• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Dolphins

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Harbs spoke on that New Jersey turf - said seemed really packed and hard.
That turf was awful you could tell. Turf needs to be outlawed imo, we’ve seen enough football on it over the past 25 years, I feel like at this point it’s irrefutable that turf causes an insane amount of injuries compared to grass. If we’re on grass week 1 then I don’t think fuller and James are out for the year, all they did was put their foot in the turf and their ligaments went fucking haywire and started snapping left and right. So much of the nfl discussion come January is “do you have a qb, and how many of your key players haven’t torn their ACL or Achilles?” and those 2 questions are the biggest factors in who gets to make a deep playoff run.

Pisses me off that this fun ass sport with so many variables and so much shit to evaluate seems to come down to who’s the least injured every fucking year. The ravens have gotten calloused on their grass fields over the summer and now they’re playing on poorly managed field turf and players drop like flies. It’s no surprise. I’ll die on this hill, turf gotta go.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That turf was awful you could tell. Turf needs to be outlawed imo, we’ve seen enough football on it over the past 25 years, I feel like at this point it’s irrefutable that turf causes an insane amount of injuries compared to grass. If we’re on grass week 1 then I don’t think fuller and James are out for the year, all they did was put their foot in the turf and their ligaments went fucking haywire and started snapping left and right. So much of the nfl discussion come January is “do you have a qb, and how many of your key players haven’t torn their ACL or Achilles?” and those 2 questions are the biggest factors in who gets to make a deep playoff run.

Pisses me off that this fun ass sport with so many variables and so much shit to evaluate seems to come down to who’s the least injured every fucking year. The ravens have gotten calloused on their grass fields over the summer and now they’re playing on poorly managed field turf and players drop like flies. It’s no surprise. I’ll die on this hill, turf gotta go.
and to your point, the Bengals were the least injured team last year.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Out of curiosity I googled the injury numbers and the first thing that came up :

"Artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass."

Absolutely wild the NFL still uses this stuff.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Out of curiosity I googled the injury numbers and the first thing that came up :

"Artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass."

there are different grades of turf as well. Have to find a better way though and especially for dome stadiums. It's absolutely ridiculous for outside stadiums in mild to warm weather climates to have turf.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Same article I read from JC Tretter. It’s pretty goddamn substantial and it’s long overdue. Roger needs to mandate that all stadiums have grass by 2030

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
there are different grades of turf as well. Have to find a better way though and especially for dome stadiums. It's absolutely ridiculous for outside stadiums in mild to warm weather climates to have turf.
Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Minnesota university back when the Vikings had to play there, all of them are grass. If they can do it then there isn’t a stadium in the league that can’t pull it off. Now you have places like Lucas oil stadium and the super dome where you might not be able to pull it off at all, so maybe the mandate thing I posted above isn’t realistic, but something’s gotta change. Also apparently the turf at meadowlands has been trash since they built it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Green Bay, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Minnesota university back when the Vikings had to play there, all of them are grass. If they can do it then there isn’t a stadium in the league that can’t pull it off. Now you have places like Lucas oil stadium and the super dome where you might not be able to pull it off at all, so maybe the mandate thing I posted above isn’t realistic, but something’s gotta change. Also apparently the turf at meadowlands has been trash since they built it.
yeah, any outside stadium should have some form of grass, ie Bermuda grass, which we saw last night at Arrowhead and what we play on at the Bank.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean ultimately in the long-run, reducing injuries and not having to pay extra guys because of I/R may well save more money than it costs to install and upkeep

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean ultimately in the long-run, reducing injuries and not having to pay extra guys because of I/R may well save more money than it costs to install and upkeep
Those particular stadiums I just don’t know what you could do to facilitate it. You can’t do like Arizona did and build a retractable grass field in places like Indy and NO, they’re built smack in the middle of metropolis with no room for such a thing, not sure you could pull off a retractable awning for either stadium, I just wonder how a few particular stadiums could pull it off to go 100% grass league wide, but most stadiums absolutely should be able to manage this change and yes it would be massive boost to the entire sport

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Those particular stadiums I just don’t know what you could do to facilitate it. You can’t do like Arizona did and build a retractable grass field in places like Indy and NO, they’re built smack in the middle of metropolis with no room for such a thing, not sure you could pull off a retractable awning for either stadium, I just wonder how a few particular stadiums could pull it off to go 100% grass league wide, but most stadiums absolutely should be able to manage this change and yes it would be massive boost to the entire sport
not just stadium, practice fields also

JAAM

Hall of Famer

this is really troubling - hopefully they're just being really conservative with marlon but...

WHY CANT WE HAVE NICE THINGS?

Jesus Christ. It sounds like Jackson and Armstead are being sacrificed for Marlo and Stephens at least, so hopefully Tua won't have enough time to get the ball to Waddle and Hill anyways

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Might be a high scoring affair with Marlon and Stephens possibly out (and maybe Peters), but we may be getting back Ronnie and Dobbins. Good thing I have Lamar, Bateman and Tyreek in fantasy lol. My poor Ravens defense though :(