• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Off topic but I do think this sport is going to die one day, probably sooner rather than later. This report was another nail in the coffin.

For the most part this is the NFL's fault. I've said all along just make players sign waivers if possible and keep it moving. Just promise to disclose all the info you know, but you you know that would still be too damaging to their image.

Also, does this really change any of our expectations that much for this season?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
For the most part this is the NFL's fault. I've said all along just make players sign waivers if possible and keep it moving. Just promise to disclose all the info you know, but you you know that would still be too damaging to their image.

Also, does this really change any of our expectations that much for this season?
Nope but it does make me a lot more frustrated. Urschel was a good depth player on an already weak offensive line. We were screwed if an injury happened before. We are even more screwed now. We're honestly so fucked.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Off topic but I do think this sport is going to die one day, probably sooner rather than later. This report was another nail in the coffin.
I could see it going more the way of boxing (becoming kind of a niche sport with its glory days noticeably behind it). I said in another thread that if I had a kid with the talent to choose between a career in the NBA or the NFL I'd be buying them basketball gear until they got the hint, and the plummeting junior football numbers suggests that's a common sentiment. That usually takes a generation or so to take its full effect, and I'd imagine it starts with more and more positional shortages in the NFL (like what we're seeing with C atm, but on a much broader level). And I have to admit that I've been finding the NFL harder to watch over the past few years - I find myself cringing when a player's head, hips or knees get clattered and I know what's going to happen to that player long-term - and I'm curious about how many other people feel similarly.

But as for Urschel, you can't really blame him, especially since he has a pretty cognitive career lined up afterwards. It's a shame to see him go (I agree he wasn't starter material at all, but I did think he was decent enough to have on the squad at least), but our OL was up to fucks anyway.

I get the kinda bleak feeling that signing Mangold won't do an awful lot to stop the bleeding either. There's clearly a reason he hasn't been signed almost two months after he stopped counting against the comp picks. Just ride out this year, hope Joe doesn't die, and look forward to handing in the "Quentin Nelson, no matter what" card in the offseason. Not that I'd be opposed to trading for someone, mind.

The Raven

Veteran
Well unless Skura brings the heat it looks like I'll get my wish for Jensen to start at center -- for better or worse.

I'd love a trade, and I mean no disrespect by this, but you're kidding yourselves if you think we're going to trade for a starter quality center at the start of camp. The number of quality linemen is already low, and whoever has one is going to hang on to that advantage. I could see a trade for a backup but not for any kind of difference maker.

Another note: I think Eluemunor is officially going to make the 53 man. He was a bubble guy, maybe an IR guy, if you ask me, but I think we don't have a choice but to keep him now.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are there other teams entering TC , crossing their fingers and hoping that both the Right tackle and the center position will be won by career second tier players?

Seems a gamble to put it gently.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Well unless Skura brings the heat it looks like I'll get my wish for Jensen to start at center -- for better or worse.

I'd love a trade, and I mean no disrespect by this, but you're kidding yourselves if you think we're going to trade for a starter quality center at the start of camp. The number of quality linemen is already low, and whoever has one is going to hang on to that advantage. I could see a trade for a backup but not for any kind of difference maker.

Another note: I think Eluemunor is officially going to make the 53 man. He was a bubble guy, maybe an IR guy, if you ask me, but I think we don't have a choice but to keep him now.
I should have said so in my post, but I agree. If we can land anyone at all, it'll be in the Allen Barbre ball park at best (unless we can catch lightning in a bottle and pull a Monroe trade for someone in a contract year, but there's no reason to expect that to happen). Like I said I think we go ride or die with what we've got, and hope to retool in the offseason (that might not be as easy as it sounds, mind). Which is a shame our unit's such a question mark since Joe's not getting any younger, but what can you do I guess.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Training camp just started and like Always vets will be released. Hopefully we will find aserviceable starter when that happens

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@Lost_In_Translation are you okay buddy you've seemed a little down lately lol
He's been doom-and-gloom this whole off-season
If I'm a little more angry than normal I'm involved in a stupid lawsuit right now that's eating up all of my time and energy, some people in this world are fucking idiots(I'm going against an egotistical 55 year old who threatened to beat up someone at my gym and then threatened to beat me up. He was kicked out and he's blaming us. He's a fucking idiot). I have nothing against most of the members here, and I thank you both for having a degree of concern. And I get up at 4am every morning to go to work until 3pm(don't ask lol). I'm beat lol.

I'm mostly concerned for Flacco's knee. If we could stay healthy I could easily see us as a playoff team. Pittsburgh has no defense, Cinci doesn't have an oline either(there's is actually worse than our right now somehow), and the Browns are the Browns. I still have us with a winning record at the end of the day but I'm mostly infuriated because the FO doesn't seem to understand that acquisitions need to be made. Hurst is most certainly not a starter, and Lewis should not be at guard. Truth be told, if we rolled out a oline of Stanley-Siragusa-Jensen-Yanda-Lewis. I'd be more than happy with it even if I thought that we still needed to address it in the following offseason. In fact, I hope that it works out because then we really go into next season with one major need(running back).

If you've paid attention. I think we have three good WRs in Perriman, Maclin, and Wallace with good potential at TEs. But I'm of the view that you don't need a stud RB if you have a good oline. Which is where I become worried again. Even with a run game guru like Roman here, you have to have good personnel to make it work. It frustrates me that we've done NOTHING/haven't learned from mistakes.

But I'm very worried about the line. The defense I have little to no concerns(at least Ozzie drafted good defensive players while ignoring the offense). Skill positions could be better, but we're not screwed. Defensive line we should be good.

I got abused back on the old boards for saying Urschel is being half assed, too bad he didnt go play professor back before the draft, then we could have brought in other players. This is why love for the game must be fucking paramount.

We needed to trade with Philly months ago, they have 5 starting quality players vying for three interior spots, even average players would be a massive upgrade.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I got abused back on the old boards for saying Urschel is being half assed, too bad he didnt go play professor back before the draft, then we could have brought in other players. This is why love for the game must be fucking paramount.

I agree with everything u said. However it is more than love for the game. Urschel loved football and loved to compete physically as much as he did with his mind. However he valued his health. He didn't like the clashing of heads at the snap. And he didn't like carrying 320lbs around. Cuz well it is unhealthy to carry that much weight for several reasons. He was a little shy of 300 lbs last season

Urschel could of been a pro bowl caliber center. You take the 320 lb player that terrorized the patriot defensive line as a rookie and he looked to be a total round5 steal. However carrying around 320lbs is not healthy. So he leaned out to about 305. Then again to below 300lbs. And He played with adequate strength and didn't really get pushed around much at all for such a lean offensive lineman. Which shows what he could play like with his filled out frame he fronted as a rookie. Then he leaned out to about 285lbs and maybe even less now. Cuz He wanted to be at a healthier weight. Which is what he showed up to camp at. Crazy thing is he could of probably played at an average level although undersized. Cuz he was ok last year although he was well below 300lbs. Again which fronts how good he could be if he was committed to it. One of my favorite ravens and I respect his decision. Although wow, he coulda been great!!

Last edited:

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Sad to see Urschel retired. Loved his character. Seemed like a great locker room presence. I wish him the best.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd like us to go into the season with 9 OL but at the moment it's hard to see how 9 make it:
Stanley, Lewis, Jensen, Yanda, Hurst, Siragusa, Eluemunor, Skura (probably guaranteed now that urschel has retired) and who else?

There's a severe lack of tackles but neither nembot or Wesley have proved worthy of a 53 man roster spot at all. I think there has to be an OL signing soon but I'm not sure it's a centre like some on here want. I'd be surprised at this point if we don't pick up any tackle help at all before week 1.