• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbh just call Mathis to come out of retirement. Or get the C back we traded to the 49ers 2 seasons ago. I think the pre-season oline play will be a complete disaster, are there even enough back-ups?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
tbh just call Mathis to come out of retirement. Or get the C back we traded to the 49ers 2 seasons ago. I think the pre-season oline play will be a complete disaster, are there even enough back-ups?
Are you referring to Zuttah?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Nope but it does make me a lot more frustrated. Urschel was a good depth player on an already weak offensive line. We were screwed if an injury happened before. We are even more screwed now. We're honestly so fucked.

Flacco has a back injury, OL in shambles. Lets implement the 2011 Colts strategy and tank for the number one pick. Then rob some QB desperate team for a billion first round picks in exchange for Darnold or Rosen.

On a serious note.... this truly sucks. Our team is falling apart.

The Raven

Veteran
Welp........ at least this means our rookies are going to be given every chance to start.
Which is actually a good thing. Lack of experience with live bullets is no. 1 reason olinemen are failing these days. Get em out there this year and let them grow.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm mostly concerned for Flacco's knee. If we could stay healthy I could easily see us as a playoff team. I still have us with a winning record at the end of the day but I'm mostly infuriated because the FO doesn't seem to understand that acquisitions need to be made. Hurst is most certainly not a starter, and Lewis should not be at guard. Truth be told, if we rolled out a oline of Stanley-Siragusa-Jensen-Yanda-Lewis. I'd be more than happy with it even if I thought that we still needed to address it in the following offseason. In fact, I hope that it works out because then we really go into next season with one major need(running back).

If you've paid attention. I think we have three good WRs in Perriman, Maclin, and Wallace with good potential at TEs. But I'm of the view that you don't need a stud RB if you have a good oline. Which is where I become worried again. Even with a run game guru like Roman here, you have to have good personnel to make it work. It frustrates me that we've done NOTHING/haven't learned from mistakes.

But I'm very worried about the line. The defense I have little to no concerns(at least Ozzie drafted good defensive players while ignoring the offense). Skill positions could be better, but we're not screwed. Defensive line we should be good.

To me, unless our defense have one of the best seasons in years, I don't think this team will make the playoffs with all of the question marks on the offensive line. Flacco, like virtually every other QB, NEEDS solid protection to do work. No coincidence that the ONE season that we had a good o-line post-Super Bowl Victory 2 was the ONLY season we made the playoffs

As far as this season is concerned, I had us going anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 (with solid o-line play). It's looking more like a 8-8 season all over again.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
To me, unless our defense have one of the best seasons in years, I don't think this team will make the playoffs with all of the question marks on the offensive line. Flacco, like virtually every other QB, NEEDS solid protection to do work. No coincidence that the ONE season that we had a good o-line post-Super Bowl Victory 2 was the ONLY season we made the playoffs

As far as this season is concerned, I had us going anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 (with solid o-line play). It's looking more like a 8-8 season all over again.

In order to have just 8 wins you have assume a LOT of bad teams this year are suddenly going to suddenly not be bad. The Bengals and Browns are bad this year, the Bears are a catastrophe, the Jags are still 1-2 years from being a real team, the Dolphins never show up against the Ravens, and the Colts are managing to have a WORSE OLine then the Ravens yet again because they are the worst drafting team not residing in Cleveland. Thats 8 wins already and the Ravens seem to have the Steelers number lately and I honestly expect the Lions to take a step back. So without even trying I hit 10 wins and thats assuming they lose EVERY game against a decent team and split the Steelers which is an easy request.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
In order to have just 8 wins you have assume a LOT of bad teams this year are suddenly going to suddenly not be bad. The Bengals and Browns are bad this year, the Bears are a catastrophe, the Jags are still 1-2 years from being a real team, the Dolphins never show up against the Ravens, and the Colts are managing to have a WORSE OLine then the Ravens yet again because they are the worst drafting team not residing in Cleveland. Thats 8 wins already and the Ravens seem to have the Steelers number lately and I honestly expect the Lions to take a step back. So without even trying I hit 10 wins and thats assuming they lose EVERY game against a decent team and split the Steelers which is an easy request.

You make good points, but what you did was make predictions on paper. Who knows what'll happen against each team on the schedule. I mean, the Bengals have had our number as of late especially in Cincy. Last time we won there? 2011. As bad the Browns are, they still play us tough (even more so in CLE). Same goes for the Jags.

Heck look at last season. We should've beaten the Skins at home and the Jets (we were scoreless in the 2nd half against those bums smh). As much as I love this team, they don't make it easy for us fans when they play close games damn near all season long especially against teams we should beating by a couple of possessions. I don't know man, but I'm keeping the hope alive.

Its also worth mentioning that our two capable players missed games last season, and Yanda is going to turn 33.

We've really screwed up.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
everyone knows deep down this O line is a weakness. When the season is over the talk will be all about how we didn't do jackshit to make the O line good enough.

No good O line..no Playoffs. simple as that.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
everyone knows deep down this O line is a weakness. When the season is over the talk will be all about how we didn't do jackshit to make the O line good enough.

Pretty hard to disagree for once...

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

They wont wont go deep in the playoffs because of the oline but the schedule is just too good for the Ravens to not have a pretty easy rode to 10 wins

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
If we're serious about keeping Lewis at OG, I'd like for us to take a look at Austin Howard, though that's largely dependent on his health. Howard enjoyed a very good 2015 campaign before have a down season the year after. That being said, he (almost unfathomably) played through both a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff, injuries he suffered during training camp of that year, which earns serious points in my book for toughness. The issue with Howard is that he was questionable for the current training camp, so his availability is likely to be an ongoing concern. But if he's not rushed, he could very well be worth signing.

The Raven

Veteran
If we're serious about keeping Lewis at OG, I'd like for us to take a look at Austin Howard, though that's largely dependent on his health. Howard enjoyed a very good 2015 campaign before have a down season the year after. That being said, he (almost unfathomably) played through both a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff, injuries he suffered during training camp of that year, which earns serious points in my book for toughness. The issue with Howard is that he was questionable for this training camp, so his availability is likely to be an ongoing concern. But if he's not rushed, he could very well be worth signing.
He's a big, monstrous mauler of a man, which clearly fits the identity going forward. I'd like this pickup.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i worry about our RB's. Dixon was the only guy i thought with potential. With this shitty O line and no playmaker at RB i can't believe ozzie and co arent going to do something to try and salvage this O.

This O is atrociously built. It's actually insulting to the fanbase.

Ray Rice was a playmaker but there was still a vast difference to his production depending on how strong our oline was in any given year, we even had a microcosm of Rays career with Forsett (before and after KO). So regardless of who is in the backfield we have failed to put them in a position to succeed.