• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

Simba

Staff Member
I'd really like to see us make 4 picks before and including 86. Anyone think it's possible to do that?
Only way I see that being possible is if we take a sizable drop down in a trade back. Not even convinced a more standard trade back is going to happen in all honesty.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Only way I see that being possible is if we take a sizable drop down in a trade back. Not even convinced a more standard trade back is going to happen in all honesty.
Right I'm thinking we might trade back multiple times and out of the 1st all together.

At the same time though, I could see us sticking at 22 and then actually being aggressive with our 3rd round pick and trying to move up given how weak the back end of the draft is

Simba

Staff Member
Right I'm thinking we might trade back multiple times and out of the 1st all together.

At the same time though, I could see us sticking at 22 and then actually being aggressive with our 3rd round pick and trying to move up given how weak the back end of the draft is
Yeah I'm curious to see how we approach it. I think we'd love to move back, but the standard caveat... someone needs to want to come up as well. Last time we had a draft class of this relative weakness, we wanted to move back but the phone didn't ring. All it takes is 1 but I'd levy caution on the thought that it's easy breezy.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm curious to see how we approach it. I think we'd love to move back, but the standard caveat... someone needs to want to come up as well. Last time we had a draft class of this relative weakness, we wanted to move back but the phone didn't ring. All it takes is 1 but I'd levy caution on the thought that it's easy breezy.
It's not, but people might want to move up because the backend is so bad. Who knows. I'd just like us to be able to have more picks before the end of RD3 because I'm really not going to be excited about many guys in RD4 and beyond

Simba

Staff Member
It's not, but people might want to move up because the backend is so bad. Who knows. I'd just like us to be able to have more picks before the end of RD3 because I'm really not going to be excited about many guys in RD4 and beyond
I think we are in a good spot in that regard. Even if teams do only have 20ish 1st round grades (just making an assumption here for the sake of argument), there's no saying that all teams have the same 20 guys. So there's bound to be at least a few 1st round grades available at 22 - which then begs the question if they're willing to give up an extra pick to go get that guy or if they're in the normal boat where guys at the back end of the 1st and front end of the 2nd are all similarly graded. For me personally, I would have a lot of trouble differentiating those guys.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think we are in a good spot in that regard. Even if teams do only have 20ish 1st round grades (just making an assumption here for the sake of argument), there's no saying that all teams have the same 20 guys. So there's bound to be at least a few 1st round grades available at 22 - which then begs the question if they're willing to give up an extra pick to go get that guy or if they're in the normal boat where guys at the back end of the 1st and front end of the 2nd are all similarly graded. For me personally, I would have a lot of trouble differentiating those guys.
Exactly!

To me, the only guys I am even considering taking at 22 are:

Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Joey Porter Jr.
Deonte Banks
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes

Jalen Carter
Calijah Kancey
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy
Lukas Van Ness
Nolan Smith

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
Paris Johnson

Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Jordan Addison
Zay Flowers

Bijan Robinson

That's 23 guys. We're guaranteed 2 of these guys.

Last edited:
Exactly!

Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Joey Porter Jr.
Deonte Banks
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Jordan Addison
Zay Flowers

Bijan Robinson

That's only 17 guys

No Nolan Smith?

Simba

Staff Member
Exactly!

Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Joey Porter Jr.
Deonte Banks
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Jordan Addison
Zay Flowers

Bijan Robinson

That's only 17 guys
Not saying I agree with all of the names you have listed, but that's very Ravens specific of course

Still have all of the following that are probably garnering 1st round grades for teams:
Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
Paris Johnson
Dalton Kincaid
Brian Branch
Nolan Smith
Lukas Van Ness
Probably a couple others I'm forgetting

So it's easy to have 20 1st round grades per team, but doesn't mean those teams all have the same 20 guys.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not saying I agree with all of the names you have listed, but that's very Ravens specific of course

Still have all of the following that are probably garnering 1st round grades for teams:
Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
Paris Johnson
Dalton Kincaid
Brian Branch
Nolan Smith
Lukas Van Ness
Probably a couple others I'm forgetting

So it's easy to have 20 1st round grades per team, but doesn't mean those teams all have the same 20 guys.
Yes absolutely that was a very Ravens based board, not generally so. I think it is even fair to add those 3 OL to the Ravens board. That puts it at 20. Will edit

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly!

Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Joey Porter Jr.
Deonte Banks
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Jordan Addison
Zay Flowers

Bijan Robinson

That's only 17 guys
Keep in mind, you're ignoring a big position we likely aren't drafting in the first round, offensive linemen. Probably like four of those go before our pick. Likely one or two TEs as well since this draft has some high end talent there. Not to mention that there's always a few surprises early.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Keep in mind, you're ignoring a big position we likely aren't drafting in the first round, offensive linemen. Probably like four of those go before our pick. Likely one or two TEs as well since this draft has some high end talent there. Not to mention that there's always a few surprises early.
Already edited to add the OL

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is a lazy answer as this is from the NFL's website, but when I watch him, I do see all these things.

• Slender through waist and hips, with a need for more mass.
  • Unable to generate speed-to-power conversion.
  • Rush plan can be monotonous and lacking counters.
  • Squared up punch from tackle can derail his pass rush.
  • Unable to control block and shed quickly.
  • Exerts excessive strain to battle tackles at the point of attack.
  • Very average pursuit speed for a smaller player.

This is a lazy answer as this is from the NFL's website, but when I watch him, I do see all these things.

• Slender through waist and hips, with a need for more mass.
  • Unable to generate speed-to-power conversion.
  • Rush plan can be monotonous and lacking counters.
  • Squared up punch from tackle can derail his pass rush.
  • Unable to control block and shed quickly.
  • Exerts excessive strain to battle tackles at the point of attack.
  • Very average pursuit speed for a smaller player.

I thought he controlled blocks and shed well but I could be wrong. As for the others I think it’s all fixable. I think he would be an interesting addition to the “positionless” defense we like to play at times.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I thought he controlled blocks and shed well but I could be wrong. As for the others I think it’s all fixable. I think he would be an interesting addition to the “positionless” defense we like to play at times.
I'd personally rather see us draft BJ Ojulari, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, or Adetomiwa Adebawore if we miss out on the top top guys which we certainly will

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

The Ravens do seem to have some interest in Anthony Richardson. Obviously nothing may come of it, but it's an interesting thing to keep in mind.

Simba

Staff Member

The Ravens do seem to have some interest in Anthony Richardson. Obviously nothing may come of it, but it's an interesting thing to keep in mind.

It's the right thing to do regardless. We've met with other top QBs in the past as well so I don't necessarily think it indicates anything despite what the optics may say. General point is that you can meet with as many players as you want out there in a multitude of ways, so burning a 30 visit on a QB isn't necessarily an indicator.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

also have to have a guys we want to move back to...
may be that this feels like the perriman year (and obviously that didnt pan out) or the ed reed year where we get to 22 and there's only 1 guy left on the board with a grade we like that high so we just take him rather than trading down and jumping down to the next cluster/tier