• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Did anyone see that article by Mike Florio on Yahoo about Lamar Jackson? The comments are brutal! Lamar is getting no respect at all. I really hope he has a good year so he can prove all those doubters wrong.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Did anyone see that article by Mike Florio on Yahoo about Lamar Jackson? The comments are brutal! Lamar is getting no respect at all. I really hope he has a good year so he can prove all those doubters wrong.

His usage and last game have done him no favors. Even if he does prove them wrong, he'll still most likely be criticized just cause.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Whatever. Fuck the fact that he has room for improvement. Fuck the fact that he has seemingly shown a work ethic that should be applauded. At this rate, I don't bother with his doubters. Let his work speak for himself...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Whatever. Fuck the fact that he has room for improvement. Fuck the fact that he has seemingly shown a work ethic that should be applauded. At this rate, I don't bother with his doubters. Let his work speak for himself...
yeah, I don't pay attention to ignorant people. Especially ignorant media

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Nowadays people base all their opinions from what the media says.. media seems to care more about him being a “ running qb” than the fact that the only thing thats holding him back is his accuracy problem that he is currently working on

Reactions: cdp
we only ran about 5 rpos per game down the final stretch as most of our plays were counter gap and power concepts.

That being said, RPOs are still tough to defend, if the QB reads it properly. RPOs create a hole in the coverage which creates an easy throw. The QB can throw to the void or give the ball to the RB or keep it himself. These plays are here to stay and yes, some teams are better at defending them due to the speed they have on defense, but most teams, as you saw last year, aren't good at defending it.

When you say “down the final stretch” what do you mean exactly, because it seemed like we were running 5 per drive for most of the games Lamar played. Lol. Either way the RPO is a tool in the tool box when you have a QB like LJ, but not an offense that can be used exclusively at this level.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
When you say “down the final stretch” what do you mean exactly, because it seemed like we were running 5 per drive for most of the games Lamar played. Lol. Either way the RPO is a tool in the tool box when you have a QB like LJ, but not an offense that can be used exclusively at this level.

we ran fewer than 5 RPOs a game during the final 5 games of the year - there's a difference between a designed fake, a designed run and RPOs and zone reads etc. but zone reads and RPOs combined were a minimal part of our offence (albeit the threat of them loomed large over our offence which keeps the defence honest and creates space)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
RPOs, read options, and designed qb runs with fake handoffs, are different things. So those fake handoffs with lamar running aren’t necessarily RPOs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
RPOs, read options, and designed qb runs with fake handoffs, are different things. So those fake handoffs with lamar running aren’t necessarily RPOs.
exactly, and the media seems to think that is all we are doing and many of them don't distinguish RPO from Read option

exactly, and the media seems to think that is all we are doing and many of them don't distinguish RPO from Read option

Lol, it’s pretty hard to distinguish between the read option and the RPO for a dummy like me, Both are designed to give the QB the option to run, pass, or hand off based on a defensive read. So unless you’re paying very close attention you probably wouldn’t know the difference in real time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lol, it’s pretty hard to distinguish between the read option and the RPO for a dummy like me, Both are designed to give the QB the option to run, pass, or hand off based on a defensive read. So unless you’re paying very close attention you probably wouldn’t know the difference in real time.

Kind of

But even so, they really weren’t used that frequently down the stretch

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
RPO shit gonna be dead soon and has been dying just like read option. its nice to mix in but if our whole offense relies on that, RIP

Kind of

But even so, they really weren’t used that frequently down the stretch

That may be true but we still were a “run first” offense, and rightfully so. That’s what got us in a position to make the playoffs. The problem with that is when you are one dimensional offense teams eventually figure out how to stop it, which is exactly what happened. MM became predictable but in fairness he had limited options.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
My opinion of Lamar Jackson is that I really like this guy. I could care less whether he speaks well, has a high IQ, or runs too much. Lamar seems like a guy that loves the game of football, is passionate, and appears to me to be a humble person. Hell, I love that we are a run first team now. I prefer smash-mouth football. Lamar Jackson gets me excited to watch Ravens football. I am becoming a big fan of Lamar. With the players we are picking up on offense, if we can stay healthy and Roman can get them all to buy in to his new offense, our team is going to be dynamic and very exciting to watch. My only concern with Lamar is the fumbles. They need to work with him on that.

Tank

Hall of Famer
My opinion of Lamar Jackson is that I really like this guy. I could care less whether he speaks well, has a high IQ, or runs too much. Lamar seems like a guy that loves the game of football, is passionate, and appears to me to be a humble person. Hell, I love that we are a run first team now. I prefer smash-mouth football. Lamar Jackson gets me excited to watch Ravens football. I am becoming a big fan of Lamar. With the players we are picking up on offense, if we can stay healthy and Roman can get them all to buy in to his new offense, our team is going to be dynamic and very exciting to watch. My only concern with Lamar is the fumbles. They need to work with him on that.
I agree, LJ is a really good kid, humble and eager to learn. I love the run game as much as anyone and he is a special talent blessed with speed and athleticism. But you have to be an accurate and proficient passer to succeed as a QB in the NFL and I just don’t know yet if he is capable of reaching that level. It’s very concerning that we’re talking about basic things like how he grips the ball, or he was throwing ducks while just throwing the ball around with friends. I think something like ball security can be taught and learned at his age, but relearning how to grip and throw a football along with all of the other challenges young QBs face may just be too much.

I hope Lamar succeeds and becomes a beastly QB for the Ravens for years to come, but I have to say at this point I’m not nearly as optimistic as some may be.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is exciting! I mean this is an awesome sight.
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...eigh-in-on-what-to-expect-from-ravens-offense
clearly Roman is working on how Lamar grips the football. then there is this: watch these throws to Chris Moore ....check out that Lamar is gripping the ball traditionally instead of with his index on the tip....look at the tight zip and spiral on the last out..... ok the spiral isn't perfect but he's working it out.....could be a big change in accuracy with this adjustment
https://bleacherreport.com/baltimore-ravens

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...eigh-in-on-what-to-expect-from-ravens-offense
clearly Roman is working on how Lamar grips the football. then there is this: watch these throws to Chris Moore ....check out that Lamar is gripping the ball traditionally instead of with his index on the tip....look at the tight zip and spiral on the last out..... ok the spiral isn't perfect but he's working it out.....could be a big change in accuracy with this adjustment
His index is still a little high but he doesn’t seem to be “pointing” the ball with his fingertip. And he’s got a lot more authority in his release, he’s really driving those throws and they looked pretty good.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

It still looks like he’s got his finger on the tip in at least one of those clips - the difference seems to be that it’s just resting on the end rather than functionally helping the trajectory of the football like it used to

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It still looks like he’s got his finger on the tip in at least one of those clips - the difference seems to be that it’s just resting on the end rather than functionally helping the trajectory of the football like it used to
It looks more like the finger is at the rear of the ball than on the tip, which isn’t great but when he works it out it should be a massive improvement