• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just saw that Paradis will be a FA but I highly doubt he leaves Denver. I wonder if we could trade Flacco to Denver for him and some picks.

They are not going to sign and then trade him.

A1A

Veteran
I just posted an article about this, but it's one of my patented very long posts so I do want to give a shorter thing of my two cents here.

The offensive line was the biggest culprit for our shortcomings in the first half of the previous season, and it's not debatable. Sure, Flacco needed to play better in certain games but the offensive line had three utter liabilities in the run game starting and we were running a one dimmensional offense. This made us especially easy to prepare for. This is a FACT. The first half of the season is probably much different if we have different starters at the C and RT positions(not like we had two possibilities on the roster already smh), and frankly Flacco probably doesn't lose his job and we probably run away with the division and possibly secure a bye if we have a run game. I know "woulda coulda shoulda" but the oline killed whatever chance the first half of the year had with a running game far more than the QB or any of our RBs(as mediocre as Buck Allen is).
The funny thing is, that this really didn't change too much in the second half of the season either, where the offense became a gimmick and utterly unsustainable. Greg Roman really is a genius, because he knows how to mask the deficiencies of the other players, when the tape does suggest that Hurst, Skura, and Lewis are ALL liabilities in the run game. Plus, read option makes things ten times for difficult for the opposing defenses, especially the opposing safeties. But we had the opposite issue. This was another one dimmensional unit, but we could run the ball and not pass. And once Gus Bradley figured us out, he could exploit the weaker personel in the trenches and Lamar really had no chance.

It's a culmination of terrible coaching and piss poor personel. The offense all season was hilariously one dimmensional and frankly, someone NEEDS to be fired over this. We need to acquire more talent on interior offensive line, and we need to actually run a pro style offense to see what Lamar is capable of as a passer, or if he can garner any kind of consistency.

If we improve the oline, 2019 should be a good year for us, because even without a gimmick we should be able to run the ball just fine and we have a defense that is aggresive and very good. But we cannot keep doing what we did in 2018. It's unsustainable..

Dave DeGuglielmo??

PFF graded our Oline as #10 overall this season.

I just want to say that Greg Roman is an absolute genius. Be nice if he could be our OC. But with the success that the offense has had (despite Marty’s rough playcalling) there’s definitely no chance Marty leaves this offseason. Too bad teams can’t want Marty as their HC...

We need a top 5 line and talent. Lamar needs it and an everydown workhorse.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Just saw that there was a video on BR.com that stated all five starters are returning but the Ravens could still use the draft to improve the o-line and bring in competition to push Skura at Center and someone they did not name as LG (assume they were talking Hurst or Lewis). I don’t even know why I still check in on that site, what a waist of two minutes watching that ridiculous video.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just saw that there was a video on BR.com that stated all five starters are returning but the Ravens could still use the draft to improve the o-line and bring in competition to push Skura at Center and someone they did not name as LG (assume they were talking Hurst or Lewis). I don’t even know why I still check in on that site, what a waist of two minutes watching that ridiculous video.

I only go there now to read the LFW articles every morning and sometimes watch press conferences. Definitely hard to find good content on there that isn't a complete waste of time.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You know we will though.

I don’t wish injury on anyone but I fucking hope hurst and Lewis and skura all get injuries in TC so Bozeman and Powers step right in.

Honestly, a line of Stanley, Powers, Bozeman, yanda, and brown sounds pretty damn good.
Honestly, after more tape watching I have to agree with your starting oline. Bozeman had athleticism concerns coming out of school and looked markedly better than he did in college. Powers looks stiff, but I think stiffness is fixable. Otherwise with Powers I see a tough blocker who is good at moving people out of the way with seal blocks, pulls, and is very technically sound. He won't wow you, or make an all pro team, but is he a starter? Yes. And he's one from day one.

Ben Powers and Bradley Bozeman to me are two of those "we could get an upgrade on them, but there's no need to do so" type starters. They're not amazing, but they get the job done, they don't screw up, and you can win games with them in the lineup.

Want a team that can actually beat teams off of the ball? Well Bozeman and Powers can anchor and move people.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Honestly, after more tape watching I have to agree with your starting oline. Bozeman had athleticism concerns coming out of school and looked markedly better than he did in college. Powers looks stiff, but I think stiffness is fixable. Otherwise with Powers I see a tough blocker who is good at moving people out of the way with seal blocks, pulls, and is very technically sound. He won't wow you, or make an all pro team, but is he a starter? Yes. And he's one from day one.

Ben Powers and Bradley Bozeman to me are two of those "we could get an upgrade on them, but there's no need to do so" type starters. They're not amazing, but they get the job done, they don't screw up, and you can win games with them in the lineup.

Want a team that can actually beat teams off of the ball? Well Bozeman and Powers can anchor and move people.
The 64 dollar question: Will they be given a fair opportunity to start over Hurst and Skura? I still have my worries.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
D5udL2eXsAAU5ab.jpg:large

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ben Powers could end up being a clint boling kind of player which is better than hurst or lewis.