• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

The Greek

Veteran
after the 3rd preseason game is when a ton of cuts will be made especially with older vets so hopefully a lineman or 2 will be found to help the cause.

Last edited:

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
It's actually a bad situation to be in. If you start drafting for need, and filling holes, and not following your draft board then in the long run, it is possible, the team will not be as good, because the players aren't as good.

I believe in drafting best player available regardless of need, in most instances. Now when a team sets up the big board, certain positions have a higher value then others and if a couple of players are close on the draft board, and one of them is a player of need, then I'm sure the front office would go with the player of need.

This year, outside of Williams and Davis, the WR talent wasn't that good. I wasn't a fan of John Ross because his injury history, so I wouldn't have taken him until the second round. Same thing goes for oline. I wasn't thrilled with any guard outside of Forrest Lamp and I watched a ton of his tape as well as other lineman.

If you don't follow your board, the team will most likely fail.
For the record, I hate trading back early also. I don't think it is wise to pass up a blue chip player to gain more picks. I would agree you should not reach for a player of need but I am not a strict "stay true to your board" guy if we have a big need in a critical position. If we have a serious need for a starting CB, LT, Pass Rush, I am not going to take a wide receiver unless it is a player like an AJ Green, TE, or RB even if we have one rated higher on our board.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For the record, I hate trading back early also. I don't think it is wise to pass up a blue chip player to gain more picks. I would agree you should not reach for a player of need but I am not a strict "stay true to your board" guy if we have a big need in a critical position. If we have a serious need for a starting CB, LT, Pass Rush, I am not going to take a wide receiver unless it is a player like an AJ Green, TE, or RB even if we have one rated higher on our board.
I have no issues trading back if there are several players rated similarly and will most likely make it to the trade down spot.

Im not a fan of taking rb or te is the first round, however agree there are some exceptions to the rule.

The Raven

Veteran
I have concerns about the conditioning of some of our guys, but that may improve throughout the season. Skura's looking better -- he's been pulling and trapping a lot more than the others, which I take as a sign that they like him doing that. Jensen is still a goddamn triceratops hunting beast. Hurst struggled slightly with speed rushers but I don't think he ever let in a sack.

Howard looks out of shape as shit.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Run blocking wasn't good but let's wait until they actually dig deeper into Roman's scheme and don't go all vanilla.

Pass pro was great for the starters and that's an excellent thing when your QB is Joe Flacco.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
A move is coming. I can feel it. If Ozzie and Harbaugh are actually confident in this line that's being fielded, then someone needs to get their head our of their ass and someone needs to go. Jensen looks solid, and Howard will get better the more he gets into shape, but the LG position is too big of a question mark and both of our realistic options(Siragusa and Lewis) are injured. I refuse to believe that the team is confident in Skura/Hurst/Zuttah.

Something is coming. We have enough room for another move.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
A move is coming. I can feel it. If Ozzie and Harbaugh are actually confident in this line that's being fielded, then someone needs to get their head our of their ass and someone needs to go. Jensen looks solid, and Howard will get better the more he gets into shape, but the LG position is too big of a question mark and both of our realistic options(Siragusa and Lewis) are injured. I refuse to believe that the team is confident in Skura/Hurst/Zuttah.

Something is coming. We have enough room for another move.
If we don't make a trade, Who do you think we will be starting at RT Howard or Hurst? Who do you think we will be starting at LG, Eluemunour or Skura?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If we don't make a trade, Who do you think we will be starting at RT Howard or Hurst? Who do you think we will be starting at LG, Eluemunour or Skura?
Howard will be at RT. Little doubt in my mind. Paying him too much money to sit on the bench. Upon review of his tape last week his issue, at least in my humble opinion, is his lack of conditioning.

LG is a harder nut to crack. I think it will be Eluemunor, much to my horror. Sure, baptism by fire, but at what cost? I think over time he could turn out to be good, but he's not going to be good this quickly. We need another option.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Howard will be at RT. Little doubt in my mind. Paying him too much money to sit on the bench. Upon review of his tape last week his issue, at least in my humble opinion, is his lack of conditioning.

LG is a harder nut to crack. I think it will be Eluemunor, much to my horror. Sure, baptism by fire, but at what cost? I think over time he could turn out to be good, but he's not going to be good this quickly. We need another option.
I agree about Eluemunor, I think he was supposed to just be a backup and learn the position as Nico was the more NFL ready. Unfortunately Nico may never start for our team with all that damage to that knee. Of course losing Lewis and Urchel early did not help us at guard either. I hope a decent trade is in the works because I don't think Zuttah is going to work out good for us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I asked Filmstudy who he thought we could trade for a player.

He felt we wouldn't trade a player in yr 1 or 2, but could trade ZDS, Carl Davis, or Trevin Wade.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
No big upgrade at LG this O line will be the reason why nothing happens on O. It's 1 position and it's key.
As much as Harbaugh likes to blow the everything is going to be great trumpet like a buffoon, the reality is that you need a good to very good O line in this league if you dont have an elite or very good QB or/and RB. That applies to us. We have an average QB and average RB's.

get the o line done.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Has Wade been decent? I haven't really noticed him.
Per PFF He's been solid. Not nearly as good as Hill, but solid. Some team would trade a 7th rounder for him probably but it's just not worth it(I mean if Nick Easton can get traded then a lot of people can be traded).

ZDS and Carl Davis likely have their trade values at the highest they've ever been. I'd rather give up Smith between the two as Davis has higher upside and we are unlikely to retain Urban next offseason.

Truth be told I'd sacrifice a Mike Wallace for an oline man too.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Per PFF He's been solid. Not nearly as good as Hill, but solid. Some team would trade a 7th rounder for him probably but it's just not worth it(I mean if Nick Easton can get traded then a lot of people can be traded).

ZDS and Carl Davis likely have their trade values at the highest they've ever been. I'd rather give up Smith between the two as Davis has higher upside and we are unlikely to retain Urban next offseason.

Truth be told I'd sacrifice a Mike Wallace for an oline man too.
That sounds unlikely, but I'm all for bringing in help on the oline.