• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Goose is unproven and Lewis is sub standard at guard, the only proven loss is Yanda. Luckily we can replicate the loss of Lewis with bum ass Hurst or these other camp bodies we brought in.

Alex Lewis was a solid pass protector and was going into a system in which was an ideal fit for him. Like it or not there are players we're going to have to depend on to step up and Lewis was an ideal candidate to do that. Going into his 2nd year, you would have to imagine that he would make strides in his game. If I can recall, we relied on Wagner to start at RT for us even though we really needed one. No one knew Wagner would end up as good as he was and relying on him allowed us to pick Mosley which now has turned out great for us. This was coming off of what was our worst OL in years.

In terms of the backups, just how good does anyone anticipate them to be? You're never going to have All-Pro back up linemen. There's a reason why they're back ups, its the fact that they're just serviceable and their job is to not screw up most of the time. Teams don't expect them to be a Yanda or a KO, just don't mess things up, thats all they want from them.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Goose is unproven and Lewis is sub standard at guard, the only proven loss is Yanda. Luckily we can replicate the loss of Lewis with bum ass Hurst or these other camp bodies we brought in.

It amazes me we can call someone bad after less than half a season of work

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It amazes me we can call someone bad after less than half a season of work
Alex Lewis really was pretty substandard though. Excellent in pass pro, I'll give him that, but he had clear problems with footwork and leverage, and he can improve the footwork but idk if he can ever become a powerful run blocking guard, he simply lacks that center of gravity that you need, and that can't be taught

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So I was watching to Kevin byrne's video thing (coz I was bored) and he normally says boring things which didn't change here either - but he did specifically say that 2 players were being groomed to replace Yanda (without saying who) and I wonder if he's accidentally let slip that bergstrom might not be the starter
I could absolutely see eluemenor get the nod to start at RG before seasons end, I think he's further along than many think. His power and athleticism are undeniable, he had trouble showing his power consistently, but I chalk it up to technique, if he learns to consistently keep that butt low and stay latched and keep the feet churning then he is gonna be trouble.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could absolutely see eluemenor get the nod to start at RG before seasons end, I think he's further along than many think. His power and athleticism are undeniable, he had trouble showing his power consistently, but I chalk it up to technique, if he learns to consistently keep that butt low and stay latched and keep the feet churning then he is gonna be trouble.
I absolutely agree and feel he will be starting by year end. I certainly hope it's not another injury that forces him into the mix.

Alex Lewis really was pretty substandard though. Excellent in pass pro, I'll give him that, but he had clear problems with footwork and leverage, and he can improve the footwork but idk if he can ever become a powerful run blocking guard, he simply lacks that center of gravity that you need, and that can't be taught

Agree on all points, I thought he had the look of a mauler for the huskers but it was probably more attitude. To be fair he could develop more size and power but he'll never be KO at LG.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Any team with a solid defensive front is going to be scary. We've relied on running the ball and have been truly disciplined about doing so. Now that our O line has taken this massive hit, it will be that much harder to remain committed and we see what this team looks like when they can't run the ball (it isn't pretty).

Some are trying to console themselves on how the line look last week with Yanda out. That's not a test. The second half of the game against a defense that had been thrown on the field all day because their offense couldn't stop coughing up the ball isn't a benchmark for how this unit is going to fare from the opening snaps against a strong front.

If we hold up this week, I'll be somewhat surprised and encouraged. If we get eaten up, that's going to bode very badly for our season. Anything short of a win tomorrow and this team will be hard pressed to be a true playoff contender. There are just too many good teams in the AFC to expect we'll be among them if we can't run the ball and can't beat a Jax team at a neutral site.
Agree with a lot of what you are saying here but the season hardly hinges on tomorrow's game. This team, especially the offense and definitely the O line, is still very much a work in progress . I think they could shit the bed(which probably won't happen) and still have a good chance at a solid season.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agree on all points, I thought he had the look of a mauler for the huskers but it was probably more attitude. To be fair he could develop more size and power but he'll never be KO at LG.
One thing I don't get, is people saying the power scheme is a better fit... I just don't know about that, dude doesn't generate the push you need. Mentally dude is solid as a rock, so if you're dialing up combo blocks and shit for him, he is gonna nail those assignments, him and Jensen comboed with Stanley to his left could work sparingly, but I wouldn't wanna see us running up his ass ever, he isn't built for it

The Raven

Veteran

Alex Boone, at 6'8, doesn't have a low center of gravity but what was of the league's best run blockers for several years. Evan Mathis, at 6'5, doesn't have a low center of gravity. What I'd like Lewis to do is pull an Evan Mathis: reinvent yourself as a player and get faster. If Lewis had a better first step and more drive, he could absolutely be a mauler. Flexibility and a good first step are really crucial parts of being a mauler -- it's what's made Yanda so good. He's 6'3 and they say he's 320 but I dunno about that. But he owns guys with 30 pounds on him. Why? He's got the leverage. flexibility, and burst to get off the ball and crash the guy down.

One thing I don't get, is people saying the power scheme is a better fit... I just don't know about that, dude doesn't generate the push you need. Mentally dude is solid as a rock, so if you're dialing up combo blocks and shit for him, he is gonna nail those assignments, him and Jensen comboed with Stanley to his left could work sparingly, but I wouldn't wanna see us running up his ass ever, he isn't built for it

How isn't it a better fit? Did you watch Lewis try and reach block last year? It was pitiful. Gap is the only thing he'll be good at because he's just too tall and not agile enough.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I see that Bergstrom is inactive, so I wonder who is getting the start today? Elumanour is active but I would be a little surprised if he started.

Alex Boone, at 6'8, doesn't have a low center of gravity but what was of the league's best run blockers for several years. Evan Mathis, at 6'5, doesn't have a low center of gravity. What I'd like Lewis to do is pull an Evan Mathis: reinvent yourself as a player and get faster. If Lewis had a better first step and more drive, he could absolutely be a mauler. Flexibility and a good first step are really crucial parts of being a mauler -- it's what's made Yanda so good. He's 6'3 and they say he's 320 but I dunno about that. But he owns guys with 30 pounds on him. Why? He's got the leverage. flexibility, and burst to get off the ball and crash the guy down.

How isn't it a better fit? Did you watch Lewis try and reach block last year? It was pitiful. Gap is the only thing he'll be good at because he's just too tall and not agile enough.

Boone and Mathis are both tall but had elite traits, Boone has elite hand usage and wingspan and Mathis was an elite athlete who was out of shape. Lewis could still improve his hands going forward but hitting targets in space seems to be something you have or you dont, take our 300lb FB Ricard for example he seems to have a penchant for hitting his targets in space.