• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Yes I'm sure that it's effort that's the issue and not metabolism or biological factors yes thank you for your brilliant fucking insight. It's not like Hurst isn't routinely called one of the hardest workers on the team or like he fails conditioning tests and shit like that. You're probably right man Hurst is just a lazy bastard.

Get some help.

Are u serious?? If beer belly couch pots can get in amazing physical shape when he puts effort in front. Then y can't a world class athlete?? I have personally saw many chunk lights and completely outa shape dudes that could not bench press their body weight. Yet go on to be some of the most ripped strongest pound for pound dudes I ever saw. Dudes that couldn't bench 135lbs went on to put up 405lbs and rep 225 25+. I never said he was lazy. He is doing something wrong or being misled.

Look at Stallone in Rocky 1 and 2. Then all his movies after that!! You think he wasn't training and trying to look like an action star already?? He wanted to look like Carl Weathers all along. And he trained and did his best to look like somebody who belonged in the ring with a Carl Weathers. Whom actually looked like a top shelf athlete. But concluded he was never going to get stronger much less look anything like that. Then he met somebody who reccomended a couple trainers that really knew what the hell he was doing. He got a lot stronger, more athletic and actually looked like he was on the level of his co star Carl Weathers. Then you have the Stallone physique legacy lol. Anybody can get better dude. But I understand talking about adding muscle and leaning out/ buffing up is r uncomfy for some people to talk about

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I was personally unsurprised by Hurst's struggles. I recall debating with another member who was notably higher on him as a prospect, but I thought there were significant issues on tape during his tenure at North Carolina. In my eyes, the 1st round consideration came off as a media puff piece. He technically did prevent Clowney from notching a sack, but the report on BR about the stonewalling was off the mark. It was far from a perfect game. Aside from twice leaving him unblocked to double team inside with the LG, he had trouble containing Clowney on a number of plays (Link1, Link2, Link3). Basically a tackle on the last play. The rest of the afternoon certainly wasn't awful by any means, but it also wasn't entirely rosy. He gave up a couple of pressures and had a sprinkle of an embarrassing play or two such as the following (Link1). And this was arguably one of his most notable performances of the season. The chief concern is that the very same issues that have held him back over the past few years were the same ones that were clearly visible in college. Hurst would routinely either chest press or lean his top half downward, abandon his kick slide on either the first or second shuffle, flip his hips, and walk with opposing edge rushers while attempting to push them out of the lane. There's virtually no knee bend, balance or leverage. Instead of controlling the defender inside of their pads and staying square, it became a chase-and-shove motion. It can be effective in college, and it wasn't his only plan of attack. But utilizing it in the pros on outside moves is a strategy that is almost bound to leave you dead in the water, and it's exactly what has plagued him to date. It's why I took him off my board entirely during that FM season prior to the draft. That being said, I thought that Hurst improved somewhat down the stretch of last season. It wasn't a monumental change, but it's encouraging, and I hope that it's a step in the right direction. However, I thought his college tape was at least partly indicative of his in-league performance thus far. I didn't see him sniffing the 1st round before the injury on my personal board.

As always a thing of beauty your breakdowns

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Are u serious?? If beer belly couch pots can get in amazing physical shape when he puts effort in front. Then y can't a world class athlete?? I have personally saw many chunk lights and completely outa shape dudes that could not bench press their body weight. Yet go on to be some of the most ripped strongest pound for pound dudes I ever saw. Dudes that couldn't bench 135lbs went on to put up 405lbs and rep 225 25+. I never said he was lazy. He is doing something wrong or being misled.

Look at Stallone in Rocky 1 and 2. Then all his movies after that!! You think he wasn't training and trying to look like an action star already?? He wanted to look like Carl Weathers all along. And he trained and did his best to look like somebody who belonged in the ring with a Carl Weathers. Whom actually looked like a top shelf athlete. But concluded he was never going to get stronger much less look anything like that. Then he met somebody who reccomended a couple trainers that really knew what the hell he was doing. He got a lot stronger, more athletic and actually looked like he was on the level of his co star Carl Weathers. Then you have the Stallone physique legacy lol. Anybody can get better dude. But I understand talking about adding muscle and leaning out/ buffing up is r uncomfy for some people to talk about
Dude... some people simply don't have the biological makeup to put on a certain amount of muscle without becoming useless. Sure he could do a bodybuilders routine but then he snaps every ligament in his body as soon as he steps on the field because he has zero flexibility.

This is like saying "well why doesn't campanaro just not get injured?" Or "why doesn't Winchester take all that knowledge and work in the NFL?" It's just not in the cards for everyone

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Dude... some people simply don't have the biological makeup to put on a certain amount of muscle without becoming useless. Sure he could do a bodybuilders routine but then he snaps every ligament in his body as soon as he steps on the field because he has zero flexibility.

This is like saying "well why doesn't campanaro just not get injured?" Or "why doesn't Winchester take all that knowledge and work in the NFL?" It's just not in the cards for everyone

Did I say gain 50 lbs of muscle and become a bodybuilder? Only some functional structural muscle. And comparing adding a little muscle to an injury prone player is comparing apples to oranges. Some players can't help bring injury prone. But anybody CAN get stronger if you follow proper guidelines.

The Raven

Veteran
John urschel retired the first day of training camp wtf is happening
He probably saw the latest report on CTE, which showed that just about everyone who plays the sport of football gets CTE, and decided to preserve his brain. I honestly can't blame him. After I saw that report, I'm really looking at this sport in a different way.

The Raven

Veteran
CTE concerns aside, I'm okay with this. One less softy olineman on the roster. I'm not saying he's a softy for CTE concerns, but the man is just not a nasty blocker. He doesn't hit people. He doesn't strike fear into the hearts of linebackers. He's a soft football player at a position where you legitimately need to be an asshole. I haven't been impressed with his play since he was a rookie. He's regressed each year.

The Greek

Veteran
He probably saw the latest report on CTE, which showed that just about everyone who plays the sport of football gets CTE, and decided to preserve his brain. I honestly can't blame him. After I saw that report, I'm really looking at this sport in a different way.
i agree and we will see more players retiring

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
And the oline takes another hit. I know he wasn't starting material, but damnit he was good depth.

It's a great thing that we focused our offseason on building the line up...

Oh wait.
Fuck you Ozzie.