - especially as he's not forced to play tackle straight away if he's not ready and you can plug him in at guard and let him maul people and work on his hands there before maybe moving him outside later (or just leaving him there to maul on the opposite side to zack martin)

Simba

Staff Member
the thing i dont get about the lions is that they traded away future picks in a draft where they might need those picks to go up and get one of those top QBs in 2023 - i do get the rationale for williams because he's not completely healthy and he's probably a top 8 pick if he is and they're now set up with great weapons and good OL there for either Goff or for whoever they bring in to replace Goff in 2023

i like what they lions did... if they get the QB next year - which is why i worry about the picks they just gave up to get williams

i do love the fit of Tyler Smith to the cowboys - especially as he's not forced to play tackle straight away if he's not ready and you can plug him in at guard and let him maul people and work on his hands there before maybe moving him outside later (or just leaving him there to maul on the opposite side to zack martin)
That was my thing with the Lions. I think they got 2 really good players but they still have Goff at the helm and made it a bit harder to replace him next year unless that team bottoms out again. Of course that's in the realm of possibility. But if they end up outside of the top 10 by chance, they made it so much harder on themselves to get a QB while still adding talent around him. Williams is a good get for sure but just feels shortsighted.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That was my thing with the Lions. I think they got 2 really good players but they still have Goff at the helm and made it a bit harder to replace him next year unless that team bottoms out again. Of course that's in the realm of possibility. But if they end up outside of the top 10 by chance, they made it so much harder on themselves to get a QB while still adding talent around him. Williams is a good get for sure but just feels shortsighted.

i guess maybe the rationale is that if they're gonna have to go up and get a QB, then they know it's gonna cost multiple 1sts anyway and they've still got 2 1st rounders slated for next year and can always give up 2024 picks to supplement too

"Take a Look Inside Ravens' Draft Room" video on br.com

Not sure if it can be zoomed in enough to read.

It was this.. I doubt they were that stupid though. Probably just a prop. I remember EDC mentioning they transitioned to a electronic big board last year or whenever

View attachment 3751

edit: heres the clip I saw from a previous draft year about how they were going electronic (timestamp 2:55)

It’s 2021s board, I zoomed in and can see Roy Lopez and Elijah Mitchell both 6th round guys from that class.

I noticed this live and instantly remembered these guys like to play games so assumed it was some sort of bait lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s 2021s board, I zoomed in and can see Roy Lopez and Elijah Mitchell both 6th round guys from that class.

I noticed this live and instantly remembered these guys like to play games so assumed it was some sort of bait lol

haha it's not even bait lol - they always have the previous year's draft written up with all the picks on in the draft room
when they showed us what the new war room looks like last year they had 2020's picks all written up too

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
yes he was moved around the formation and I believe that is part of the reason he slid in the draft. I'm not worried about his clocked 40 time because his playtime is fast.
Naw bro.. i like hamilton but he do look slow af on the field honestly but its not a big deal imo.. not like he cb.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was very high on him before the senior bowl tbh.

Yeah if you wanna be annoyed as fuck that we’re supposedly interested

just had a quick look

dude's so thin, it's wild - can clearly see the testing speed on the field and the length and has decent hands - but he's not got play-strength, doesnt have much route nuance, limited route tree and not a threat to ever break a tackle

good ball tracking but doesnt seem to consistently come back to the ball

some nice traits for sure, but the play-strength could kill him - he's gonna get pressed into oblivion in the NFL and he's not gonna break tackles in the short game