• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

This guy Stanley is an All-Pro caliber LT and the money we're gonna have to pay him kind of frightens me.
Paying him is not as frightening as not having him and having Somebody like James Hurst protecting Lamar’s blind side.

We wouldn’t have to worry about Lamar getting hurt running the ball.

If anyone wants to read the entire writeup, you can find it at the following

https://filmstudybaltimore.com/blog/offensive-line-scoring-vs-seahawks-102019
While reading the grading was nice my favorite part of the breakdown was the commentary about Yandas leadership style and how it is complementary of Lamar’s. That’s something I felt I saw last year. I get the sense that Lamar looks to Yanda as his rock. And why shouldn’t he? Who better to look to than an all pro future HOFer with over a decade in the league who protects your ass?

There was a “wired” sideline recording from last year where Yanda was doling out some advice to him. A hotshot youngster who thinks he’s all that might nod his head give a “ uh huh”. Lamar’s response? “Yes Sir”.

That bit where he looked to Yanda for validation on the 4th and 2 was beautiful. Youthful exuberance combined with a steady veteran hand. Love it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
While reading the grading was nice my favorite part of the breakdown was the commentary about Yandas leadership style and how it is complementary of Lamar’s. That’s something I felt I saw last year. I get the sense that Lamar looks to Yanda as his rock. And why shouldn’t he? Who better to look to than an all pro future HOFer with over a decade in the league who protects your ass?

There was a “wired” sideline recording from last year where Yanda was doling out some advice to him. A hotshot youngster who thinks he’s all that might nod his head give a “ uh huh”. Lamar’s response? “Yes Sir”.

That bit where he looked to Yanda for validation on the 4th and 2 was beautiful. Youthful exuberance combined with a steady veteran hand. Love it.
I think Yanda is happy to have finally found a little bit of rock for himself, too.

So I read filmstudys notes on the Seattle game and it generally aligns with what we're seeing. Our tackles and Yanda are doing as well as expected and Skura is still getting manhandled. Bozeman is also playing poorly though is really good at pulling and hitting targets in space, I hope hes working on those penalties because he's still a replacement level player.

Bozeman got an A and allowed only 1 pressure. That's poor?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Yanda looked almost maniacally gleeful when Lamar turned to him about 4th and 2 - like dangerously unhinged

Tank

Hall of Famer

Yanda made it known right away that he was ecstatic about moving to a run first offense and Lamar being the key part of that change had them quickly forming a tight bond. It's also great the way Yanda is stepping up as a vocal leader. Listening to his pre game in Seattle was definitely a goose bumps moment.

Yanda looked almost maniacally gleeful when Lamar turned to him about 4th and 2 - like dangerously unhinged
Indeed ... dangerous for the D lineman opposite him. Yanda seems like such a mild-mannered dude, but like he said in a pregame (I'm paraphrasing here) - he flips the (crazy ass killer) switch on right before game time and encourages his teammates do the same.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
with the other guys on your list it was always going to be right player right price

with stanley and humphrey it will legitimately be the team going - we know we are going to make you the highest paid players in the league at your positions - now its just how and where and when we reset the market for each of them

id happily have stanley reset the market - probably going to get 18m maybe 19m a year from us

marlon likewise probably resets the corner market and gets 17m/yr himself

the problem with those other players is that we would have to pay them as if they were the best in the league despite not being sure they were - you could make the argument we should have paid CJ but the others not so much

weve finally got players worthy of the money they'd be able to get from us and we'll probably pay it happily as soon as possible to avoid inflation
If we were any other team, we probably would have matched those deals. The Ravens really only pay players if they're an elite player at the most important positions. I mean look at the trend, we paid Marlon and Jimmy and when have the Ravens ever let go a blue chip player into FA? Not often. We tend to keep those type of guys. Stanley and Marlon aren't going anyway.

Bozeman got an A and allowed only 1 pressure. That's poor?
Well, the poster should have said Bozeman "has been" and not "is", playing poorly, because that evaluation gave him an A, but did say he was playing poorly enough to put his starting job in jeopardy. He has been looking very good as a pulling guard and, since we seem to do a lot of that, it is an important skill and I suspect it is why he won the starting job.

Some people see our O line as an issue that we need to address, but you can't have at or near pro-bowl level players at every position. We have 2 studs, one well above average and 2 serviceable (though I know some don't classify Bozeman or Skura as that). That doesn't comes in at 4th behind pass rush, wide out and ILB as our weakest groups IMO.

I do agree though that I want to see a very high selection on the interior line in next year draft. Yanda is still a stud, but father time is undefeated.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
tell me about. I even read somewhere that said James Hurst could be a player that we trade. I doubt it though.

James Hurst is great insurance because it gives us a plug and play player along the whole line. If our center were to get hurt we can just move Bozeman over and put Hurst in at LG.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
James Hurst is great insurance because it gives us a plug and play player along the whole line. If our center were to get hurt we can just move Bozeman over and put Hurst in at LG.
Although I do agree that he is good insurance and should be kept for the remainder of this season. I do believe this is the last season he will be a Ravens. My reasoning is that he counts 5.25m against the cap and by releasing him we save 3m.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/james-hurst-14676/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we were any other team, we probably would have matched those deals. The Ravens really only pay players if they're an elite player at the most important positions. I mean look at the trend, we paid Marlon and Jimmy and when have the Ravens ever let go a blue chip player into FA? Not often. We tend to keep those type of guys. Stanley and Marlon aren't going anyway.

Yeah its why losing CJ was so surprising but that was an odd situation where his positional value to us apparently was much lower than his contractual value on the open market

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Although I do agree that he is good insurance and should be kept for the remainder of this season. I do believe this is the last season he will be a Ravens. My reasoning is that he counts 5.25m against the cap and by releasing him we save 3m.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/james-hurst-14676/

he's a really nice guy to have as a 6th OL (and he made a key seal on the 4th and 2 against seattle) but that's a lot to play for a guy who's not going to play many snaps through the year - but we're not up against the cap next year and one of our tackles will still be on a rookie deal so we may well keep him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's a really nice guy to have as a 6th OL (and he made a key seal on the 4th and 2 against seattle) but that's a lot to play for a guy who's not going to play many snaps through the year - but we're not up against the cap next year and one of our tackles will still be on a rookie deal so we may well keep him
well, I always consider Boyle our 6th OL. Maybe James is our 7th lineman.

I'd hope Mekari and Powers would go up the depth chart. That being said they are backup guards and Hurst is a backup tackle

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well, I always consider Boyle our 6th OL. Maybe James is our 7th lineman.

I'd hope Mekari and Powers would go up the depth chart. That being said they are backup guards and Hurst is a backup tackle

mekari's got some tackle experience in college (but he's not suited to it at the pro-level)

what i love about boyle is that even joe d'allesandris treats him like a 280+ lb guard

it was outrageous that as a pure pass blocker he would have graded out well as a tackle last year