• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wasn't taking issue with you on that, (or anything). Just bringing up how essential I believe it is for us to field a dominant line.
I just wanted to make sure you knew I was comparing apples to apples. Didn't think you were taking issue with me on it. Yes we need a very good OL.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe he has improved his mechanics but as he has had bad mechanics for years and has really only focused on them for months its VERY important that he has a clean pocket.

If he gets pressured he will naturally do what he is used to which is poor form. If the pocket can be kept clean and good form can be a habit, he could be something special.

Basically I don't care if they have the heart of a Lion, the blood of a Tiger, and the determination of a wild Bear (oh my), James Hurst and Alex Lewis need to sit on that bench and keep it warm for the real football players

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe he has improved his mechanics but as he has had bad mechanics for years and has really only focused on them for months its VERY important that he has a clean pocket.

If he gets pressured he will naturally do what he is usef to which is poor form. If the pocket can be kept clean and good form can be a habit, he could be something special.

Basically I don't care if they have the heart of a Lion, the blood of a Tiger, and the determination of a wild Bear (oh my), James Hurst and Alex Lewis need to sit on that bench and keep it warm for the real football players
We absolutely need some studs at Center and LG for Lamar to succeed.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 3m3 minutes ago
Lamar Jackson said his accuracy issues are result of mechanics breaking down at times and focusing on trying to get the ball out. Worked on mechanics and consistency this offseason.

Really awesome to see him taking this issue on. Also saw he was pointing out some of his footwork and stance issues. He's going to take a huge step forward if he can combine the poise/pocket feel he's shown at times already with some improved mechanics. Can't wait for the season to start.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Really awesome to see him taking this issue on. Also saw he was pointing out some of his footwork and stance issues. He's going to take a huge step forward if he can combine the poise/pocket feel he's shown at times already with some improved mechanics. Can't wait for the season to start.
Yeah the guy has the arm talent if he can figure out the mechanics. Big thing is going to be developing chemistry with his receivers and making sure he has a good line in front of him

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one thing I really like about Lamar is he is a hard worker. I never got that feel from Flacco. He is not as NFL ready as Flacco was when he entered the NFL but damn I love his potential upside.
I already like his pocket presence better than Flacco's and he does have a strong arm but probably not at Flacco's level.

I'm drinking the purple cool-aid on Lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think lamar will get better as a passer, he delivers a good ball when the mechanics are there fairly consistently, but there is a throw im worried about regardless of mechanics, and that’s the back shoulder fade, I think I saw 2 quality back shoulder fades all year from him and they both came in the same game, any other attempt he made looked way overthrown. It’s a throw that is very difficult, to pin the ball at 6’-6’5” directly above the sideline 20+ yards down the field is something that I find amazing for any human to do consistently, and it’s a throw that I just don’t feel confident with lamar making.

However, i believe he can hit skinny posts between the numbers and sideline fairly often, and the right WR can make those plays effective as hell, the main guys im thinking of are kelvin harmon and Antoine Wesley, marquise brown is probably the best at this concept but the injuries scare the shit outta me

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think lamar will get better as a passer, he delivers a good ball when the mechanics are there fairly consistently, but there is a throw im worried about regardless of mechanics, and that’s the back shoulder fade, I think I saw 2 quality back shoulder fades all year from him and they both came in the same game, any other attempt he made looked way overthrown. It’s a throw that is very difficult, to pin the ball at 6’-6’5” directly above the sideline 20+ yards down the field is something that I find amazing for any human to do consistently, and it’s a throw that I just don’t feel confident with lamar making.

However, i believe he can hit skinny posts between the numbers and sideline fairly often, and the right WR can make those plays effective as hell, the main guys im thinking of are kelvin harmon and Antoine Wesley, marquise brown is probably the best at this concept but the injuries scare the shit outta me

That’s partly why I’m excited that I know we brought Hollywood in for a visit because it means we’re interested enough that we want to be sure on the medicals

As to the back shoulders, I think it’s an important throw and yes Lamar has only a few really good examples (I can remember one to Crabtree that surprised me but the fact it surprised me is probably more telling than the throw itself) - but it is a really difficult throw because of the combination of eyes, arm strength and timing - and honestly joe wasn’t brilliant at it recently either so I’m not too worried about that specifically - the thing I want to see is more consistent ball velocity and timing on all types of outside routes (comebacks especially)

FYI I think I’m all in on Hollywood if he’s there at 22 especially now that I know we’ve checked his medicals (I.e. if we pick him I know we’re happy with them)

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one thing I really like about Lamar is he is a hard worker. I never got that feel from Flacco. He is not as NFL ready as Flacco was when he entered the NFL but damn I love his potential upside.
I already like his pocket presence better than Flacco's and he does have a strong arm but probably not at Flacco's level.

I'm drinking the purple cool-aid on Lamar.
Everything you said is right on the money in my opinion. I didn't get the feeling that Flacco was a really hard worker or even tried to be honest. He relied too much on his arm strength and didn't have good pocket awareness or ability to dissect defenses. Lamar while not nearly as good as Flacco's arm talent, is certainly far headier than him and much more hard working and willing to improve.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Everything you said is right on the money in my opinion. I didn't get the feeling that Flacco was a really hard worker or even tried to be honest. He relied too much on his arm strength and didn't have good pocket awareness or ability to dissect defenses. Lamar while not nearly as good as Flacco's arm talent, is certainly far headier than him and much more hard working and willing to improve.
What I wanna know is does lamar have the 10 ton brass balls Flacco carried around when the moment got big, that’s what made Flacco a big name

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
What I wanna know is does lamar have the 10 ton brass balls Flacco carried around when the moment got big, that’s what made Flacco a big name
Hopefully we will see if we make the playoffs. We have a pretty tough schedule.

A lot of Lamar haters already out there but if he fails it won't be because he's not putting in the work.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully we will see if we make the playoffs. We have a pretty tough schedule.

A lot of Lamar haters already out there but if he fails it won't be because he's not putting in the work.

As far as schedules I think its pretty good to be honest.

Hard to analyze Ravens because you don't know Lamar but AFC East is 3 wins, 2 NFCWest home games are wins, Cin is bad and split Pitt/Browns division and you are at 9.

Also I am more down on Houston this year. I think they were decidedly the 2nd best team in that division last year and Indy is better.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since 10 ton brass balls are too heavy to lug around, Lamar decided to have mouse balls that keeps him the fastest QB in the league! I hear you, but one post season lapse by Lamar is too small a sample size to worry about. Matt Ryan wasn't too successful to begin with either, but then got into the big game a little later. So in other words, balls are organic and can grow with experience unless of course you strap on brass ones like you did Flacco!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

If he gets pressured he will naturally do what he is used to which is poor form. If the pocket can be kept clean and good form can be a habit, he could be something special.

I totally agree. With a ton of pressure a QB tends to go back to his old habits. So for the next couple of years, a stout pass protecting O-line will work wonders for Lamar and his confidence to keep true to his new fundamentals of being a good passing QB.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s partly why I’m excited that I know we brought Hollywood in for a visit because it means we’re interested enough that we want to be sure on the medicals

As to the back shoulders, I think it’s an important throw and yes Lamar has only a few really good examples (I can remember one to Crabtree that surprised me but the fact it surprised me is probably more telling than the throw itself) - but it is a really difficult throw because of the combination of eyes, arm strength and timing - and honestly joe wasn’t brilliant at it recently either so I’m not too worried about that specifically - the thing I want to see is more consistent ball velocity and timing on all types of outside routes (comebacks especially)

FYI I think I’m all in on Hollywood if he’s there at 22 especially now that I know we’ve checked his medicals (I.e. if we pick him I know we’re happy with them)
Ive been watching a lot of the recievers again lately and im not sure any of them excite me as much as the potential of Brown. Especially considering the possibilities of pairing him up with Lamar.

Id be stoked if we managed to trade down and get him.

Like if we could walk away with Brown, Lindstrom, and Winovich id be ecstatic. And maybe another big possession reciever after like whiteside or Jazz Ferguson.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive been watching a lot of the recievers again lately and im not sure any of them excite me as much as the potential of Brown. Especially considering the possibilities of pairing him up with Lamar.

Id be stoked if we managed to trade down and get him.

Like if we could walk away with Brown, Lindstrom, and Winovich id be ecstatic. And maybe another big possession reciever after like whiteside or Jazz Ferguson.

honestly i think brown is one of the few players we'd have to take at 22 - to me without the injury he's long gone by 22 and if he makes it there and we as a team are happy with the medicals i think you have to take him there because he's a crazy level of playmaker to still be available at that point