• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

Simba

Staff Member
still only got grades on 150ish guys right now but certainly feels like there's a significant fall-off after the 4th round

feels like a pretty decent class before that fall-off though - held up, as you say, by certain positions (CB, EDGE, TE and some OL and WR depth on day 2 and early day 3)
Personally, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt toward the end of the draft, so my number is typically higher than most. If a guy has one trait I feel like can keep them fighting for a spot in the league, they usually get that late day 3 bucket from me. So the fact that mine is only at 180 speaks volumes I feel.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Personally, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt toward the end of the draft, so my number is typically higher than most. If a guy has one trait I feel like can keep them fighting for a spot in the league, they usually get that late day 3 bucket from me. So the fact that mine is only at 180 speaks volumes I feel.

for sure - you've also watched more guys than me - i imagine my number will get larger as i watch more guys

Simba

Staff Member

This doesn't feel too surprising. Always felt it was Young going #1 this year and we've heard many reports that for the Texans, it was Young or bust. Rare case where I support a team not making the play for a QB when they're in such a prime position. It's a team that just needs so much help. Continue getting the best players you can and worry about the QB when there's a vet or a prospect you actually believe in.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This doesn't feel too surprising. Always felt it was Young going #1 this year and we've heard many reports that for the Texans, it was Young or bust. Rare case where I support a team not making the play for a QB when they're in such a prime position. It's a team that just needs so much help. Continue getting the best players you can and worry about the QB when there's a vet or a prospect you actually believe in.
Does this mean we might see something like a BY number 1, an AR15 number 4 and a significant drop for Stroud? I don't buy Levis going in the 1st at all

Simba

Staff Member
Does this mean we might see something like a BY number 1, an AR15 number 4 and a significant drop for Stroud? I don't buy Levis going in the 1st at all
I'd still be surprised if the top 3 aren't gone in the top 15ish, and still think Levis goes round 1 too. Think the Raiders are a sneaky destination for AR and/or Stroud and think Detroit would be open to making a play in a certain range.

Looking much more likely that the Cardinals hold the cards at 3 though. Think Houston just sees Will Anderson and is having trouble saying no, and I don't blame them.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'd still be surprised if the top 3 aren't gone in the top 15ish, and still think Levis goes round 1 too. Think the Raiders are a sneaky destination for AR and/or Stroud and think Detroit would be open to making a play in a certain range.

Looking much more likely that the Cardinals hold the cards at 3 though. Think Houston just sees Will Anderson and is having trouble saying no, and I don't blame them.
I wonder how far Stroud has to drop before EDC tries to pull the trigger

Simba

Staff Member
I wonder how far Stroud has to drop before EDC tries to pull the trigger
I don't think he would. Think AR has to be appealing but just get the sense Stroud is the QB you settle for this year.

Honestly, wouldn't be too surprised if Houston still ends up with him. They're sitting there at 12 with the capital to go up and get him if they need to.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't think he would. Think AR has to be appealing but just get the sense Stroud is the QB you settle for this year.

Honestly, wouldn't be too surprised if Houston still ends up with him. They're sitting there at 12 with the capital to go up and get him if they need to.
I see Stroud as being a good QB in this league. Maybe it takes till year 2, but imo I don't see him as a settle. To me he and BY are the clear top 2. I think AR is a gamble but is your classic high risk high reward guy. Levis I think is actually trash

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Saw earlier that it was reported that one team has under 20 1st round grades. Not sure if it was the same team, but in the same report, one team had only 120 draftable prospects.
That's straight up yikes. I get it though. I think once day 3 comes it's gonna be wild

Simba

Staff Member
That's straight up yikes. I get it though. I think once day 3 comes it's gonna be wild
Agreed. I don't think it'll be Covid year levels, but I absolutely think beginning in round 3 (to a much lesser extent) we're going to start seeing some real head scratcher picks. Round 5 and on might as well be dart throws.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Agreed. I don't think it'll be Covid year levels, but I absolutely think beginning in round 3 (to a much lesser extent) we're going to start seeing some real head scratcher picks. Round 5 and on might as well be dart throws.
Traits will mean draft picks

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Feels like we’re in key lying season…
Not sure I buy much, if any, of this