• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Just scored the Dolphins game for Howard, Jensen, and Hurst and it wasn't pretty for Howard:

Scoring 21 Plays, 14 blocks, 1 missed, 1 (2 X 1/2) penetrations, 2.33 pressures, 1 holding, 1.33 points, .06 per play.

He looked extremely slow to me and if he doesn't take a significant step up, I expect he'll move to LG with Hurst at RT when Stanley returns.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
it is beginning to look like zuttah is the starting center again. unfortunately the fo decided to bypass drafting a center or acquiring one via free agency/trade and with all of the injuries there stuck now

Did everyone already forget how bad FA and draft class was for OL players this,year?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just scored the Dolphins game for Howard, Jensen, and Hurst and it wasn't pretty for Howard:

Scoring 21 Plays, 14 blocks, 1 missed, 1 (2 X 1/2) penetrations, 2.33 pressures, 1 holding, 1.33 points, .06 per play.

He looked extremely slow to me and if he doesn't take a significant step up, I expect he'll move to LG with Hurst at RT when Stanley returns.
Appreciate the insight and thanks for joining our new site.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching the Titans O line just ain't fair. We are going to struggle mightly against that team, no matter how good our D line is. Lewan and Conklin can handle our pass rushers.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
This FO have to realize they cannot go into the season with the current O line roster. Not doing anything to upgrade this unit would be sheer negligence. I really, really hope that zuttah wasn't the lazy move, which does nothing but add reserve quality depth at this point in his career.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

I don't think he is a RT at this juncture of his career. He may be a fine roadgrading guard. I like the interior trio of Yanda Jensen and Howard. The Oline may fall on Hursts potential at RT. I hear he is bigger and stronger by quite a lot. If he can be average at least the line could be fine if Stanley can dominate at LT. And if the interior trio can be above average while very physical and intimidate the competition. Jensen is 328 lbs nasty physical and an underrated athlete. Howard is 350 and is a physical gritty mauler. He gets off the line with enough explosion. But is slow moving around after the snap to play tackle. But he gets off the line nicely for 350 lbs. and he is very long to get his hands on opponents. He is powerful and attempts to maul and move opponents. So he should be a fine guard. Then Yanda is Yanda. The interior should be fine.

Howard was a good signing. Although will play a different opponent than planned. If Hurst can impress at RT the line could really surprise. If he is the Hurst nobody likes then management has I pull off a trade. And do it right with a good tackle in his prime. So that I'm the draft oline won't be such a desperate need. There is Stanley and then Lewis returning. The RT we trade for. And a young physical athletic center with unusual drive blocking power for a center.

Management Will only need to find a mauling guard to join up with Stanley Lewis Jensen and the good RT we trade for. Maybe even sign a really good guard in free agency to tandem with Lewis. He should come back next year looking really good and powerful with a year to work on his body. He was already looking really good this year. He likes to lift and with a year to do nothing but. He should be quite a specimen. Oline could be really good. Management needs to invest in it and prioritize. And begin with RT now. If Hurst is a liability then management needs to begin thst by parting with the pick(s) to fix RT

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
View attachment 135

Tick tock tick tock.

This is the pie that I want...... @Lost_In_Translation

Real humble pie sounds even more delicious.

The expression derives from umble pie, which was a pie filled with the chopped or minced parts of a beast's 'pluck' – the heart, liver, lungs or 'lights' and kidneys, especially of deer but often other meats. Umble evolved from numble, (after the French nomble) meaning 'deer's innards'

Doesn't it?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Real humble pie sounds even more delicious.

The expression derives from umble pie, which was a pie filled with the chopped or minced parts of a beast's 'pluck' – the heart, liver, lungs or 'lights' and kidneys, especially of deer but often other meats. Umble evolved from numble, (after the French nomble) meaning 'deer's innards'

Doesn't it?
Are you Danny D? This is something Danny D would say

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think you should tell a local where to eat. Though there is a monkeypod in Oahu near the Disney resort
Lol, this is probably true, but last year I spoke to a local and in our conversations I mentioned Cinnamons and they hadn't heard of it and loved pancakes and said they had to try them. I get your point, but that's not always the case.

He may know of the restaurant, but if he doesn't and likes pancakes he should try them.

it is beginning to look like zuttah is the starting center again. unfortunately the fo decided to bypass drafting a center or acquiring one via free agency/trade and with all of the injuries there stuck now
Sure seems that way ... why is it that the position group we decide to go cheap on always gets bit hardest by the injury bug?

Anyway, starting to look like Zuttah is indeed our best bad option. Harbs can reassure us all in pressers how the O line is just fine - I'm not buying it. It was the shakiest aspect of the team going into the offseason and is only gotten worse. Any additions we make at this juncture are not going to help the starting group - unless we make a trade ... and whoever is our trading partner is going to hold us over a barrel.

This FO have to realize they cannot go into the season with the current O line roster. Not doing anything to upgrade this unit would be sheer negligence. I really, really hope that zuttah wasn't the lazy move, which does nothing but add reserve quality depth at this point in his career.
I know you've suggested trades, but I think they've all involved guards. Currently we have 2 options at C - Jensen and Zuttah. One of those guys is going to be our starting C, no matter what else we do. Zuttah could end up being our C, even if we make a deal - so long as he outplays Jensen, which isn't too big of a stretch.

I don't think he is a RT at this juncture of his career. He may be a fine roadgrading guard. I like the interior trio of Yanda Jensen and Howard. The Oline may fall on Hursts potential at RT. I hear he is bigger and stronger by quite a lot. If he can be average at least the line could be fine if Stanley can dominate at LT. And if the interior trio can be above average while very physical and intimidate the competition. Jensen is 328 lbs nasty physical and an underrated athlete. Howard is 350 and is a physical gritty mauler. He gets off the line with enough explosion. But is slow moving around after the snap to play tackle. But he gets off the line nicely for 350 lbs. and he is very long to get his hands on opponents. He is powerful and attempts to maul and move opponents. So he should be a fine guard. Then Yanda is Yanda. The interior should be fine.

Howard was a good signing. Although will play a different opponent than planned. If Hurst can impress at RT the line could really surprise. If he is the Hurst nobody likes then management has I pull off a trade. And do it right with a good tackle in his prime. So that I'm the draft oline won't be such a desperate need. There is Stanley and then Lewis returning. The RT we trade for. And a young physical athletic center with unusual drive blocking power for a center.

Management Will only need to find a mauling guard to join up with Stanley Lewis Jensen and the good RT we trade for. Maybe even sign a really good guard in free agency to tandem with Lewis. He should come back next year looking really good and powerful with a year to work on his body. He was already looking really good this year. He likes to lift and with a year to do nothing but. He should be quite a specimen. Oline could be really good. Management needs to invest in it and prioritize. And begin with RT now. If Hurst is a liability then management needs to begin thst by parting with the pick(s) to fix RT
I've heard a good bit on this thread that Howard should be LG and Hurst goes out to RT. I haven't heard the team even hint at this. We won't know anything until Stanley returns as to what they really may do on the line shuffle, because with Stanley out, Hurst is LT. Really, really want to see Stanley back for in preseason game 3, have him wipe out his guy on a few series and call it a preseason.

Until then, I remain concerned about his non-disclosed, non-serious injury. Harbs has reassured us all by saying “No season-ending thing or anything like that. He’s got something he’s working through.". Not season ending, well ... that's good news.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've heard a good bit on this thread that Howard should be LG and Hurst goes out to RT. I haven't heard the team even hint at this. We won't know anything until Stanley returns as to what they really may do on the line shuffle, because with Stanley out, Hurst is LT. Really, really want to see Stanley back for in preseason game 3, have him wipe out his guy on a few series and call it a preseason.

Until then, I remain concerned about his non-disclosed, non-serious injury. Harbs has reassured us all by saying “No season-ending thing or anything like that. He’s got something he’s working through.". Not season ending, well ... that's good news.

not season ending doesnt mean it's not serious. 2 -3 months isnt ''season ending'' but its pretty serious.