• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Knowing Harbaugh he’s probably gone. It’ll be Antwan Barnes all over again. Good pass rusher gets cut because of attitude and goes on to be good elsewhere.
Fuck the attitude man, it’s ridiculous, football is about winning. We won a fucking super bowl when our team leaders with the most attitude stepped the fuck up and told harbaugh to get his shit straight, then when those same guys got shipped out we fell into a spiral of mediocrity that lasted 6 years.

Talent wins games, don’t ask Tim Williams to be your fucking team captain, ask him to rush the fucking qb on third down, done deal, do that simple fucking thing and we are a better team plain and simple

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fuck the attitude man, it’s ridiculous, football is about winning. We won a fucking super bowl when our team leaders with the most attitude stepped the fuck up and told harbaugh to get his shit straight, then when those same guys got shipped out we fell into a spiral of mediocrity that lasted 6 years.

Talent wins games, don’t ask Tim Williams to be your fucking team captain, ask him to rush the fucking qb on third down, done deal, do that simple fucking thing and we are a better team plain and simple

I mean did this spiral exist though? Barring losing their best offensive and defensive players they were a SB team just 2 years later and the following year decided to be that time that has their entire roster go on IR.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Knowing Harbaugh he’s probably gone. It’ll be Antwan Barnes all over again. Good pass rusher gets cut because of attitude and goes on to be good elsewhere.

I was and am probably the loudest in calling for Harbaugh's head on these boards. Timmy was my favourite guy from that Bama team.

Still, JH is 100% right in this case.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I mean did this spiral exist though? Barring losing their best offensive and defensive players they were a SB team just 2 years later and the following year decided to be that time that has their entire roster go on IR.
2 playoff appearances since 2012, and mediocre drafting = mediocrity.

So yes. We haven't beaten a good team since 2014. Even though we made the playoffs we meet a worthy defenses and they put us in our place.

So yes. Injuries are just an excuse for poor general manager decisions if we are being honest. If 100% of your defense falls apart, there's more than just coaching to blame

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was and am probably the loudest in calling for Harbaugh's head on these boards. Timmy was my favourite guy from that Bama team.

Still, JH is 100% right in this case.
You can’t say that and expect us to agree without knowing what you’re referring to lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You can’t say that and expect us to agree without knowing what you’re referring to lol

ill be slightly less vague (without knowing if allblack is referring to anything specific) and say many of the things keeping timmy off the field are self-inflicted and he was in no shape to see the field down the stretch last year - the coaches know he's talented and want him to succeed (he was getting decent snaps in high leverage downs early in his 2nd year in the league which tells you they trust him at football) but its on him to sort himself out

its really good that he's at all the voluntary offseason stuff because by all accounts the stuff that goes wrong for him mentally and physically seems to be when he's not at the castle and that's all i can really say

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ill be slightly less vague (without knowing if allblack is referring to anything specific) and say many of the things keeping timmy off the field are self-inflicted and he was in no shape to see the field down the stretch last year - the coaches know he's talented and want him to succeed (he was getting decent snaps in high leverage downs early in his 2nd year in the league which tells you they trust him at football) but its on him to sort himself out

its really good that he's at all the voluntary offseason stuff because by all accounts the stuff that goes wrong for him mentally and physically seems to be when he's not at the castle and that's all i can really say
so is it really him just fucking off to some crazy extent when hes not focused and at work? or was he like actually getting into some bad shit?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point the bitching is useless

Clearly this team is content with the mediocrity here. We choose to address other positions in the higher rounds as opposed to pass rushers and oline help.

At this point I don’t care if “the oline talent coming into the league is minimal”. That’s a shitty argument and bullshit rationalization. Want to know why we can’t win games? We don’t beat teams off of the ball. The pass rush is heavily manufactured and the oline on this team continually starts liabilities that ruin it for everyone else. Now I understand every starter can’t be elite, or even good, but Skura and Hurst shouldn’t even be backups here, let alone current starters. At worst an starting offensive linemen should be average.

Book it. Skura and Hurst start over Bozeman and Powers, the season is lost. Even if we make the postseason, we won’t win. That’s not negativity, it’s reality.

Same for the front seven. We are great at getting talent in the middle rounds but we are in desperate need of a top flight pass rusher. I think Tim Williams can be great but he’s one man, and I think ferguson is more of a role player.
I don't have the numbers to back this, but I think or at least it seems that offensive linemen take longer to get used to the NFL level (e.g. Stance, techniques and scheme) Do you want to wait 2 seasons until they're ready? I can see why they're reluctant to draft one high (Wagner and Jensen), in 2016 Stanley wasn't their nr. 1,2 or 3 priority according to reports. But it's still questionable to not draft any OL high

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I don't have the numbers to back this, but I think or at least it seems that offensive linemen take longer to get used to the NFL level (e.g. Stance, techniques and scheme) Do you want to wait 2 seasons until they're ready? I can see why they're reluctant to draft one high (Wagner and Jensen), in 2016 Stanley wasn't their nr. 1,2 or 3 priority according to reports. But it's still questionable to not draft any OL high
1 season of waiting > 5 seasons of James Hurst and 3 seasons of Matt Skura sucking ass. I'd be willing to let a guy develop if it meant that one day it'd turn out good.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
From br.com:

Left Guard Jermaine Eluemunor Is Still With First Unit

There is competition for the starting job at left guard, and Jermaine Eluemunor looks to be right in the thick of it.

Even with Marshal Yanda back on the field at right guard (where James Hurst was filling in) it was Eluemunor who took reps with the first unit Tuesday.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
interesting notes from minicamps now that Yanda's back... despite Hurst practicing at RG while Yanda was out the 1st team OL in minicamp day 1 looked like this (N.B. Alex Lewis was out but i dont think it really changes anything unless he absolutely owns the offseason)

Stanley, ELUEMUNOR, Skura, Yanda, Brown

interesting that Eluemunor got first crack - it may not stay that way but Joe D'Allesandris has said its an open competition at LG and that's the way he likes it and as much as Jermaine's not been great at times, he's also started at LT on minimal practice for us and done ok and has massively improved every year that he's played - in my eyes it's the 4th most likely option at LG for this 2019 season but if he wins the competition then fair play and at least it means hes beaten out hurst if thats the case

of course it might just be the case that he's getting the first crack at it in an open competition and they'll rotate a lot through minicamp and training camp until they get the combination they like the most

the way D'Allesandris talks about Ben Powers though i would say he's got a chance to win this competition but the rookie's never going to be starting on the OL until at least training camp when the pads are on and theres some contact

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Genius move. Starting Eluemenor will ensure that Lamar dies on the football field and that we get Trevor in 2021. LETS GOOOOO