• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Dolphins

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is the stuff that bugs the shit out of me regarding not giving Lamar accomplished receivers to throw to. I'm not unhappy about Bateman, Proche, and Duv getting opportunities, but I can't help wonder what Lamar could do with a Tyreek Hill or a Devontae Adams.
Every thing would open up if we had a Tyreek. Tyreek wouldn’t last though with how much we run the ball. He is not the type of dude that enjoys being a decoy.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im not going to be able to watch this weekend, very mad and I was looking forward to this revenge game. I personally hope they apply the same relentless blitzing against us because this should be a symbolic test for Roman, Harbaugh and Lamar after last years debacle. Im relying on the sentiments from you guys to let me know how we did. Most importantly, please god can we avoid injuries. Bengal fans keep saying we complain about injuries too much and every team has them, this is very typical of that fanbase to not grasp football outside of Cincinnati. Don’t even need to get into the historical data with you guys about both teams and how untrue this is the last two years.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still think it’s unfair given our running backs, but I will say this, if Dobbins and Gus truly aren’t back yet then EDC seriously needs to be criticized for neglecting finding suitable replacements 2 years in a row
I do agree this seems to be a decent sized failure in my opinion. Especially when, I think, they had a good understanding of the extent of Edwards injury by the time the draft came around.
I can't say that there were a plethora of great RBs in middle rounds of the draft, because this felt like a weaker draft for RBs than usual, but when you know Edwards recovery is going to be a long one, and Dobbins just had a significant injury, I think you need to do more than add a 6th round RB (who ultimately didn't make the team basically). We should have known you can't depend on FA, even if somebody like Drake or Davis are upgrades.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Quite a few seats still available for this weekends game. What's going on with the locals? Gotta sell out the bank

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every thing would open up if we had a Tyreek. Tyreek wouldn’t last though with how much we run the ball. He is not the type of dude that enjoys being a decoy.
But, heck we can't run the damn ball anymore. I get your point though. However, with Tyreek, I think he would've gotten his catches just given how good he is at getting open and making contested catches. Marquise Hollywood Brown did quite well for himself with targets from Lamar. The problem is he didn't catch all of them and he literally didn't want any YAC!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still think it’s unfair given our running backs, but I will say this, if Dobbins and Gus truly aren’t back yet then EDC seriously needs to be criticized for neglecting finding suitable replacements 2 years in a row
I think you are correct. EDC deserves some blame here too. I think he wants to get by with the cheapest options out there.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
But, heck we can't run the damn ball anymore. I get your point though. However, with Tyreek, I think he would've gotten his catches just given how good he is at getting open and making contested catches. Marquise Hollywood Brown did quite well for himself with targets from Lamar. The problem is he didn't catch all of them and he literally didn't want any YAC!
I think hollywood got better with yac last season..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I think hollywood got better with yac last season..

Hollywood had 396 total YAC last season, which was 4.4 per catch. In 2020 he had 326 (4.7 avg) and in 2019 he had 257 YAC (4.8)

Hill had 4.3 per catch last season for reference. More yards yes, but less YAC.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Roman's run schemes continue to stink this week, I think we need to immediately make a coaching change. Like ASAP.

i mean there was nothing wrong with the run schemes this week - a few missed blocks on a few plays ruined what would have been successful runs... that's all it was - i think you could argue he called too many 1st down runs into an 8 man box but the scheme itself was fine

and if the passing game's working well, why focus on a few run game issues?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do agree this seems to be a decent sized failure in my opinion. Especially when, I think, they had a good understanding of the extent of Edwards injury by the time the draft came around.
I can't say that there were a plethora of great RBs in middle rounds of the draft, because this felt like a weaker draft for RBs than usual, but when you know Edwards recovery is going to be a long one, and Dobbins just had a significant injury, I think you need to do more than add a 6th round RB (who ultimately didn't make the team basically). We should have known you can't depend on FA, even if somebody like Drake or Davis are upgrades.

id say it was a pretty deep RB class but there wasnt a bunch of talent at the very top

there were a load of guys i really liked who came off the board in the 4th and 5th rounds and we certainly could have taken one of them - my favourite, dameon pierce, got taken 3 spots before we took Faalele and zamir white and isaiah spiller who both got taken between our JAD and Kolar picks

certainly a criticism to say they could have been more proactive - but worth pointing out it would have been at the expense of other positions... looking at the guys they would have had to miss out on to have a chance at these guys we're looking at giving up on OT and CB depth where we're already dipping into the depth because of injuries this year also

we're in a much better position with our RB corps without JK and Gus than we were last year

JAAM

Hall of Famer
PFF graded Miami's offensive line as the 8th worst in week 1. Could be huge:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
id say it was a pretty deep RB class but there wasnt a bunch of talent at the very top

there were a load of guys i really liked who came off the board in the 4th and 5th rounds and we certainly could have taken one of them - my favourite, dameon pierce, got taken 3 spots before we took Faalele and zamir white and isaiah spiller who both got taken between our JAD and Kolar picks

certainly a criticism to say they could have been more proactive - but worth pointing out it would have been at the expense of other positions... looking at the guys they would have had to miss out on to have a chance at these guys we're looking at giving up on OT and CB depth where we're already dipping into the depth because of injuries this year also

we're in a much better position with our RB corps without JK and Gus than we were last year
Agreed. Knowing what I know now, I'd have probably gone the route of not taking Kolar or maybe not double dipping at Corner to solve that problem. But that's a bit of hindsight.

Reality is I don't see many paths where Edwards is back next year, and if Dobbins can't regain explosion and appears to be a hindered back, RB becomes a pressing need next year. And we have significantly less draft picks at the moment to make that a priority. So may have been easier to address that in a draft where you have like 10 picks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

given how the Ravens IDL dominated the jets, this could be exciting - especially given the health of the dolphins tackles being in question as well too...

Tua's more mobile than Joe for sure, but he's not particularly comfortable or effective throwing when he's been moved off his spot - he has a quick release but one of the weakest arms in the league and it really becomes obvious when he has to throw off base

interior pressure could destroy their intermediate/deep passing game