• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
You're huffing and puffing. I can say with absolute confidence that KO was far better than alex lewis even in his rookie year. I can say with confidence that yanda was better than he is now, I can say with confidence that Oher was better than James hurst, I can say with confidence that matt birk was far superior to skura.

Also, Stanley of course is going to say ''I'm fine''.. The wrath of John Harbaugh would stop anyone from disclosing that they are hurt.

Yes, if what we have is what we have then we'd be best served to have hurst at LG where he might just about be average and put brown jr at RT. Ideally we could pull off a trade by week 5 at C or LG for a clear upgrade.

If you think KO was better than Lewis in his rookie year than you are wearing rose colored glasses because he was basically one step above James Hurst his rookie year; he was awful. There really is no way to say anything good about KOs rookie year and there is a reason why the coaching staff was seen as crazy for saying they thought they had a great talent in KO, whereas Lewis actually had a decent rookie year, not spectacular and certainly filled with some mistakes but nowhere near the disaster that KO's was.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Per Filmstudy on Alex Lewis:

Alex had a sharp divide between his run and pass blocking results. Despite the fact the Ravens ran the ball only 22 times, he made all 6 of his pulls and all 8 of his blocks in level 2. Unfortunately, he was not nearly as effective as a pass blocker. He surrendered pressures on consecutive plays to bull rushes by Billings (beginning Q4, 14:15). Atkins rag-dolled him to beat him inside for a QH (2/3 charge, Q2, 0:36). He received 1/3 of the charge for Atkins’ second sack (Q1, 4:49). On that play, he was to receive Geno as a stunt handoff from Skura, but Atkins had already penetrated too far for that to be easily negotiated. Lewis had 4 highlights, which is excellent for 1 game. The best of those was a pull where he initially blocked DE Jordan Willis, then moved to level 2 and pancaked Hubbard at the whistle (Q3, 7:51).

Scoring: 79 plays, 68 blocks, 4 missed, 3.5 (2 + 3 X ½) pressures, 2/3 QH, 1/3 sack, 57 points (.72 per play). After a .08 adjustment for opponent quality and the highlight blocks, that’s a C at guard.

It seemed to me as you guys were being more harsh on Lewis than he deserved and this justifies my thoughts. "Hes a terrible run blocker" and "he was by far the worst OL vs the Bengals" are both wrong. Hes still getting up to game speed and even with that Lewis had a better game than both Stanley and Skura, Skura was absolutely horrible. Hurst actually didn't play as bad as everyone seems to think.

We absolutely need to go Stanley - Hurst - Lewis - Yanda - Brown. Although Stanley appears to be hurt (he said he was fine but players cant talk about injuries, it was clear he was hurt vs the bengals)

The Greek

Veteran
hurst is not as bad as many say he is but guard is his best position. looking forward to seeing what changes have been made for the denver game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You're huffing and puffing. I can say with absolute confidence that KO was far better than alex lewis even in his rookie year. I can say with confidence that yanda was better than he is now, I can say with confidence that Oher was better than James hurst, I can say with confidence that matt birk was far superior to skura.

Also, Stanley of course is going to say ''I'm fine''.. The wrath of John Harbaugh would stop anyone from disclosing that they are hurt.

Yes, if what we have is what we have then we'd be best served to have hurst at LG where he might just about be average and put brown jr at RT. Ideally we could pull off a trade by week 5 at C or LG for a clear upgrade.
They played different positions.

KO was a holding magnet and a turnstile in pass pro with some solid run blocking at RT.

Lewis was a stonewall in pass pro who didn’t generate push in the run game at LG.

KO went to LG in the playoffs and then became the KO we all know and love, but even then he didn’t become a completely dominant guard until kubiak came.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Looks like we are brought in about six or seven o-lineman free agents for workouts. Looks like the coaching staff is not happy with how guys are performing.

Last edited:

Jones05

Practice Squad
Looks like we are brought in about six or seven o-lineman free agents for workouts. Looks like the coaching staff is not happy with how guys are performing.

I am not sure why they neglect the O'line every year. They know a hurried Flacco is a very sub par Flacco yet they let the studs walk every year. They invest in a defense that has let us down the last 2 years when it counted most. I am constantly stunned and cannot wait for the Ozzie era to be done and to have someone with some new eyes work their magic instead of Alabama and defense every single year. Here is a early boot for ya Oz, get to stepping.

Invest in a O'line, sheeesh !!

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
How we resigned Hurst.

John Harbaugh: I called the temp agency and I told them, I will pay you any amount, just give me James Hurst give him to me. I want him. I need him.
XS5LK.gif

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Oline looked much better today outside of that first drive.

Next week is the week to start Brown. We could use the nastiness in the rivalry and the Steelers defense sucks.

Remember, we played a really good run defense today and we were solid

Skura had his best game but I would call it an anomaly, his lack of power hurts us especially the run game. Lewis gave up a ton of pressure. Stanley had a bad start but bounced back. I'm still shocked at how well Hurst played.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Skura had his best game but I would call it an anomaly, his lack of power hurts us especially the run game. Lewis gave up a ton of pressure. Stanley had a bad start but bounced back. I'm still shocked at how well Hurst played.

skura has had 2 good games and one less good game - he's done better than both alex lewis so far and tbh hes done better than james hurst too - at the moment he's playing like the 3rd best starting OL on the team

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
skura has had 2 good games and one less good game - he's done better than both alex lewis so far and tbh hes done better than james hurst too - at the moment he's playing like the 3rd best starting OL on the team
He just simply hasn’t done better than hurst, sorry but that’s just bullshit. Hurst has played back to back good games and didn’t play bad week 1 either. Skura had one of the worst games ever last week and has not had 2 “good games” he had 2 serviceable games. Even if you think Skura has been good he absolutely hasn’t been better than hurst.