• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

Simba

Staff Member
i dont think there's much bust potential - at the very least he feels safe in the sense that he's got the frame, athleticism and length to be a good run defender immediately

the projection is the pass rush (beyond just the long arm) which is where you wonder how much value can he offer you and how likely is that to happen

as a sort of related aside: interested to know how you feel about Van Ness, Zach Harrison, Anudike-Uzomah, Keion White, Derick Hall?
Yeah when I say busy, I guess I should say that I feel he’s liable to end up more solid than special. Just wish he had more tools in the tool bag. He can add them of course

Like Van Ness a lot. Will be curious to see how he gets used in the NFL because the frame still looks like it has room to grow. Gave him a 1

Keion White is an interesting one. Intriguing traits but still raw and concerns me with him being an older rookie. 1-2 grade.

Anudike is a fun one. Doesn’t have all of the physical stuff but understands his game and how to use what he’s got. Got my 1-2 bucket

Harrison was a surprise for me. Just liked his overall game. Gave him a 3.

Hall was one I could see some of the appeal but wasn’t in love. Gave him a late day 2, early day 3

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
100%
some teams will have Kancey and Forbes outside of the 1st entirely due to outlier sizes
Flowers will be a flavour kind of thing
Murphy i struggle to see as anything but a 1st rounder but can see why he'd be more of a later 1st rounder than solidly in the middle

but for me they're all 1st round guys
Kancey has dark horse best player out of this class potential.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
and if we take away the guys with "late 1st" grades on mine - the guys you're typically hoping to get as value picks later in the 1st and not in the middle of the round, i've only got 15 proper 1st rounders

the late 1st, early 2nd is really thick in this class but that doesnt help teams drafting between 17ish-35ish

there are guys id happily take at 22 that id rather not...

the 15 guys im not questioning (not stacked):
Jalen Carter
Calijah Kancey
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Myles Murphy
Christian Gonzalez
Devon Witherspoon
Cam Smith
Emmanuel Forbes
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson
Peter Skoronski
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Zay Flowers

of those guys, id say the only reasonable bets to make it to 22 are Kancey, Smith, Forbes and Flowers

there's only really 1 other guy who, at any point, has been graded by me in that same group: Bijan Robinson
Which of these CBs do you feel will fall to the mid-late 20s WHEN we trade back? Yes, I'm becoming more confident that we're trading back (gut feeling). This isn't me #SIIE'ing or reverse-jinxing.

How would y’all feel if Ravens took Bijan at 22? Dobbins and Gus are FAs after this season…

Hypothetically Can still trade for DHop and sign MP or Ya-Sin to fill out the roster as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah when I say busy, I guess I should say that I feel he’s liable to end up more solid than special. Just wish he had more tools in the tool bag. He can add them of course

Like Van Ness a lot. Will be curious to see how he gets used in the NFL because the frame still looks like it has room to grow. Gave him a 1

Keion White is an interesting one. Intriguing traits but still raw and concerns me with him being an older rookie. 1-2 grade.

Anudike is a fun one. Doesn’t have all of the physical stuff but understands his game and how to use what he’s got. Got my 1-2 bucket

Harrison was a surprise for me. Just liked his overall game. Gave him a 3.

Hall was one I could see some of the appeal but wasn’t in love. Gave him a late day 2, early day 3

Van Ness, is a guy I’m just not sure about - he’s got a bunch of athletic tools but he’s got 1 rush in his toolkit and some key traits that mean he’s probably guaranteed to be in the rotation but not sure how much he’ll progress beyond that - he’s constantly somewhere between late 1 and early 2 for me

Keion white feels like a crazy prospect to evaluate - how does someone with those traits not make an impact that gets him to declare earlier? And if he’s coming out so late why is he still so much of a project? All projection when looking at him

I love FAU - he just looks like a solid, skilled guy with a high floor and the bend and moves to make a major impact early and often

Think I got too high on Harrison originally but that length and power and I see some explosion too - pro day said otherwise but I thought I saw some nice bend on tape - got a 2 on him but realise I’m higher than consensus

Was wondering if we’d agree on hall and I think we do - get off and that explosive power in his long-arm but he’s linear and a bit stiff

Do you like Isaiah foskey at all?
What do you think about yaya diaby?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How would y’all feel if Ravens took Bijan at 22? Dobbins and Gus are FAs after this season…

Hypothetically Can still trade for DHop and sign MP or Ya-Sin to fill out the roster as well.

Frustrated - he’s a great prospect but idk that he’s franchise altering and think you can look at the history of teams that thought they were 1 franchise RB away finding out that they’re not and I’d be a little annoyed

Would enjoy watching him for the next however many years but also frustrated with the lack of positional value with our top round picks the last few years (safety, center, LB, RB)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Can we find a way to get one of the guys from each of these 2 groups in this draft?

JSN
Addison
Flowers
QJ

Witherspoon
Gonzalez
Smith
Forbes
Banks
JPJ
Stevenson

I just don't see it being possible

Simba

Staff Member
Van Ness, is a guy I’m just not sure about - he’s got a bunch of athletic tools but he’s got 1 rush in his toolkit and some key traits that mean he’s probably guaranteed to be in the rotation but not sure how much he’ll progress beyond that - he’s constantly somewhere between late 1 and early 2 for me

Keion white feels like a crazy prospect to evaluate - how does someone with those traits not make an impact that gets him to declare earlier? And if he’s coming out so late why is he still so much of a project? All projection when looking at him

I love FAU - he just looks like a solid, skilled guy with a high floor and the bend and moves to make a major impact early and often

Think I got too high on Harrison originally but that length and power and I see some explosion too - pro day said otherwise but I thought I saw some nice bend on tape - got a 2 on him but realise I’m higher than consensus

Was wondering if we’d agree on hall and I think we do - get off and that explosive power in his long-arm but he’s linear and a bit stiff

Do you like Isaiah foskey at all?
What do you think about yaya diaby?
On Keion White, he's a TE convert. Has a few years under his belt but didn't really get proper coaching until he got to GT in 2021. Still concerned that he needs so much work but like many, I can see the appeal.

I do like both Foskey and Diaby.

Diaby was actually one of my surprises. Expected to see a guy on tape that relied solely on athleticism, but saw a lot more understanding of his position and how to set himself up than I was expecting. Still a good amount of work to do but can't teach that first step and explosion. Gave him a solid 3.

When watching Foskey, I couldn't get Sam Hubbard out of my head. Not this guy that is going to come in and take over games consistently, but just does everything well and makes it hard to keep him off of the field. Think the upside is a little more limited so I gave him that 3/4 grade, but I could easily see him going earlier and cementing a spot early in his career.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Notes from David Blackburn

JSN - Really good player, outperformed Wilson and Olave in 2021. Sees some Cooper Kupp and Amonra St. Brown in him. Can he play outside is the question? Guys with his skillset can dominate the league.

Flowers - "pure electricity". Can play outside even though that wouldn't be expected for his size. In the past small guys weren't coveted, now the game is about space and pace. He plays big and physical and his dog mentality is what separates him.

Addison - Best route runner in the draft. Everything is effortless. Excellent hands, productive. Benefited from great QB play at Pitt and USC.

JPJ and Deonte Banks - Both really good players. Similarities are they can both play man. JPJ has length and long speed. Banks is twitchy and a muscled up guy. He's also a little more versatile. JPJ is an eraser though.

Emmanuel Forbes - Mad numbers of pick six's. If you do it in college, you're gonna do it in the league. Forbes has those Marcus Peters like instincts. Mature dude with a good demeanor.

There are similarities in the 2023 vs 2019 class for WR in terms of the depth. Good players in the second and third round. There are a lot of guys we're excited about. From the first round all the way to the end there are guys with traits that we know can come in and contribute. Very unique class with small shifty guys, big X high pointers, speedsters etc. In any range we'll be able to take a really good guy.

The draft is imperfect. We've been struck by injuries, its been really bad. We were a really hot offense the first month. Losing Bateman was really tough. There are flavors of guys, there are scheme fits, QB fits. It's not all about testing numbers. Lots of guys with good tape and finding the right fit have really great careers.

We've been good at drafting CB because we don't treat them differently than the defense as a whole. We take guys who are big, long, physical, have that edge to them. Marlon had everything we wanted. Had 2 years of starting experience, at a big program, had tape against big time WRs.

Jaylon Duncan - Athletic OT with all the tools you want. Has starting LT ability.

Jakorian Bennett - Speedy, plays fast, tough, scrappy, super smart, can play anywhere in the secondary. We love that for the way we play our defense. Dominated senior bowl, plays ST. Got everything we're looking for.

Rakim Jarrett - Physical, fast, good hands, has a lot of confidence. Won't be overwhelmed at the next level, wouldn't be surprised if he can carve at a role for himself early from whoever drafts him.

Deep QB class because of our scheme change, what we're going to ask our QB to do. Roman limited us to zone read guys. We needed speed and athleticism. Now its way more wide open. Find guys who can come in and play. Day 3 has a lot of good guys. Guys who are smart and have thrown for a lot of yards.

Wouldn't be surprised if we make more than 5 picks, but our team is ready to win. So we could pick five really quality guys and be good to go. We have had multiple classes where we went with only 5 or 6 picks and they were really strong classes.

February is when we set the board. You do a lot of back and forth and standing on the table then and in April meetings. Coaches come in with fresh sets of eyes later. Harbs does a great job of bringing up other points of view. We're in a good rhythm and the heavy lifting has been done.

Pepe was a Blackburn guy. We had a lot of guys who did well in our last rookie class. Hamilton had some rough patches and end has looked like the guy you'd expect him too. Linderbaum fought through injury and is pancaking guys on MNF. Guys who had some adversity are already back in the building working.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Just my personal opinion but I think after listening to Blackburn that Cam Smith and Addison might really be high on the Ravens boards. And don't be surprised if we take Jakorian Bennett if he slips at all

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Notes from David Blackburn

JSN - Really good player, outperformed Wilson and Olave in 2021. Sees some Cooper Kupp and Amonra St. Brown in him. Can he play outside is the question? Guys with his skillset can dominate the league.

Flowers - "pure electricity". Can play outside even though that wouldn't be expected for his size. In the past small guys weren't coveted, now the game is about space and pace. He plays big and physical and his dog mentality is what separates him.

Addison - Best route runner in the draft. Everything is effortless. Excellent hands, productive. Benefited from great QB play at Pitt and USC.

JPJ and Deonte Banks - Both really good players. Similarities are they can both play man. JPJ has length and long speed. Banks is twitchy and a muscled up guy. He's also a little more versatile. JPJ is an eraser though.

Emmanuel Forbes - Mad numbers of pick six's. If you do it in college, you're gonna do it in the league. Forbes has those Marcus Peters like instincts. Mature dude with a good demeanor.

There are similarities in the 2023 vs 2019 class for WR in terms of the depth. Good players in the second and third round. There are a lot of guys we're excited about. From the first round all the way to the end there are guys with traits that we know can come in and contribute. Very unique class with small shifty guys, big X high pointers, speedsters etc. In any range we'll be able to take a really good guy.

The draft is imperfect. We've been struck by injuries, its been really bad. We were a really hot offense the first month. Losing Bateman was really tough. There are flavors of guys, there are scheme fits, QB fits. It's not all about testing numbers. Lots of guys with good tape and finding the right fit have really great careers.

We've been good at drafting CB because we don't treat them differently than the defense as a whole. We take guys who are big, long, physical, have that edge to them. Marlon had everything we wanted. Had 2 years of starting experience, at a big program, had tape against big time WRs.

Jaylon Duncan - Athletic OT with all the tools you want. Has starting LT ability.

Jakorian Bennett - Speedy, plays fast, tough, scrappy, super smart, can play anywhere in the secondary. We love that for the way we play our defense. Dominated senior bowl, plays ST. Got everything we're looking for.

Rakim Jarrett - Physical, fast, good hands, has a lot of confidence. Won't be overwhelmed at the next level, wouldn't be surprised if he can carve at a role for himself early from whoever drafts him.

Deep QB class because of our scheme change, what we're going to ask our QB to do. Roman limited us to zone read guys. We needed speed and athleticism. Now its way more wide open. Find guys who can come in and play. Day 3 has a lot of good guys. Guys who are smart and have thrown for a lot of yards.

Wouldn't be surprised if we make more than 5 picks, but our team is ready to win. So we could pick five really quality guys and be good to go. We have had multiple classes where we went with only 5 or 6 picks and they were really strong classes.

February is when we set the board. You do a lot of back and forth and standing on the table then and in April meetings. Coaches come in with fresh sets of eyes later. Harbs does a great job of bringing up other points of view. We're in a good rhythm and the heavy lifting has been done.

Pepe was a Blackburn guy. We had a lot of guys who did well in our last rookie class. Hamilton had some rough patches and end has looked like the guy you'd expect him too. Linderbaum fought through injury and is pancaking guys on MNF. Guys who had some adversity are already back in the building working.
Can’t wait to listen to this on my way to work