• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
D5udL2eXsAAU5ab.jpg:large
You don't want to fight this kid. He'll maul you like a grizzly!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
it's not an athletic interior. It'll have to be a fundamentally sound and tough interior.
That's probably what we're going for. We want an offensive line that is going to be able to beat up teams before we unleash our speed.

We will probably end up moving Bozeman to be Yanda's replacement when he's done and look for a more athletic, but still strong C next year.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
When you get a chance, watch any interview with Powers. Strikes you as a tough dude, no doubt.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
People shouldn't expect Powers to be a mauler. He's not that. He's very sound technically and mentally, has good feet and a clean stance in pass pro, and is efficient in any phase of run blocking (pull, down block, reach block, double team,...). Just don't expect him to move DT off the line of scrimmage because that's not his game. That's okay, we've seen Roman deal with much worse OLinemen, just don't expect a world beater, more of a cleaner starter at LG.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
People shouldn't expect Powers to be a mauler. He's not that. He's very sound technically and mentally, has good feet and a clean stance in pass pro, and is efficient in any phase of run blocking (pull, down block, reach block, double team,...). Just don't expect him to move DT off the line of scrimmage because that's not his game. That's okay, we've seen Roman deal with much worse OLinemen, just don't expect a world beater, more of a cleaner starter at LG.

F in the chat for our fallen soldier.
Ben Powers is now coming for you

rossihunter2

Staff Member

was just coming here to say something similar - just watched a load of tape and the dude is a technician with his hands and upper body - he's got a strong anchor but also having seen all the comments and criticisms about him as unathletic i was then surprised to see just how consistently successful he was pulling across the line and also moving laterally to block the edge guy on an island on some of those weird play action boots where they pull the tackle to sell the play action and leave powers to block the DE 1v1

he also is really good at leaning on defenders and wearing them down through games - so he's not gonna blow people away but honestly that's not what we're looking for in a LG really as long as they can anchor which he definitely can

my worry about him is lower body flexibility and sinking his hips more especially against big guys - he's got by for the mostpart in college by just being stronger than the person in front of him so he just controls them with his hands but at the nfl he's going to have to bring his lower body into it to and getting his pad level lower in general

pad level would be my biggest criticism of him

but as ive watched more film i think this ben powers pick is probably my 2nd favourite pick in our whole draft after hollywood

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
plays that way too - really seems to get defenders angry and tired - looks on his tape like he really enjoys wearing defenders down - makes me more excited about the quotes because they have some basis in the film and arent just talk
I still haven't had much of a watch. It's pretty funny....He looks as if he might snap at any second during those interviews.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still haven't had much of a watch. It's pretty funny....He looks as if he might snap at any second during those interviews.
it's an enlightening watch - one of those prospects id wished id watched pre-draft properly because i would have loved the pick at the time if that was the case - there's a lot of clues in his tape that point towards him being cerebral, well-coached, technically strong with really good hands and ability to react and adapt mid-play

this clip in particular shows his ability to read what's in front of him even post-snap and even while engaged
https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1122230367988211712

he's 1v1 with possibly the best player in the draft class in quinnen williams and engages but also sees mack wilson blitzing his gap so uses 1 hand to stymie the blitz and stop wilson's free path to the backfield and murray and allow the crease to form on the other side of the LoS

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
was just coming here to say something similar - just watched a load of tape and the dude is a technician with his hands and upper body - he's got a strong anchor but also having seen all the comments and criticisms about him as unathletic i was then surprised to see just how consistently successful he was pulling across the line and also moving laterally to block the edge guy on an island on some of those weird play action boots where they pull the tackle to sell the play action and leave powers to block the DE 1v1

he also is really good at leaning on defenders and wearing them down through games - so he's not gonna blow people away but honestly that's not what we're looking for in a LG really as long as they can anchor which he definitely can

my worry about him is lower body flexibility and sinking his hips more especially against big guys - he's got by for the mostpart in college by just being stronger than the person in front of him so he just controls them with his hands but at the nfl he's going to have to bring his lower body into it to and getting his pad level lower in general

pad level would be my biggest criticism of him

but as ive watched more film i think this ben powers pick is probably my 2nd favourite pick in our whole draft after hollywood
I was about to comment “it’s not that he’s unathletic, it’s that he lacks some flexibility” until I read further and saw that you already said it lol.

Powers really is a technician and while I didn’t have him as a fourth rounder, he’s a guy I was surprised that everyone was so low on. He’s pretty ideal for romans scheme, he shield blocks and reach blocks very well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was about to comment “it’s not that he’s unathletic, it’s that he lacks some flexibility” until I read further and saw that you already said it lol.

Powers really is a technician and while I didn’t have him as a fourth rounder, he’s a guy I was surprised that everyone was so low on. He’s pretty ideal for romans scheme, he shield blocks and reach blocks very well.

in college if he got his hands on you it was over - and he mostly did - in the nfl he'll have to be able to drop his hips too but he already has a great anchor even with that unhelpful lower inflexibility

i think also with him being friends with orlando and the fact that he's not transitioning position at all (not even left to right/right to left) and the scheme they ran in oklahoma that he's probably going to be able to pick up the playbook fairly quickly - id expect him to be able to have a good shot at the LG spot if the competition is truly a competition (and i have a feeling it might be this year) - Powers is that odd potentially pro-ready 4th round pick lol

i will also say that Bozeman's got a fair shot at starting this year if he makes any sort of improvement this offseason - he was far superior to alex lewis at LG but also showed some qualities at LG that would be well-suited to C - so while there's been no real official sign from the organisation that skura's job's in trouble i do think that bozeman's got a good chance to start somewhere on the OL this year and i think the coaches want him to kick on and win one of those spots too

obviously the OL a lot of us are hoping for week 1 this season is Stanley-Powers-Bozeman-Yanda-Brown and there's definitely a scenario where i see that happening this year

and while I wouldnt be surprised if both Hurst and Skura start week 1, i would be very surprised if they finish the season at LG and C together - i think bozeman in particular has already proven to the coaching staff that he's a benefit to the team and he'll get snaps

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it's an enlightening watch - one of those prospects id wished id watched pre-draft properly because i would have loved the pick at the time if that was the case - there's a lot of clues in his tape that point towards him being cerebral, well-coached, technically strong with really good hands and ability to react and adapt mid-play

this clip in particular shows his ability to read what's in front of him even post-snap and even while engaged
https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1122230367988211712

he's 1v1 with possibly the best player in the draft class in quinnen williams and engages but also sees mack wilson blitzing his gap so uses 1 hand to stymie the blitz and stop wilson's free path to the backfield and murray and allow the crease to form on the other side of the LoS
Also weird you shared this because I started to put together a video breakdown and bookmarked this as the top play lol