• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Dolphins

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Knowing what I know now, I'd have probably gone the route of not taking Kolar or maybe not double dipping at Corner to solve that problem. But that's a bit of hindsight.

Reality is I don't see many paths where Edwards is back next year, and if Dobbins can't regain explosion and appears to be a hindered back, RB becomes a pressing need next year. And we have significantly less draft picks at the moment to make that a priority. So may have been easier to address that in a draft where you have like 10 picks.

of course that's all true, but it must be said that there's very few "bad" RB drafts anymore... mostly because most teams aren't looking for workhorses in every round - very few backfields are 1 man shows anymore which means you're not relying on a guy from college to come in and be an every down guy necessarily which means there's often fairly deep drafts

i guess we'll see what happens with Gus in 2022 and JK will only have a year left on his contract going into 2023 anyway also so i imagine the ravens will be looking pretty closely at the top RB prospects in the 2023 class

i dont think ive got any issues though tbh with what they've done at RB in 2022 - JK's back soon, Drake looks fine, Hill's better than anyone we had in 2021 too - Davis always felt like a journeyman who made little sense and even moreso once we acquired Drake - the running game issues in week 1 were far more about TEs than they were about RBs

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

given how the Ravens IDL dominated the jets, this could be exciting - especially given the health of the dolphins tackles being in question as well too...

Tua's more mobile than Joe for sure, but he's not particularly comfortable or effective throwing when he's been moved off his spot - he has a quick release but one of the weakest arms in the league and it really becomes obvious when he has to throw off base

interior pressure could destroy their intermediate/deep passing game

You know what I fear? The almost sacks rear their ugly head. Perfect game for PQ, Hamilton, Williams, etc. to have their best games collectively tackling.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean there was nothing wrong with the run schemes this week - a few missed blocks on a few plays ruined what would have been successful runs... that's all it was - i think you could argue he called too many 1st down runs into an 8 man box but the scheme itself was fine

and if the passing game's working well, why focus on a few run game issues?
After watching the breakdown of our run game on YouTube by Cole Jackson, you may be correct. It seems like we missed a lot of assignments in blocking, leaving at least one Jets player open to making the tackle. Our O-line was manhandled by the D-line of the Jets repeatedly and pushed back. That coupled with missed assignments contributed to the poor outcome. Having said all this, I still want Roman fired! lol!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Parsing Zrebiec's tweets/replies the last hour or so it seems to me like JK's basically ready to go - reading between the lines it sounds like he was a full participant today and Zrebiec actively said he looked good

Would also seem like Stanley's still not close - was practicing again today but is still limited to individual drills

peters seems hardest to make out but sounds like he's been a full participant in full team drills for longest out of the 3 of them and in all the stuff we've seen has seemed to be moving unencumbered - i wonder if his stadium runs before the jets game were a sign of frustration for him that he was being held out when he thought he was ready (and if that theory is right then i wonder if he was held out partly because of the weather)

will be interesting to see the practice report that comes out tonight to see how each of these guys are described and if any of them are described as being full participants or whether they're all still described as limited

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
There’s still a lot of Covid paranoia in certain areas, that may have something to do with it. I’ve seen people riding in cars, by themselves, wearing a mask. lol
lol bro that is heartbreaking but not surprising. I visited my parents in Annapolis two weeks ago and some lady wearing a mask gave me a death stare while we were both on the jogging trail as I went by without a mask.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do agree this seems to be a decent sized failure in my opinion. Especially when, I think, they had a good understanding of the extent of Edwards injury by the time the draft came around.
I can't say that there were a plethora of great RBs in middle rounds of the draft, because this felt like a weaker draft for RBs than usual, but when you know Edwards recovery is going to be a long one, and Dobbins just had a significant injury, I think you need to do more than add a 6th round RB (who ultimately didn't make the team basically). We should have known you can't depend on FA, even if somebody like Drake or Davis are upgrades.
I was so disappointed to see him not make the team, just figured he’d be decent. And man is Justice Hill bad, sometimes I feel like it’s not his fault as he’s usually setup to get blown up or run into a wall, but he just never seems to do anything positive

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was so disappointed to see him not make the team, just figured he’d be decent. And man is Justice Hill bad, sometimes I feel like it’s not his fault as he’s usually setup to get blown up or run into a wall, but he just never seems to do anything positive

justice hill was fine on sunday
but also he's not just there to be a RB, he's also the premier gunner on this roster and that means he was always making the team
and badie showed almost nothing in preseason to suggest that he was able or ready to take on NFL defences as a runner... missed some reads, didn't break many tackles, didn't make guys miss etc.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Special teams is why he's here, and why he won't get many looks at RB this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
id say it was a pretty deep RB class but there wasnt a bunch of talent at the very top

there were a load of guys i really liked who came off the board in the 4th and 5th rounds and we certainly could have taken one of them - my favourite, dameon pierce, got taken 3 spots before we took Faalele and zamir white and isaiah spiller who both got taken between our JAD and Kolar picks

certainly a criticism to say they could have been more proactive - but worth pointing out it would have been at the expense of other positions... looking at the guys they would have had to miss out on to have a chance at these guys we're looking at giving up on OT and CB depth where we're already dipping into the depth because of injuries this year also

we're in a much better position with our RB corps without JK and Gus than we were last year
i agree, there were a ton of day 3 RBs in this class and also agree not much at the top.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Justice Hill, outside of his special teams plays just drives me nuts. He's always going down on first contact and I mean always.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
by the sounds of it he practiced today and harbs answer on monday was a bit weird when asked why he didnt play... not really sure what's going on there
I think they might be leaving it to Boyle to declare himself ready to go. He didn't sound happy last year playing and not being able to do stuff he used to do before the injury.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

idk that 3 days is a big enough ramp up period but depending on how he does over the next couple of days i could definitely see him being in play for snaps vs the patriots and definitely vs the bills

I am super happy that he is back at practice. He looked great in the preseason.