• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know when I say this literally everyone is going to freak out and make some generalized passive aggressive comment about Lamar haters. I AM NOT A LAMAR HATER. I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH. However, I made a similar comment about a year ago stating the way he is throwing the ball in OTAs looks horrible. The ball is only a tight spiral in like 50% of the clips they show. I'm also operating under the assumption they cherry pick what to put in. I said, I understand changing mechanics is going to be rough at first. But I said a year on the bench plus a break on his own plus training camp should fix it. The fact that he got extensive playing time and was throwing with a trainer this whole off-season and his passes still look like garbage when there's no one pressuring him makes me so concerned. I should give him more time but I have a bad feeling he's like 90% maxed out. I want the best for him and will support him all the way. Just don't have a great feeling
different qbs release the ball differently, its really unfortunate but thats just how lamar throws. peyton had a bit of wobble quite often too, not that lamar is ever gonna be in the same universe as peyton, but its not the most damning thing in the world.

my concerns with him for year 2 have always been: can he fix the ball security, and can his release stance become more consistent

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I know when I say this literally everyone is going to freak out and make some generalized passive aggressive comment about Lamar haters. I AM NOT A LAMAR HATER. I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH. However, I made a similar comment about a year ago stating the way he is throwing the ball in OTAs looks horrible. The ball is only a tight spiral in like 50% of the clips they show. I'm also operating under the assumption they cherry pick what to put in. I said, I understand changing mechanics is going to be rough at first. But I said a year on the bench plus a break on his own plus training camp should fix it. The fact that he got extensive playing time and was throwing with a trainer this whole off-season and his passes still look like garbage when there's no one pressuring him makes me so concerned. I should give him more time but I have a bad feeling he's like 90% maxed out. I want the best for him and will support him all the way. Just don't have a great feeling

Nothing wrong with judging what you see. I'm not the biggest fan of how his passes look either. Some look great and then we have ones like he threw in the playoffs. I think it was the td pass to Crabtree that looked like a dead duck with down syndrome. Worries me too. I think he should change how he holds the ball. Think it would help with fumbling and spirals but it it what it is at this point. Have to see if the work pays off this season.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I feel the same way. If his passes are still inaccurate af this season, its probably over for him. Good thing is he actually working hard at this shit.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im gonna say this... accuracy comes naturally.. if its not a mechanics issue or anything, no matter how many reps you get in you will not be as accurate by nfl standards.

Reactions: cdp

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The thing is he can throw nicely!! I've seen a few of them in those clips and they look absolutely beautiful. It's just that it's only like half of them look like that. I just don't understand why he can't throw a normal ball in practice. I really have some understanding why that may not always be possible in a game, but why in practice is throwing up wounded ducks???

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know if we'll ever see Lamar throw a tight spiral consistently, but as long as he's getting the ball to where it needs to be then that's all that matters. I'd be more interested to hear if any of his passes hit the ground before getting to the receivers since that was an issue, at times, last year. Also, I hope he's been working on his ball skills because he fumbled way too much in his games and we can't have that going forward.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar Jackson: “the first (OTA) I sucked. The second day I did better. Today was alright, could’ve been better.”

that might explain some of the bad looking balls in the first reels we've seen (pretty sure they're all from the first day of OTAs) - not that im saying hes fixed or anything - just that those first clips looked really bad and that might have been why

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar's self-assessment of his mechanical improvements are all interesting - lots of the same stuff that we've all noticed - including he specifically mentioned how he holds the football with regards to the tight spiral stuff and how he needs to adjust that (interesting note - joshua harris his offseason coach talked about that in an interview and basically said they havent tried changing that a lot yet because they want to work through his mechanics and his habits gradually to build them rather than trying to change everything all at once which makes a lot of sense)

for what its worth also lamar said his head was all over the place with the new offensive system and playbook on the first day or so - i wonder if that's early on going to affect his mechanics

here's zrebiec's brief note on lamar at OTAs...
"Some practice observations: Lamar Jackson looked sharp early. Looked to be more velocity on throws. Accuracy was solid. Thought he struggled a bit in second half of practice."

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The thing is he can throw nicely!! I've seen a few of them in those clips and they look absolutely beautiful. It's just that it's only like half of them look like that. I just don't understand why he can't throw a normal ball in practice. I really have some understanding why that may not always be possible in a game, but why in practice is throwing up wounded ducks???
Dam i havrnt even seen the ones at practice

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was weird hearing my QB self deprecate and say he sucked at one point and that he was having trouble with the new system. I was yelling at my phone to shut up, lol. Too many sound bites to be taken out of context...… oh well. Go gettum, 8!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was weird hearing my QB self deprecate and say he sucked at one point and that he was having trouble with the new system. I was yelling at my phone to shut up, lol. Too many sound bites to be taken out of context...… oh well. Go gettum, 8!
Well the opposite stance from Flacco didn't save him from being royally lambasted by the national press either. Remember when he proclaimed he was the bst QB in the league and how that was taken out of context?

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well the opposite stance from Flacco didn't save him from being royally lambasted by the national press either. Remember when he proclaimed he was the bst QB in the league and how that was taken out of context?

Yeah. I think he said he considered himself elite at an interview. He went on to say something to the effect of all QB's should think of themselves that way but that part of the soundbite was never played.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah. I think he said he considered himself elite at an interview. He went on to say something to the effect of all QB's should think of themselves that way but that part of the soundbite was never played.
Joe 99,9% of the time was as humble as anyone could be, always spoke about what HE could improve upon, never about his sucky supporting cast. And the reporter led him right into the whole “elite” thing. He was asked he if thought of himself as elite, and replied something to the effect of course I do, you have to be confident in yourself to be successful.

Sounds like Lamar is following suit. Early on he talked about leading the team to SBs and such, but since has displayed humility and has described what he needs to improve upon. Confident, but humble. Gotta like those quality in the young man. Now if he can just learn how to throw a football we may have something here! lol

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar's humility and self deprecation are actually great qualities as a 22 yr old! We already know he's confident and very hard working. In his first off season the kid joined up with receivers for throwing sessions! We've also heard how hard he works in the gym and in meetings. He wants to improve and the only way one improves surely is a) recognition of a problem (check) and b) executing a solution through hard work (check)!

Not to mention his ability to read defenses well and go through his progressions rapidly. These qualities are well documented including by Harbs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar's humility and self deprecation are actually great qualities as a 22 yr old! We already know he's confident and very hard working. In his first off season the kid joined up with receivers for throwing sessions! We've also heard how hard he works in the gym and in meetings. He wants to improve and the only way one improves surely is a) recognition of a problem (check) and b) executing a solution through hard work (check)!

Not to mention his ability to read defenses well and go through his progressions rapidly. These qualities are well documented including by Harbs.

He also looks more muscular than he did last year already - and I dig the new hair too