• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bucs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah and I think it’s fair to call out DeCosta. I don’t think it should have been a get a WR at any cost type of thing, but I think everyone and their mother knew hoping that the guys we have now plus like 7 UDFAs would yield something was a misfire. Glad Duvernay has stepped up to some extent but still not a game changing WR type of guy. Other than him and Bateman (although he’s in a rut), we have nothing useful. Can’t blame Roman for refusing to use useless pieces.

i think my biggest criticism of EDC would be not necessarily that we didnt go harder after anyone in the draft or free agency etc.

but that they cant possibly not have known that this was going to be an issue, they saw training camp and preseason and knew what the coaches thought/think of the players - there's no excuse to then sit and think that adding D-Rob is enough - i complacently bought in on Proche because they had to be confident/excited about him otherwise they'd have made a move... and that's where i would criticise because they've had ample time to know that this was a problem

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah this is exactly how I see it. Don't get me wrong, I've been complaining for days saying it's so sad to see how much 12 and 22 personnel we're running all the time, but what is he supposed to do? Like seriously. He has Andrews who's great but I think clearly hurt. Then he's got Duv who can't play X, but can be a WR3. And then he's got Bateman who's supposed to be a WR1, can be a WR1, but isn't currently playing like one. Beyond those three the others may not be in the league very soon.

I just hate that we had a transcendental QB on a rookie deal and squandered it all away

we got really unlucky that we lost 2 seasons where a large portion of our cap was on I/R which negates the competitive advantage of your QB being on a rookie deal

Simba

Staff Member
i think my biggest criticism of EDC would be not necessarily that we didnt go harder after anyone in the draft or free agency etc.

but that they cant possibly not have known that this was going to be an issue, they saw training camp and preseason and knew what the coaches thought/think of the players - there's no excuse to then sit and think that adding D-Rob is enough - i complacently bought in on Proche because they had to be confident/excited about him otherwise they'd have made a move... and that's where i would criticise because they've had ample time to know that this was a problem
Yep this makes sense too. We had virtually all of the "top" guys missing practices and had plenty of time to evaluate all of the others, and the fact that we still couldn't see the issues is concerning. Even as one that was for the DRob signing (it has definitely backfired), he wasn't enough to make a major impact. To me, he was always a depth piece at most.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Yep this makes sense too. We had virtually all of the "top" guys missing practices and had plenty of time to evaluate all of the others, and the fact that we still couldn't see the issues is concerning. Even as one that was for the DRob signing (it has definitely backfired), he wasn't enough to make a major impact. To me, he was always a depth piece at most.
I don't think DRob is in the league next year tbh

rossihunter2

Staff Member

D-Rob move being the only move they made doesnt make sense with the benefit of hindsight (i.e. knowing what they must have known then) - he's the type of guy you add to a roster with 3 WRs ahead of him when you know you're going to be running a lot of 11 personnel where you can sub him in rotationally as a reliable guy with the ability to take the top off

but not a guy you bring in to fix a deficit in your corps - he's a supplementary/complementary addition

Simba

Staff Member
D-Rob move being the only move they made doesnt make sense with the benefit of hindsight (i.e. knowing what they must have known then) - he's the type of guy you add to a roster with 3 WRs ahead of him when you know you're going to be running a lot of 11 personnel where you can sub him in rotationally as a reliable guy with the ability to take the top off

but not a guy you bring in to fix a deficit in your corps - he's a supplementary/complementary addition
Yep. Liked him as an option assuming Duvernay and Proche were going to be getting the bulk of the WR2/3 reps but Robinson immediately coming in and doing that role was a warning sign.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Exactly!!!!!!! This hurts to read

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
When you look at The Bengals game, The Giants games, and maybe even last game against The Browns you can see the plays that was missed that would have made DRop, Ty Wallace, James Proche(maybe cause his snap count hasn't been that high) and even Devin Duvernay better. Not saying these guys are elite receivers or anything but they aren't really given alot of looks and LJ simply missing them doesn't help either.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep. Liked him as an option assuming Duvernay and Proche were going to be getting the bulk of the WR2/3 reps but Robinson immediately coming in and doing that role was a warning sign.

yep the assumption that both duv and proche would be involved made the move seem decent at the time
but we didnt know that proche wasnt going to be a factor

but EDC and Harbs don't get that excuse lol

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Helping my oldest son build a fence tomorrow, so dual purpose use of leave. lol
But yeah, losing this one would hurt. I'm pretty confident we'll win.
To be honest, it seems like things are ominously building up to be the perfect "trap" game for the Ravens:

a. They are talking about Brady's woes.
b. They are talking about how this would be Brady's 3rd loss in a row in 20 years.
c. They are talking about how Tom doesn't have any major weapons.
d. They are talking about how the Bucs have a few key people out of this game.
e. They are talking about how this is a must-win game for the Bucs.
f. They are talking about how the Bucs secondary is being banged up and that plays into the Ravens rushing attack.
g. They are calling it a "get right" game for the Ravens.
h. They are saying that the Ravens are not the favorites tonight.
i. They are saying that this is a character check for the Ravens because the Ravens do things well, "Until, certain points in the game."

All of that smells like a "trap" being set for the Ravens to lay a hot stinky egg tonight. I sure hope not!

GO RAVENS!

Last edited:

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Who would you guys start tonight in a half PPR flex between Gus and Bateman?

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder why line went from -1 ravens to -2 bucs..
Two things I can think of:
1. Andrews not practicing all week and being listed as questionable. Not sure that really moves the line much, but could be 0.5-1 point potentially.
2. Fairly certain a lot of sharps bet on Tampa when they were dogs, which moved the money. Typically requires a QB injury or major pro/sharp betting to move the line.

JAAM

Hall of Famer