• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Way-Too-Early Prospect Watch: 2019

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Really? Cam Akers and David Montgomery look legit. We’ll see what happens year 2 from Najee Harris and AJ Dillion
We just came across 4 potentially generational talents at the RB position with regards to Barkley, Fournette, Elliot, and Gurley. Two have already made an all pro team, one was a legit MVP candidate thus far, and Fournette was good behind a shit oline... Any of these four could feasibly become the best back in the league. Yes, even Zeke.

Montgomery doesn't suck but his potential doesn't compare.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We just came across 4 potentially generational talents at the RB position with regards to Barkley, Fournette, Elliot, and Gurley. Two have already made an all pro team, one was a legit MVP candidate thus far, and Fournette was good behind a shit oline... Any of these four could feasibly become the best back in the league. Yes, even Zeke.

Don’t forget Alvin kamara...

Don’t think we’re anywhere close to ending the RB renaissance. Remember that Le’Veon Bell was an afterthought behind Eddie Lacy. No one talked about David Johnson until his insane performance at the senior bowl and he still slipped to the third round. Theres going to to be even more legitimate talent at RB coming out. I don’t agree with you on Fournette, I think he’s nothing more than an average RB. He doesn’t break tackles at a high rate or make people miss and he’s bad in the pass catching game. Jags o line was a lot better than they got credit for last season. He dominated in college because in some games he was a man against boys but in the NFL he doesn’t seem like the same player. I’d take Kamara, Hunt, and even Dalvin Cook(before injury) before him and they were all in the same draft class. Heck even Alex Collins with our horrible o line looked like one of the best RBs in the NFL last season. People are really underrating Montgomery he’s an all around back and broke or made people miss tackles at a ridiculous rate. Cam Akers in 2020 looks like a top 10 lock as of now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Don’t think we’re anywhere close to ending the RB renaissance. Remember that Le’Veon Bell was an afterthought behind Eddie Lacy. No one talked about David Johnson until his insane performance at the senior bowl and he still slipped to the third round. Theres going to to be even more legitimate talent at RB coming out. I don’t agree with you on Fournette, I think he’s nothing more than an average RB. He doesn’t break tackles at a high rate or make people miss and he’s bad in the pass catching game. Jags o line was a lot better than they got credit for last season. He dominated in college because in some games he was a man against boys but in the NFL he doesn’t seem like the same player. I’d take Kamara, Hunt, and even Dalvin Cook(before injury) before him and they were all in the same draft class. Heck even Alex Collins with our horrible o line looked like one of the best RBs in the NFL last season. People are really underrating Montgomery he’s an all around back and broke or made people miss tackles at a ridiculous rate. Cam Akers in 2020 looks like a top 10 lock as of now.
Definitely ending the 1st round rb renaissance, unless some team reaches like the Seahawks did this year. If you’ve looked at future drafts, like @Lost_In_Translation and I have done, you would see that yourself. We are beginning a posssible wr renaissance though.

Definitely ending the 1st round rb renaissance, unless some team reaches like the Seahawks did this year. If you’ve looked at future drafts, like @Lost_In_Translation and I have done, you would see that yourself. We are beginning a posssible wr renaissance though.
What? Lol I’ve looked at future drafts and I’ve seen ridicoulsly highly rated RB coming out of high school. Sure high recruits don’t mean you’re going to be a first round pick. If you think team aren’t going crazy for Cam Akers and Najee Harris for example you don’t watch college football and are just talking out of your ass. Penny was not a reach for the Seahawks he was an all around back and he’s just dangerous in the pass game. Even Sony Michel went in the 1st. 1st round RBs are not ending here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What? Lol I’ve looked at future drafts and I’ve seen ridicoulsly highly rated RB coming out of high school. Sure high recruits don’t mean you’re going to be a first round pick. If you think team aren’t going crazy for Cam Akers and Najee Harris for example you don’t watch college football and are just talking out of your ass. Penny was not a reach for the Seahawks he was an all around back and he’s just dangerous in the pass game. Even Sony Michel went in the 1st. 1st round RBs are not ending here.
I'm talking about immediate future and no, I don't think teams are going to go crazy for Akers and Harris like the previous few drafts of top elite backs. They are not going in top 10. You can take that to the bank.

Penny I was never high on, easily could have been had in the 2nd and maybe the 3rd. Didn't run with much power at all, runs too straight up for my tastes. Too many backs better than him in this draft. Sonny Michel is a better back than Penny and I had him graded out as a top of the 2nd back. It wasn't that much of a reach.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yeah... No to Bryce Love.. Or any of these RBs in the next class. There are guys here who are solid and all but I would've taken Guice from this draft over any of these guys. I have Damien Harris as my #1 RB next year. He should've come out this year. A lot of solid guys... But it's not a contest. Barkley and Fournette skull fuck each of these guys as prospects.

No TEs either. Thank god we have Hurst, Andrews, and a blocking guy in Maxx.

QB class. Only two guys with first round grades from me. Either projects that are worse than Josh Allen(who I had a fourth round grade on) or just... downright awful.

WR class has a ton of potential. Ridley was more polished than these guys, but some of these guys could be bonafide studs

DT/Edge class. I like it. DT class is headlined by a few studs. Not a fan of the second Dlineman from Clemson, but Dexter Lawerence is someone I really like. Nick Bosa actually looks better than his brother imo.. I really loved his brother. Both of the Clemson edge rushers... Big fans of them last year. I actually like Austin Bryant more than I like Ferell.. Both have sky high potential imo. Big fan of Terell Lewis.

Josh Allen the LB from Kentucky.. Fan of his as well for the time being even if I haven't seen too much of him. He's good Josh Allen. I see some Zach Cunningham in him. Anfernee Jennings was a stud before his injury.

Seeing that our needs going into next season are interior pass rush, WR, and potentially another edge rusher.... Yeah. I'm good with that

yet another reason why we made the move to go up and get lamar this year - even if has to sit a year (or even 2) because there's seemingly no qb at lamar's level coming out anytime soon
Very true, and we didn't overpay to get a guy we liked.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Kelvin Harmon (NC State) and N’Keal Harry (ASU) are two wide receivers to keep an eye on heading into the 2019 draft.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
One player I really like is Shaquille Quarterman (Miami). I love his closing speed, his instincts, and that he plays with that attack dog mentality. Plus, he just seems to have a drive in him to be great.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
yet another reason why we made the move to go up and get lamar this year - even if has to sit a year (or even 2) because there's seemingly no qb at lamar's level coming out anytime soon

Yeah I see why people thought the Giants were better off getting a 1st round QB this year. I see the 2018 class being similar to 2012 minus of course the obvious Andrew Luck pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I see why people thought the Giants were better off getting a 1st round QB this year. I see the 2018 class being similar to 2012 minus of course the obvious Andrew Luck pick.

I just think the giants are liable to spend the next few years in nfl purgatory where they’ll find themselves good enough to get 6-7 wins and take themselves out of the running for a top qb but not good enough to be in contention - could definitely see their surrounding talent get wasted by a series of patchwork fill in qb seasons

This was a gilt-edged chance to get a franchise successor to Eli in a loaded qb draft with plenty of offensive skill talent later in the draft - their draft was a good one but the choice not to go qb at 2 absolutely will hang over them if eli looks like he has the last 2-3 years

I just think the giants are liable to spend the next few years in nfl purgatory where they’ll find themselves good enough to get 6-7 wins and take themselves out of the running for a top qb but not good enough to be in contention - could definitely see their surrounding talent get wasted by a series of patchwork fill in qb seasons

This was a gilt-edged chance to get a franchise successor to Eli in a loaded qb draft with plenty of offensive skill talent later in the draft - their draft was a good one but the choice not to go qb at 2 absolutely will hang over them if eli looks like he has the last 2-3 years
I wonder if they take Lamar in the early second if we didn’t take him. They’re trying to build around a QB who isn’t on their roster.

Could be but I doubt it - they had multiple shots at mason rudolph too but they didn’t take them either...

I think for better or worse they made an organisational decision to back eli all the way
They did draft Kyle Lauletta. Pat shurmer made Case Keenum a decent starter maybe he can do the same for Lauletta

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Jesse Burkett, C Stanford looks like a dream fit for Romans scheme, he is a natural pass protector, excellent feet, understands shielding concepts to combo block and can mirror well and pick up late rushes/blitzes with quick feet and vision. no quenton nelson or KO with mauling but more than adequate, will be plenty strong in the pros, but shines with amazing feet and positioning and hand placement. overall good center who appears to have the IQ but really shines in a scheme that gets him mobile on pulls, 2nd level blocks, and his quickness and great anchor make him really hold up well in pass pro. will be watching more of this guy
Stanford guys tend to be well coached.. David Shaw really is the most underrated coach in sports imo. Always puts out good teams, never gets any credit whatsoever. They really aren't missing Harbaugh too much, and he's one of the best coaches himself in the NCAA.

I like Burkett fwiw. I think the C position will be okay with Bozeman at the helm.. But if we get the opportunity to get a total rock at the position for the next 10 + years you give your new QB this player.

The oline class at the top looks to be solid. We might not need it going forward though if Yanda is to play a few more years.

Next year is the year you address the interior pass rush, and possibly get another edge rusher if Bowser and Williams look to not pan out(which while I think is very unlikely, is certainly a possibility). Even if we were to trade back in the first round to pick up more picks later on.... We could still probably get a good pass rushing DT or edge player if we really needed it.

Yes, we have needs going forward. We've smartly secured the team in the long runs. Our needs coincidentally coincide with what the draft board is going to be strong at. Y'all have noticed that right? It was what I made my 2 year plan assumption on. I knew in 2016 that the 2017 draft was going to be strong on the defensive side of the ball, and likewise in 2018 there was going to be strength in a few offensive positions as well.

That said.. Outside of edge rusher, DT, and WR(our biggest needs), this 2019 draft class looks kind of a pathetic as a hole. Especially with the QB, RB, and TE positions. There's a reason we grabbed two TEs this year.

In face if you look at it. Common theme of 2018 draft: doubles.

2 alabama players(though this was a given)
2 UCLA players
2 Oklahoma players
2 TEs
2 WRs
2 OTs

But yeah. I'm even more fine with us trading that second rounder looking ahead to 2019.. Fuck me this draft is pathetic.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Stanford guys tend to be well coached.. David Shaw really is the most underrated coach in sports imo. Always puts out good teams, never gets any credit whatsoever. They really aren't missing Harbaugh too much, and he's one of the best coaches himself in the NCAA.

I like Burkett fwiw. I think the C position will be okay with Bozeman at the helm.. But if we get the opportunity to get a total rock at the position for the next 10 + years you give your new QB this player.

The oline class at the top looks to be solid. We might not need it going forward though if Yanda is to play a few more years.

Next year is the year you address the interior pass rush, and possibly get another edge rusher if Bowser and Williams look to not pan out(which while I think is very unlikely, is certainly a possibility). Even if we were to trade back in the first round to pick up more picks later on.... We could still probably get a good pass rushing DT or edge player if we really needed it.

Yes, we have needs going forward. We've smartly secured the team in the long runs. Our needs coincidentally coincide with what the draft board is going to be strong at. Y'all have noticed that right? It was what I made my 2 year plan assumption on. I knew in 2016 that the 2017 draft was going to be strong on the defensive side of the ball, and likewise in 2018 there was going to be strength in a few offensive positions as well.

That said.. Outside of edge rusher, DT, and WR(our biggest needs), this 2019 draft class looks kind of a pathetic as a hole. Especially with the QB, RB, and TE positions. There's a reason we grabbed two TEs this year.

In face if you look at it. Common theme of 2018 draft: doubles.

2 alabama players(though this was a given)
2 UCLA players
2 Oklahoma players
2 TEs
2 WRs
2 OTs

But yeah. I'm even more fine with us trading that second rounder looking ahead to 2019.. Fuck me this draft is pathetic.
You forgot my 2 heart attacks

1] not taking Ridley
2] coming back to 1st to take Lamar Jackson