• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
On the subject of Bozeman at C I think it’s a philosophical thing for sure. If you look back, we seem to like to ease guys into playing C. I think it’s due to the whole rookie learning the calls thing. Skura player LG last year and now he’s playing C and IIRC Jensen played LG at times before he moved to C. It seems to be our MO. Maybe Bozeman is doing well in practice at LG and is still learning the calls for offense, I don’t know. It’s a good question

rossihunter2

Staff Member
On the subject of Bozeman at C I think it’s a philosophical thing for sure. If you look back, we seem to like to ease guys into playing C. I think it’s due to the whole rookie learning the calls thing. Skura player LG last year and now he’s playing C and IIRC Jensen played LG at times before he moved to C. It seems to be our MO. Maybe Bozeman is doing well in practice at LG and is still learning the calls for offense, I don’t know. It’s a good question

is it definitely skura making the calls because i definitely see yanda doing his thing pre-snap all the time and ive never noticed skura doing anything like that - maybe im just not noticing it (which is fairly likely) but i do also remember seeing yanda acting not like a normal RG most of the time

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
is it definitely skura making the calls because i definitely see yanda doing his thing pre-snap all the time and ive never noticed skura doing anything like that - maybe im just not noticing it (which is fairly likely) but i do also remember seeing yanda acting not like a normal RG most of the time
I haven’t noticed either but now I guess I’ll have to check. Good question and potentially observation, though. FWIW I think Yanda could be a great C and have said that for years but I do understand why we never moved him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf the Jensen thing is not entirely on Harbs because just as he was coming on he had the whole sleep apnea thing which destroyed his progression and he basically had to start all over again

but i do see your point - and i dont mind either way - the 2 weak spots on our OL are LG and C and they seem to alternate bad games with each other no matter who's there so I'd like Bozeman to start at one of those two spots but which one I dont really care
We have 2 weak spots but I don’t think I’m in the minority saying that skura is a weaker spot than hurst, and since Bozeman is a natural center, a much harder position to fill, and he would fill the bigger hole, i don’t see the reason for putting Bozeman at LG.

If that’s the move, it just reeks of “harbaugh guys” getting the job, but then again hurst is the ultimate harbaugh guy, so idk... then maybe it becomes a case of not trusting the rookie.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We have 2 weak spots but I don’t think I’m in the minority saying that skura is a weaker spot than hurst, and since Bozeman is a natural center, a much harder position to fill, and he would fill the bigger hole, i don’t see the reason for putting Bozeman at LG.

If that’s the move, it just reeks of “harbaugh guys” getting the job, but then again hurst is the ultimate harbaugh guy, so idk... then maybe it becomes a case of not trusting the rookie.

i mean i mostly agree but Hurst has been pretty bad since he came back from his injury
- which would be as good a reason as any to replace him in the starting lineup tbh...

we'll see - i agree that Bozeman should play but i dont really mind which spot

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is a very good question and it’s not like he hasn’t done it in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised and some of us mentioned it in the offseason as well.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
PFF graded our Oline as #10 overall this season.

I just want to say that Greg Roman is an absolute genius. Be nice if he could be our OC. But with the success that the offense has had (despite Marty’s rough playcalling) there’s definitely no chance Marty leaves this offseason. Too bad teams can’t want Marty as their HC...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
PFF graded our Oline as #10 overall this season.

I just want to say that Greg Roman is an absolute genius. Be nice if he could be our OC. But with the success that the offense has had (despite Marty’s rough playcalling) there’s definitely no chance Marty leaves this offseason. Too bad teams can’t want Marty as their HC...
If he was our offensive coordinator we would need a passing game coordinator. As good as Roman is in the running game, he’s pretty bad in the passing game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If he was our offensive coordinator we would need a passing game coordinator. As good as Roman is in the running game, he’s pretty bad in the passing game.

that might be why our offensive gameplan has been so good - marty's designing the offence with urban designing the passing concepts with lamar in mind and roman coordinating the running game

the system has been brilliant - the playcalling has been frustrating

and marty flat out talked about how they design the offence with lamar throwing around 20-25 times in mind - obviously they would adjust based on situation but that's what they regard as the sweet spot

the problem is that with lamar throwing 25 times he's only going to complete 15 passes in most games on average and that's not enough to really scare a defence through the air

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that might be why our offensive gameplan has been so good - marty's designing the offence with urban designing the passing concepts with lamar in mind and roman coordinating the running game

the system has been brilliant - the playcalling has been frustrating

and marty flat out talked about how they design the offence with lamar throwing around 20-25 times in mind - obviously they would adjust based on situation but that's what they regard as the sweet spot

the problem is that with lamar throwing 25 times he's only going to complete 15 passes in most games on average and that's not enough to really scare a defence through the air
Well at this point they haven’t had to pass more than 24 times in a game, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t throw more than that I’m a game. However it’s almost like Marty has a count on him ans when he hits that number, they stop passing. Even if it’s the middle of the 3rd qtr.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well at this point they haven’t had to pass more than 24 times in a game, but that doesn’t mean that he can’t throw more than that I’m a game. However it’s almost like Marty has a count on him ans when he hits that number, they stop passing. Even if it’s the middle of the 3rd qtr.

i mean marty's presser today literally mentioned specific numbers - he's not on a count as it were but that's their ideal range he explicitly mentioned

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If I'm seeing it right, Lamar's passes come usually on 1st and 2nd downs, few on short 3rd. They die out later in the game because we try to kill the clock by running on those early downs.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
The Ravens pulled the LG 22 times vs the Browns (Hurst 19, Bozeman 3). That's the most by any position in the Harbaugh era. Hurst connected on 16 of 19, which tied Yanda for the most pulls in a game (Yanda had 19 in the AFC WC game at NE on 1/10/10, connected on 15, but got just 13 points due to a penetration allowed). The 16 completed pulls is the most in any game I've scored. Amazingly, Hurst played just 52 scored snaps.

More details here:

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/01/02/filmstudy/offensive-line-scoring-vs-browns/

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The Ravens pulled the LG 22 times vs the Browns (Hurst 19, Bozeman 3). That's the most by any position in the Harbaugh era. Hurst connected on 16 of 19, which tied Yanda for the most pulls in a game (Yanda had 19 in the AFC WC game at NE on 1/10/10, connected on 15, but got just 13 points due to a penetration allowed). The 16 completed pulls is the most in any game I've scored. Amazingly, Hurst played just 52 scored snaps.

More details here:

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/01/02/filmstudy/offensive-line-scoring-vs-browns/
What did he eat for breakfast last Sunday?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I just posted an article about this, but it's one of my patented very long posts so I do want to give a shorter thing of my two cents here.

The offensive line was the biggest culprit for our shortcomings in the first half of the previous season, and it's not debatable. Sure, Flacco needed to play better in certain games but the offensive line had three utter liabilities in the run game starting and we were running a one dimmensional offense. This made us especially easy to prepare for. This is a FACT. The first half of the season is probably much different if we have different starters at the C and RT positions(not like we had two possibilities on the roster already smh), and frankly Flacco probably doesn't lose his job and we probably run away with the division and possibly secure a bye if we have a run game. I know "woulda coulda shoulda" but the oline killed whatever chance the first half of the year had with a running game far more than the QB or any of our RBs(as mediocre as Buck Allen is).
The funny thing is, that this really didn't change too much in the second half of the season either, where the offense became a gimmick and utterly unsustainable. Greg Roman really is a genius, because he knows how to mask the deficiencies of the other players, when the tape does suggest that Hurst, Skura, and Lewis are ALL liabilities in the run game. Plus, read option makes things ten times for difficult for the opposing defenses, especially the opposing safeties. But we had the opposite issue. This was another one dimmensional unit, but we could run the ball and not pass. And once Gus Bradley figured us out, he could exploit the weaker personel in the trenches and Lamar really had no chance.

It's a culmination of terrible coaching and piss poor personel. The offense all season was hilariously one dimmensional and frankly, someone NEEDS to be fired over this. We need to acquire more talent on interior offensive line, and we need to actually run a pro style offense to see what Lamar is capable of as a passer, or if he can garner any kind of consistency.

If we improve the oline, 2019 should be a good year for us, because even without a gimmick we should be able to run the ball just fine and we have a defense that is aggresive and very good. But we cannot keep doing what we did in 2018. It's unsustainable..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@Lost_In_Translation agree that it’s not sustainable and would like to run more of a traditional wco or Erhardt Perkins (EP) like Lamar ran in college, but not eliminate all of the power concepts, traps and rpos.

A1A

Veteran
I just saw that Paradis will be a FA but I highly doubt he leaves Denver. I wonder if we could trade Flacco to Denver for him and some picks.