• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly!

To me, the only guys I am even considering taking at 22 are:

Devon Witherspoon
Christian Gonzalez
Joey Porter Jr.
Deonte Banks
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson

Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
Paris Johnson

Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Jordan Addison
Zay Flowers

Bijan Robinson

That's 20 guys

calijah kancey???

lukas van ness and nolan smith likely going high too
some team may fall in love with bresee
seen a bunch of prognosticators talk about jahmyrr gibbs as a 1st rounder and darnell wright too...
Quentin Johnston
The TEs!!!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
calijah kancey???

lukas van ness and nolan smith likely going high too
some team may fall in love with bresee
seen a bunch of prognosticators talk about jahmyrr gibbs as a 1st rounder and darnell wright too...
Quentin Johnston
The TEs!!!
This is my personal Ravens specific board. I would not be opposed to adding Kancey Smith, and Van Ness. I would not add any TEs and I personally cannot take QJ at 22. I just can't. Updating now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd personally rather see us draft BJ Ojulari, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, or Adetomiwa Adebawore if we miss out on the top top guys which we certainly will

i like Ojulari, but if you like him, not sure why you wouldnt like smith or will mcdonald....

absolutely love FAU and not sure why there arent more people hyping him up... still dont understand what im missing - why is he not universally regarded as a top 5 EDGE in this class?

not a fan of Adebawore... stiff tweener type - workout warrior who's been pushed way too high up the board i think

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is my personal Ravens specific board. I would not be opposed to adding Kancey Smith, and Van Ness. I would not add any TEs and I personally cannot take QJ at 22. I just can't. Updating now

was more to point out that there's a lot more than 20 guys you can imagine going in the 1st round (and ahead of pick 22) than actually suggesting we should want them specifically for the ravens...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i like Ojulari, but if you like him, not sure why you wouldnt like smith or will mcdonald....

absolutely love FAU and not sure why there arent more people hyping him up... still dont understand what im missing - why is he not universally regarded as a top 5 EDGE in this class?

not a fan of Adebawore... stiff tweener type - workout warrior who's been pushed way too high up the board i think
I like Ojulari as a RD2 guy which is where I'd also like Smith. I've seen zero first round mocking of Ojulari. But Smith is exclusively mocked RD1

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
was more to point out that there's a lot more than 20 guys you can imagine going in the 1st round (and ahead of pick 22) than actually suggesting we should want them specifically for the ravens...
Totally. Teams are saying they've only got about 20 guys with 1st round grades on their personal boards, but this is a strong RD1 overall. Its just that it falls off after day 2 immensely

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i guess my question would be... why are the OTs on there?
we wont be taking them

skoronski i can understand because he looks like someone you can reasonably expect to play both LT and LG
Yeah Skoronski definitely seems like he can. You think the other 2 definitely can't? The Ravens have been sort of extremely weird about OL flexibility and that's why I included them. Like Mekari playing all 5, Hurst doing that before him, Faalele is competing for LG etc etc.

Ravens seemingly don't care

Simba

Staff Member
Totally. Teams are saying they've only got about 20 guys with 1st round grades on their personal boards, but this is a strong RD1 overall. Its just that it falls off after day 2 immensely
Depends how you look at it though. A lot of these guys may be looked at as 1st rounders but that doesn’t mean they’re graded as that. There are quite a few on your list I do not have 1st round grades on personally.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there's a lot of guys with flaws
people who are scheme/situation specific - especially when you look at the EDGE/WR/CB classes - lots of guys with high-end traits but who might only work in certain systems and that's before we even engage with the RB issue, and the Kancey issue and the jalen carter issue

but also it's only 1 team reported as saying they've only got less than 20 or whatever - the assumption is that other team agree but not necessarily

id also bet you that a team picking in the late 20s probably has more than 20 lol

makes sense that boards are gonna be all over the place in this class

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Depends how you look at it though. A lot of these guys may be looked at as 1st rounders but that doesn’t mean they’re graded as that. There are quite a few on your list I do not have 1st round grades on personally.

and if we take away the guys with "late 1st" grades on mine - the guys you're typically hoping to get as value picks later in the 1st and not in the middle of the round, i've only got 15 proper 1st rounders

the late 1st, early 2nd is really thick in this class but that doesnt help teams drafting between 17ish-35ish

there are guys id happily take at 22 that id rather not...

the 15 guys im not questioning (not stacked):
Jalen Carter
Calijah Kancey
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy
Christian Gonzalez
Devon Witherspoon
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson
Peter Skoronski
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Zay Flowers

of those guys, id say the only reasonable bets to make it to 22 are Kancey, Smith, Forbes and Flowers

there's only really 1 other guy who, at any point, has been graded by me in that same group: Bijan Robinson

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's been fun speculating about this draft but it's gonna all go out the window when there's a draft day trade for Hopkins lmao

Simba

Staff Member
and if we take away the guys with "late 1st" grades on mine - the guys you're typically hoping to get as value picks later in the 1st and not in the middle of the round, i've only got 15 proper 1st rounders

the late 1st, early 2nd is really thick in this class but that doesnt help teams drafting between 17ish-35ish

there are guys id happily take at 22 that id rather not...

the 15 guys im not questioning (not stacked):
Jalen Carter
Calijah Kancey
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy
Christian Gonzalez
Devon Witherspoon
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson
Peter Skoronski
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Zay Flowers

of those guys, id say the only reasonable bets to make it to 22 are Kancey, Smith, Forbes and Flowers

there's only really 1 other guy who, at any point, has been graded by me in that same group: Bijan Robinson
See, even you have a few guys there that I don’t have that sure fire 1st round grade on - Kancey, Forbes, Flowers, and Murphy.

Just speaks to how draft boards are and why I don’t see this as a particularly strong class. Get the argument for some of those guys being 1st round grades but also don’t buy that teams do if that makes sense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See, even you have a few guys there that I don’t have that sure fire 1st round grade on - Kancey, Forbes, Flowers, and Murphy.

Just speaks to how draft boards are and why I don’t see this as a particularly strong class. Get the argument for some of those guys being 1st round grades but also don’t buy that teams do if that makes sense.

100%
some teams will have Kancey and Forbes outside of the 1st entirely due to outlier sizes
Flowers will be a flavour kind of thing
Murphy i struggle to see as anything but a 1st rounder but can see why he'd be more of a later 1st rounder than solidly in the middle

but for me they're all 1st round guys

Simba

Staff Member
100%
some teams will have Kancey and Forbes outside of the 1st entirely due to outlier sizes
Flowers will be a flavour kind of thing
Murphy i struggle to see as anything but a 1st rounder but can see why he'd be more of a later 1st rounder than solidly in the middle

but for me they're all 1st round guys
And to be clear, I have them all in my late 1st-early 2nd bucket, which is historically one where I struggle to differentiate. So it’s not like it’s a drastic difference, but enough where I’d have a decision to make if that’s what was left on my board

Murphy on particular has been one I’ve waffled on. Like so many things but just feel like theres high bust potential there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And to be clear, I have them all in my late 1st-early 2nd bucket, which is historically one where I struggle to differentiate.

Murphy on particular has been one I’ve waffled on. Like so many things but just feel like theres high bust potential there.

i dont think there's much bust potential - at the very least he feels safe in the sense that he's got the frame, athleticism and length to be a good run defender immediately

the projection is the pass rush (beyond just the long arm) which is where you wonder how much value can he offer you and how likely is that to happen

as a sort of related aside: interested to know how you feel about Van Ness, Zach Harrison, Anudike-Uzomah, Keion White, Derick Hall?