• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

I just watched a lot of plays from our playoff L and man... if we can just let lamar make plays with feet( not talking about that qb option shit), we may have something. From what i saw and remembered, our wrs couldnt really get open ,yet he still was able make a play. Even with 12 dbs on the field he was making plays. Its like once we started letting him do him..thats when we started to make a come back. If his trash ass can just get a little more accurate and stop throwing ball all soft and shit, we should be able to work with him.

the fact that he is able to move around in the pocket the way he does is why i think we didnt foucs much on olinemen.. thats pretty similar to how hawks did things with russ wilson. Im guessing our iOL is pretty decent at run blocking since we barley get tackled for losses? anyway, our whole season really depends on lamar development and our offensive scheme..
I just think the chargers out schemed Marty. They played with 12 DBs and moved Melvin Ingram inside. He was lined up against Hurst and when Hurst got hurt Bozeman came in to play LG. I can’t blame Lamar because of the amount of pressure he was under because of awful play at LG. Melvin Ingram was in the back field just about every play. Chargers tried to run the same scheme against the Pats the following week and got destroyed in the run game. I think Marty didn’t adjust like the Pats are known to do

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I just think the chargers out schemed Marty. They played with 12 DBs and moved Melvin Ingram inside. He was lined up against Hurst and when Hurst got hurt Bozeman came in to play LG. I can’t blame Lamar because of the amount of pressure he was under because of awful play at LG. Melvin Ingram was in the back field just about every play. Chargers tried to run the same scheme against the Pats the following week and got destroyed in the run game. I think Marty didn’t adjust like the Pats are known to do
Yeah. Lamar played a bad game and made some terrible reads.... but youngest rookie ever to start a playoff game. Let’s see how he grows from this.

But our game plan for the second time against the Chargers was identical to our first time just two weeks earlier. Marty made a couple of decent situational calls, but when you account for no changing of any game plan, you put every QB in a position to fail. Especially a rookie who is as raw as Jackson.

James hurst damn near singlehandedly tanked that game though. Bozeman came in and was better, but not amazingly better.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah. Lamar played a bad game and made some terrible reads.... but youngest rookie ever to start a playoff game. Let’s see how he grows from this.

But our game plan for the second time against the Chargers was identical to our first time just two weeks earlier. Marty made a couple of decent situational calls, but when you account for no changing of any game plan, you put every QB in a position to fail. Especially a rookie who is as raw as Jackson.

James hurst damn near singlehandedly tanked that game though. Bozeman came in and was better, but not amazingly better.
They needed to be able to run up the middle, it’s such an easy counter, 6DBs in the box and no LBs, lead dives and power through. Don’t even call read options because they were sniffed out, under center with a FB lead dives with Gus Edwards and Kenneth Dixon, it should’ve worked for a strong 4+ YPC, but sadly it probably wouldn’t have because skura and particularly hurst were THAT bad.

But then... why were we not running power up the B gap on the right side? TE lined up left, FB right, pull the TE to the weak side to seal off the crash defender, FB lead to clear out the DB playing LB in the gap, you’re running a power lead between marshal yanda and Orlando brown, something tells me that could've worked, but it was just continuous read options and quick release passes.

With the passing I think what it boils down to is the handcuffing. I think lamar had it in his head that the only way to succeed in the nfl is to drop back in rhythm and release with timing, he didn’t want to try to make plays with his legs, he was trying too hard to be a pocket passer. I think in the fourth quarter harbaugh told lamar to just go make some plays no matter what it takes and that’s what he did. I think Lamar’s fourth quarter performance is a lot more indicative of who he is as a qb than the first 3, his brain was rattled in that game and I think he and the coaches both learned a lot in those 3 quarters

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Found the pefect picture to why i think his accuracy is messed up

Attachments

• 71BABCFB-5424-4534-857C-193C92425E1A.jpeg
    71BABCFB-5424-4534-857C-193C92425E1A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Found the pefect picture to why i think his accuracy is messed up
I only heard a blurb of this but his QB coach, Joshua harris was interviewed this morning on Baltimore radio (105.7) I get lousy reception but when the host asked him about his grip, I'm pretty sure he responded by saying...."Thats his grip....Thats how he holds it and we didn't address/change it.."

All the talk is about Lamar's need to improve accuracy. That may be true, but if that's issue #1, a very close second IMO is ball security. He put the ball on the ground a lot ... and not just with poor exchanges, and not just from him free-lancing ... sometimes it was just letting the ball hang out there when he went back to throw.

Turnovers in this league kill. They are so often the determining factor. Teams that win the turnover battle often win the game.

That has to be cleaned up - and I think that should be even more fixable than his accuracy.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
All the talk is about Lamar's need to improve accuracy. That may be true, but if that's issue #1, a very close second IMO is ball security. He put the ball on the ground a lot ... and not just with poor exchanges, and not just from him free-lancing ... sometimes it was just letting the ball hang out there when he went back to throw.

Turnovers in this league kill. They are so often the determining factor. Teams that win the turnover battle often win the game.

That has to be cleaned up - and I think that should be even more fixable than his accuracy.

Yeah, I can live with Lamar throwing some "wounded ducks" on occasion, but he needs to fix his ball security. I don't think we lost too many of those fumbles, but we got extremely lucky. Lamar needs to be more aware of where he's holding the ball when he has defenders around him and make sure that he protects it when going down. As for the exchanges, I think they'll get better with more reps, but I also think and hope that we'll see less RPOs, in general, this year because they need to let Lamar prove that he can throw the ball.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, I can live with Lamar throwing some "wounded ducks" on occasion, but he needs to fix his ball security. I don't think we lost too many of those fumbles, but we got extremely lucky. Lamar needs to be more aware of where he's holding the ball when he has defenders around him and make sure that he protects it when going down. As for the exchanges, I think they'll get better with more reps, but I also think and hope that we'll see less RPOs, in general, this year because they need to let Lamar prove that he can throw the ball.

While it’s an issue I think it’s also relevant to note that most of them happened at the mesh point and is significantly attributable to the lack of practice in that area - a part of the ravens offence that was rarely practiced and hardly utilised until Lamar even became the starter and certainly not with the 2 main participants in that drill when Lamar took over the offence...

So while it’s a worry I mostly give them a mulligan - if it continues then obviously it’s a problem but to me it seems like one that’s mostly caused by the in-season nature of the offensive change

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
While it’s an issue I think it’s also relevant to note that most of them happened at the mesh point and is significantly attributable to the lack of practice in that area - a part of the ravens offence that was rarely practiced and hardly utilised until Lamar even became the starter and certainly not with the 2 main participants in that drill when Lamar took over the offence...

So while it’s a worry I mostly give them a mulligan - if it continues then obviously it’s a problem but to me it seems like one that’s mostly caused by the in-season nature of the offensive change
And it seemed to be gus doing it the most I would definitely say, I think gus lacks patience, while the downhill running style worked he was trying to get full speed at the mesh point while lamar was pulling back. The qb makes that read, not the rb.

Now the fumbles in Atlanta and vs LA were unacceptable, he was just out of control in the pocket and smacking the ball against himself

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

The fumbles by Justin Houston and nwosu were unavoidable, he wasn’t hanging the ball out too long, he just got bumrushed instantly, both times it was a free rush when lamar was trying to wind up. I put the chiefs fumble on Stanley because the cardinal rule is to block inside out, and Stanley took the blitzer instead of the premiere edge rusher and gave him a straight line to lamar. Against LA nwosu just blew right by Zeus untouched.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The fumbles by Justin Houston and nwosu were unavoidable, he wasn’t hanging the ball out too long, he just got bumrushed instantly, both times it was a free rush when lamar was trying to wind up. I put the chiefs fumble on Stanley because the cardinal rule is to block inside out, and Stanley took the blitzer instead of the premiere edge rusher and gave him a straight line to lamar. Against LA nwosu just blew right by Zeus untouched.

A guy who we could watch have a poor grip of the ball and who hangs it out too far just happening to have fumbles that were not his fault strains credibility.

Fumbles happen but he broke a record for fumbling. QBs get hit, but they don't fumble it everytime because they hold the ball well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A guy who we could watch have a poor grip of the ball and who hangs it out too far just happening to have fumbles that were not his fault strains credibility.

Fumbles happen but he broke a record for fumbling. QBs get hit, but they don't fumble it everytime because they hold the ball well.
If holding the ball too long and unsecured is the only thing to blame a fumble on, then Joe Flacco was absolute garbage because he had a whole shitton of strip sacks that came as a result of his negligence. Lamar had 2 legitimate strip sacks and both were uncontested rushes, he had a fumbling problem, you won’t hear me say he doesn’t, but the numbers are misleading because a majority of those fumbles came at the mesh point and nearly all from the same RB who was a very raw UDFA rookie. The fumbles I really kick his ass for are the ones where he just dropped them on scrambles because he was too reckless, his 2 major strip sacks were uncontested rushes though, and it’s fair to cut a rookie some slack on those.

Yes, he’s gotta hold the ball better on every single snap and stop fumbling, but a lot of those fumbles can be largely attributed to other players

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
If holding the ball too long and unsecured is the only thing to blame a fumble on, then Joe Flacco was absolute garbage because he had a whole shitton of strip sacks that came as a result of his negligence. Lamar had 2 legitimate strip sacks and both were uncontested rushes, he had a fumbling problem, you won’t hear me say he doesn’t, but the numbers are misleading because a majority of those fumbles came at the mesh point and nearly all from the same RB who was a very raw UDFA rookie. The fumbles I really kick his ass for are the ones where he just dropped them on scrambles because he was too reckless, his 2 major strip sacks were uncontested rushes though, and it’s fair to cut a rookie some slack on those.

Yes, he’s gotta hold the ball better on every single snap and stop fumbling, but a lot of those fumbles can be largely attributed to other players

Its not that he holds the ball, its how he holds it and where he holds it.

Are we really going with the fact that despite us being able to see he is not gripping the ball well and not tucking it in well and that in theory that will lead to more fumbles...and then we look at the results and he fumbled like crazy at a record pace, but despite a pretty clear correlation you want to suggest coincidence?

Other QBs get sacked, sometimes a lot. I've seen Rodgers hold the ball way to long and get rocked, but he holds onto the ball way more.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Are we really going with the fact that despite us being able to see he is not gripping the ball well and not tucking it in well and that in theory that will lead to more fumbles...and then we look at the results and he fumbled like crazy at a record pace, but despite a pretty clear correlation you want to suggest coincidence?

Other QBs get sacked, sometimes a lot. I've seen Rodgers hold the ball way to long and get rocked, but he holds onto the ball way more.
And what I’m saying is that the fumbles that came as a result of sacks were free uncontested rushes, and there weren’t many of them.

You keep mentioning fumbling at a record pace as if a large majority of his fumbles didn’t come at the mesh point. Is he one handing the ball at the tip on handoffs? Does that even matter? Let’s cut out all the fumbles that came at the mesh point, and then address it, did he fumble at a record pace in the pocket? No. He had 2 at Atlanta, one in KC, 2 in the WC game, iirc. That’s 5 if memory serves, 2 of them being uncontested rushes where the sack came mid release point which is a strip almost every time(no qb has the ball tucked mid release and a free rush=hard hit, the ball gets jarred loose, even Rodgers, just because he might get rocked with the ball tucked doesn’t mean he won’t fumble if he’s rocked mid release) so that leaves 3 that came as a result of being wild and careless in the pocket with no sense of ball security.

You can’t just throw numbers out there with no context, cmon. Fumbling at a record pace means a lot less when most of those fumbles came from the RB trying to snag the ball when the qb is making the read. Don’t act like he fumbled at a record pace by just one handing the ball in the pocket and getting stripped repeatedly.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is also a good decision maker too. Two of his three regular season INTs were on 50/50 balls against Oakland and his first INT against Cincy was just him trying to do a bit too much after breaking some dude's ankles. He'll be fine.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Not a popular opinion but in mine absolutely true. Rodgers is a stats guy. He'll hold on to the ball and take a sack if necessary but will seldom throw it away just so his completion rate remains high. He'll run out of bounds but won't throw the ball away.