• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Running Game and The When Will these Injuries ever end?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Mad and Queen were extremely impressive yesterday. Like whole new players. Hopefully they keep it up. Leek and Washington were really flashing too

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pretty telling that Demarcus (3 weeks in) came in and got more snaps / looks than Proche. We should probably stop the proche fairytale

remember proche barely practiced for 3 weeks - may well be he's also on a ramp up given he only got 5 snaps
i cant possibly imagine he's going to be getting only 5 snaps a game

also worth noting though (more generally) that we averaged less than 2 WRs on the field per snap yesterday - something to keep watching

rossihunter2

Staff Member
3. I thought the defense was good, BUT, I will say that I think the secondary got lucky a lot. Jets dropped a lot of passes. I recall at least 3-4 extremely catchable balls, and maybe more. One was for a TD, and at least one other I recall was like a huge 3rd down drop. I don't think it changes the outcome of the game, but there were open receivers frequently with clear separation that just didn't make plays. I don't know that I want to see that every week.
Some of that could be schematic, but felt like there were some key "stops" that involved dropped passes, not necessarily high execution from the D.

i cant speak to all of the plays that got away - but the TD drop is worth noting that it was on PQ (i think in man coverage) who got beat rather than any of the secondary - he generally had a good game but that 4th down TD drop was on him not the secondary

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Okay so I thought I saw Patrick queen looking like one of the absolute best players on the field, I turn on 105.7 and rob long and callers are roasting Patrick queen. Rob said “I saw Marcus Williams playing more downhill than Patrick queen” and callers saying “Patrick queen keeps over pursuing”

WHAT GAME DID THEY WATCH??? Patrick queen lived in the backfield.

Queen had 2 blown plays the whole game i think - 1 led to a 20ish yard run, the other should have been a TD - outside of those 2 plays though he was dominating... took another step in man coverage, ill have to watch the all-22 to see how he did in zone, but was dynamic coming downhill and put on a masterclass of delayed blitz technique and had a bajillion pressures... he had 8 tackles and 3 QB hits lol what are these guys watching? PQ also did all this as the LB in dime and played 100% of the snaps... i think it's finally clicked for him!!!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Queen had 2 blown plays the whole game i think - 1 led to a 20ish yard run, the other should have been a TD - outside of those 2 plays though he was dominating... took another step in man coverage, ill have to watch the all-22 to see how he did in zone, but was dynamic coming downhill and put on a masterclass of delayed blitz technique and had a bajillion pressures... he had 8 tackles and 3 QB hits lol what are these guys watching? PQ also did all this as the LB in dime and played 100% of the snaps... i think it's finally clicked for him!!!
I’ve been anticipating superstar shit for PQ, it’s always been very evident, just needed fine tuning, which was also evident, but yeah I’m hoping it’s finally come together for him, looks like it has because he was playing like he was a step ahead and a step faster than everyone else

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been anticipating superstar shit for PQ, it’s always been very evident, just needed fine tuning, which was also evident, but yeah I’m hoping it’s finally come together for him, looks like it has because he was playing like he was a step ahead and a step faster than everyone else

we'll see what happens the rest of the season - but this 2020 draft class, in year 3, looks to be coming of age in a big big way this year - hopefully JK comes back and makes that sentiment even more accurate, and james proche gets back into the fold too because...

PQ and Madubuike both look dominant, and JK too when he was healthy as a rookie
Duvernay, Washington and Harrison all have significant roles in this 2022 team
Stone's a good special teamer and depth piece
and we'll see what happens with Proche's snap counts moving forwards

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he was all over the field. The game seemed to be slowing down for him the last month of last season, but yesterday was just another notch up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

almost like the team adjusted and lamar settled in and suddenly the offence (and the running game) worked again
just need to not automatically run into 8 man boxes early if that's what the defence is giving us... the adjustment was good, just came a little later than it should have - but that's also partly on lamar being hesitant early

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the thread itself is interesting but i think it's worth noting we specifically ran more up-tempo stuff with Huntley last year and also didnt do as much substituting on offence with personnel changes etc. which is probably a major contributing factor to the slowness getting out of the huddle

that said lamar's either got to be demanding the playcall come in quicker or call the play himself quicker (dont know whose "fault" it is)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With 13:00 left in the second quarter, madubuike had a lazy play that cost us. It was a screen, he slowly pursued it even though he was easily in play to make the tackle, others who had a better shot begin the tackle, madubuike gives up on it, but then Michael carter breaks that tackle and gains a first down after that. Madubuike could have and should have helped finish that tackle to make it 3rd and 4

He had a dominant day, but you don’t do that in the nfl. That’s something I hope comes up in film discussion with the coaches.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With 13:00 left in the second quarter, madubuike had a lazy play that cost us. It was a screen, he slowly pursued it even though he was easily in play to make the tackle, others who had a better shot begin the tackle, madubuike gives up on it, but then Michael carter breaks that tackle and gains a first down after that. Madubuike could have and should have helped finish that tackle to make it 3rd and 4

He had a dominant day, but you don’t do that in the nfl. That’s something I hope comes up in film discussion with the coaches.

i just watched the play - i dont see it the same way at all - he pursued at a similar speed to justin houston outside him, didn't overpursue to leave a cutback lane - only slight criticism is that he stopped as the guy was being wrapped (as did houston)

think the only thing on that play that's going to come up is maybe the stopping before the whistle at the end (but nothing about the pursuit) - clark and stephens are the 2 who are gonna get roasted in the film session for that play