• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Definitely not a Darious Williams thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You would want to build your core with elite players not average or depth players imo. Just about every great defense has had elite core players specialfally elite CBs and elite pass rushers like Suggs and Jimmy. Really hard to have a great defense in today’s NFL without elite players at those positions.

Buillding a core with a run stuffing DT, an ILB, and with a corner who was solid his rookie season like most people have suggested just won’t do the job.
hell yea man i agree. As of right now, our core aint shit tbh. Good thing is though we have maybe like another year or 2 to get it right or for some talent on our roster to show up

redrum52

Hall of Famer
hell yea man i agree. As of right now, our core aint shit tbh. Good thing is though we have maybe like another year or 2 to get it right or for some talent on our roster to show up

The "core" ain't that bad, currently. Just look back 3 years ago to see the turnover on rosters. There will be changes obviously. Draft, FA and possible trades. There's also this little aspect that we're finally going to have some real damn cap space to play with as well at the expense of older guys retiring/cut.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe he’s starting caliber, but not Suggs Caliber. Young can start on the outside and has proved it, but is better suited to the slot.
I think he will be but replacing Suggs is a tall order.
I mean he looks like he'll be playing a starter spot on one side but Suggs cannot be replaced.
I in no way meant Judon is as good as Suggs. I should've made myself more clear.

What I meant was that Judon is good enough to anchor one of the OLB spots for the foreseeable future.

Simply put, when Suggs is gone we will only need to fill one OLB spot. Whether you want to say Judon is replacing him or filling in the other spot doesn't really matter.

That's like saying I don't think CJ could replace Ray because he's not as good as Ray was. Just because someone isn't as good as the last player doesn't mean they can't fill the role. Obviously we won't find anyone to match Sizzle. That's my thought process at least.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Judon played some nice ass zone cvg last season which surprised the fk outta me so yea i understand exactly what you mean but i dnt think others here do lol.
Thanks lol. I guess people took it as me saying Judon is the next Suggs. I just meant he's good enough to be a starter when Suggs is gone lol

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair if that’s the way you describe taking over the role then the ravens have never got an adequate replacement (and never will have) at left tackle, middle linebacker, free safety, edge, defensive tackle, right guard, running back too

I’m of course being facetious but the point wasn’t really that Judon would be the same as Suggs but that he would take his spot on the defence and do a good enough job of it which I don’t think is ridiculous to say...
Ding ding ding! We have a winner

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't care for PFFs finals grades as much but I do like stats they release and some are undeniable. Passer rating against, yards allowed per snap etc.
PFFs grades aren’t good, but the premium statistics are very reliable.

The "core" ain't that bad, currently. Just look back 3 years ago to see the turnover on rosters. There will be changes obviously. Draft, FA and possible trades. There's also this little aspect that we're finally going to have some real damn cap space to play with as well at the expense of older guys retiring/cut.
We have big time needs on defense in the coming years with our elite core players aging/retiring or being cut. Theres going to be a lot of pressure on the FO as it needs to draft well and spend smart in FA. It’s going to be nice to have cap space though.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We have big time needs on defense in the coming years with our elite core players aging/retiring or being cut. Theres going to be a lot of pressure on the FO as it needs to draft well and spend smart in FA. It’s going to be nice to have cap space though.
Our only elite player aging out is Sizzle. Williams, Henry, Judon, Mosley, Humphrey, Jimmy all have plenty of years.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
If he doesn’t play all 16 games at a high level this season, I can’t justify his salary cap going forward. Either he takes a pay cut or he’s going to get cut

Agreed, and given what happened this off-season with the CBs, we could potentially find a trading partner or trade market for him. I'm optimistic about our depth and ability to move on after this year IF needed.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
PFFs grades aren’t good, but the premium statistics are very reliable.
Strongly disagree. This is coming from someone who's sought after and leaned on their statistics for nearly a decade. The premium stats are generally helpful, but there is a significant potential for misses based on lack of context. One of these examples was evident in my article about Zach Orr's struggles despite having top-tier run stop amounts in the Pittsburgh example I broke down and for the season. Another prime example was one that I brought up this season. Through the first four weeks, Brandon Carr allowed the lowest passer rating in the entire league among all qualifiers. Was he the best corner in the NFL during that span? Absolutely not. Because there were multiple plays, i.e. the two overthrown long TDs to Cody Core and Martavis Bryant among others, that never counted in the stat sheet. That's because a near interception on a perfectly defended go-route is worth exactly the same as getting lost on a double move, falling down, and watching the WR drop the TD. Now with a large sample size, this does generally somewhat even out as these examples can be less likely than likely. That being said, it's happened before throughout entire seasons. During Connor Barwin's 14.5 sack season, he also had the 6th highest pass rush productivity. All in all, that sounds like an elite season. That's until you take into account the fact that 9 of his sacks came while being either unblocked or on cleanup plays, while 46% of his pressures came in such scenarios. I would again have to mention that this isn't an entirely common thread. The grades themselves on the other hand have their own issues at times. But I would caution against using either of the two as the sole barometer. Ideally, in my personal opinion, it should be a combination of the two including personal tape reviews. That said, if I had to trust one over the other, I don't know that I could confidently trust the stats over the grades.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Strongly disagree. This is coming from someone who's sought after and leaned on their statistics for nearly a decade. The premium stats are generally helpful, but there is a significant potential for misses based on lack of context. One of these examples was evident in my article about Zach Orr's struggles despite having top-tier run stop amounts in the Pittsburgh example I broke down and for the season. Another prime example was one that I brought up this season. Through the first four weeks, Brandon Carr allowed the lowest passer rating in the entire league among all qualifiers. Was he the best corner in the NFL during that span? Absolutely not. Because there were multiple plays, i.e. the two overthrown long TDs to Cody Core and Martavis Bryant among others, that never counted in the stat sheet. That's because a near interception on a perfectly defended go-route is worth exactly the same as getting lost on a double move, falling down, and watching the WR drop the TD. Now with a large sample size, this does generally somewhat even out as these examples can be less likely than likely. That being said, it's happened before throughout entire seasons. During Connor Barwin's 14.5 sack season, he also had the 6th highest pass rush productivity. All in all, that sounds like an elite season. That's until you take into account the fact that 9 of his sacks came while being either unblocked or on cleanup plays, while 46% of his pressures came in such scenarios. I would again have to mention that this isn't an entirely common thread. The grades themselves on the other hand have their own issues at times. But I would caution against using either of the two as the sole barometer. Ideally, in my personal opinion, it should be a combination of the two including personal tape reviews. That said, if I had to trust one over the other, I don't know that I could confidently trust the stats over the grades.
Very reliable was definitel6 the wrong word to use. More reliable than the grades is what I was getting at and I agree, you certainly can’t use it as the sole barometer.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Very reliable was definitel6 the wrong word to use. More reliable than the grades is what I was getting at and I agree, you certainly can’t use it as the sole barometer.
Depends on the positions in relation to reliability of either one. I don't see them as generally more reliable.

The biggest issue I have with them is their offensive line grades. Just say for example a LT is in a offense where the QB gets the ball out very quickly. You have another LT whose QB takes some time to throw the ball. Obviously the edge rusher has more time to beat the LT whose QB takes more time to throw. So this LT is more likely to get beat and surrender a sack, hit, hurry. Maybe they need to be more specific on how much time each offensive lineman was asked to block for.