• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

The Raven

Veteran
I don't think they would've traded Zuttah and then sign him again after he's been cut to be the starter at center. They were comfortable enough to let him go in the first place, so I'm thinking he was brought in to compete for the LG spot or as depth.
$2-3M is too much for depth. He'll be starting. Hopefully at LG. I actually think Zuttah would fit in quite well as a gap blocking LG. I think he brings a certain mobility to the position that we currently lack. He'll be able to pull, trap, and get to the second level better than most of our guys.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You guys do realize Zuttah and Howard are not on teams now because not only have they declined, they were not that great to begin with,
Our o line wasnt great last year but was better than what we have this year.

The Raven

Veteran
@Sami84 who's gonna start at LG -- and be servicable -- if not Zuttah? I'll wait.

I like Skura and Eluemunor and Pughsley but none are ready. Maybe Hurst? But that's it.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Sami84 who's gonna start at LG -- and be servicable -- if not Zuttah? I'll wait.

I like Skura and Eluemunor and Pughsley but none are ready. Maybe Hurst? But that's it.

Trade! The fact they dont want to trade is because they have no intent on really doing anything this year and are going to wait next year to address the line.

Zuttah was a lazy choice. I'm sure there are guys on other teams that could get cut who are not only younger than zuttah but potentially better and a better scheme fit.

We moved on from zuttah because he has 0 push and gets bullied.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
San francisco dont even have a great line and didnt think he was good enough for a scheme that actualy fits him.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade! The fact they dont want to trade is because they have no intent on really doing anything this year and are going to wait next year to address the line.

Zuttah was a lazy choice. I'm sure there are guys on other teams that could get cut who are not only younger than zuttah but potentially better and a better scheme fit.

We moved on from zuttah because he has 0 push and gets bullied.

Didnt you JUST say how hard it is to find good OLinemen? Why would a team willingly part with one? You are now saying the right call is to hope some team screws up.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Didnt you JUST say how hard it is to find good OLinemen? Why would a team willingly part with one? You are now saying the right call is to hope some team screws up.

Give up a second round pick. Second round picks are overrated and the ravens track record with 2nd round picks proves that.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
San francisco dont even have a great line and didnt think he was good enough for a scheme that actualy fits him.

He isnt good enoufh to start for SF or here but a simple questiom remains, is he better than Skura, Wesley, Nembot, and Elum. Its pretty clear he is so he is needed as the top backup

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Second round picks are... overrated? And the Ravens screwed up by signing a guy that has more career starts than our entire starting line last night? Delete your fucking account. Good God you're an idiot. You're not even just negative. You're fucking stupid. Dumb. Lacking brain cells. Like you were thrown at a fucking wall. Get help.

Watch this line..I'm going to copy and save what you just wrote and make it my signature by week 4

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
taking into account that the best 2nd round pick we've had has been osemele and torrey smith since 2003 ( the latter being an average WR) the former being a very good gaurd who we didnt even bother keeping..

yeah, 2nd round picks are overrated. 90% of them ended up being mediocre or out of the league.

The Raven

Veteran
Watch this line..I'm going to copy and save what you just wrote and make it my signature by week 4
Weren't you one of those assholes who thought we wouldn't even make the playoffs during the year we won the Super Bowl. Yeah, let me put that in my signature, pleb.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
actually the only year where i said since the SB we'd make the playoffs was 2014.

this year, we'll finish 8-8 and that will only be because of the D. This will be a bottom 5 offense. The offensive line is the most important group in football. They can dictate games like nothing else and this offensive line is the worst we've had in recent memory and if you think flacco has the ability to win games with his non-existent football IQ and a bad O line you're in la la land.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
You guys do realize Zuttah and Howard are not on teams now because not only have they declined, they were not that great to begin with,
Our o line wasnt great last year but was better than what we have this year.

This is actually one of the easiest posts to disprove.

LT will be better because Stanley was getting better as the year went on.

LG will be largely the same. Alex Lewis had some growing pains and other than when Yanda was shifted over the position waa never great.

C will be WAY better for all the teasons you already know.

RG will be the same. More Yanda.

RT will be worse. I am unsure HOW worse because of how well Hurst has been playing but at least slightly worse.

2 positions better and 1 worse does not equal a,weaker OLine

The Raven

Veteran

LG will be largely the same. Alex Lewis had some growing pains and other than when Yanda was shifted over the position waa never great.

RT will be worse. I am unsure HOW worse because of how well Hurst has been playing but at least slightly worse.

Not to mention that the scheme change, in my opinion, will make RT and LG upgrades via scheme fit. So far, Hurst in a gap scheme has looked better than Wagner in an inside zone scheme. If Howard's better than Hurst, which he likely is, we're in good shape there. Wagner was vastly overrated as a run blocker. And I do think that either Zuttah or Hurst or whoever plays will be a better gap LG than Alex Lewis was a zone LG.

Scheme matters, and that's a large part of why our oline looks so much better compared to this point last year.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'll give it 4 weeks. I'll eat humble pie if you're proven right.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
While Zuttah isn't a terrible signing, or as terrible a player as some seem to think, I don't understand this move. Weren't we trying to get bigger and stronger on the O line?

The Raven

Veteran
While Zuttah isn't a terrible signing, or as terrible a player as some seem to think, I don't understand this move. Weren't we trying to get bigger and stronger on the O line?
Yes let's go sign one of the many available linemen with size and starting experience

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes let's go sign one of the many available linemen with size and starting experience

Zuttah has size? he's a small dude that gets bullied and is purley finesse and in obvious decline. the 49'rs got rid of him for a reason and its because they saw that as well. Remember their O line isnt great either.