• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is going to be a stud in this league . I can feel it. A hard worker that is hard on himself. He will not quit until he's
a top level QB.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is the most excited I've been for the start of a season since the Flacoo Elite Cam Cameron PUT THEM POINTS UP offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
According to ... the Ravens have studied RPOs at all levels and hosted a lot of college coaches. The scheme is about accentuating what LJ does best as he learns and grows.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar Jackson needs to change how he grips the football today. Now. I don't care how unused to a traditional grip he is. It isn't a difficulty fix and how on earth it is that no one has made him switch to this point is inexcusable. Its actually mind boggling.
The way he currently grips the football, with his index finger on its point, accounts for his inaccuracies underneath, on bubbles and its a big part of the problem on deep posts and overs.
Its why he dirts short throws, aims short throws and I believe he realizes it unconsciously and tries to compensate (aim) at times which often brings the ball out high on easy throws.

When you get a minute, go outside with a football and throw the ball ten yards above alternating grip. Then throw a forward pass. You'll be able to see right away how difficult it is to throw a spiral while gripping the ball as Lamar does. Again, it has to be changed now. We cannot afford misses on drags or screens. Just this little adjustment will make him a more accurate thrower.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar Jackson needs to change how he grips the football today. Now. I don't care how unused to a traditional grip he is. It isn't a difficulty fix and how on earth it is that no one has made him switch to this point is inexcusable. Its actually mind boggling.
The way he currently grips the football, with his index finger on its point, accounts for his inaccuracies underneath, on bubbles and its a big part of the problem on deep posts and overs.
Its why he dirts short throws, aims short throws and I believe he realizes it unconsciously and tries to compensate (aim) at times which often brings the ball out high on easy throws.

When you get a minute, go outside with a football and throw the ball ten yards above alternating grip. Then throw a forward pass. You'll be able to see right away how difficult it is to throw a spiral while gripping the ball as Lamar does. Again, it has to be changed now. We cannot afford misses on drags or screens. Just this little adjustment will make him a more accurate thrower.

i think you can see he's already been changing it the last year or so but its the most natural thing that he falls back on - hes even mentioned it in his first interview during OTAs - its annoying that its not there full-time but i think its the part of his mechanics that needs the most practice at this point (and i think its the thing he's going to spend a lot of the pre-training camp time trying to fix)

youre right its a really easy thing to fix but it needs so much repetition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
How good are RPOs now though? Seems like teams are kinda figuring it out
we only ran about 5 rpos per game down the final stretch as most of our plays were counter gap and power concepts.

That being said, RPOs are still tough to defend, if the QB reads it properly. RPOs create a hole in the coverage which creates an easy throw. The QB can throw to the void or give the ball to the RB or keep it himself. These plays are here to stay and yes, some teams are better at defending them due to the speed they have on defense, but most teams, as you saw last year, aren't good at defending it.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Lmao im with you all the way.. soon as we drafted him the way he grips the ball was the first reason why i figured he cant thrown as accurate

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

im happy its finally getting attention cause got dam that shit look crazy. Like wtf.. remind me of the way my little brother used to hold his pencil and wonder why his hand writing was all fked up

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think you can see he's already been changing it the last year or so but its the most natural thing that he falls back on - hes even mentioned it in his first interview during OTAs - its annoying that its not there full-time but i think its the part of his mechanics that needs the most practice at this point (and i think its the thing he's going to spend a lot of the pre-training camp time trying to fix)

youre right its a really easy thing to fix but it needs so much repetition
I don't think it will be a ton of separate reps though. Its no exaggeration to say that his lower half mechanics will take 20x more repetition. That bridge of his old grip has to be burned. he simply can't go back to it and this is the way he throws from now on. He can practice a more traditional grip anywhere....throwing the ball in the air to himself....catching and immediately re- gripping correctly. As far as live action, I would do boots at 3/4 speed allowing him a little time to re- grip if he needs it. simple pitch and catch stuff....It should be apparent immediately the difference as it relates to the balls spiral and how catchable the football is relative to the old way he is used to. The truth is that he will throw a better ball grabbing OPPOSITE the lace ( incorrectly as it were), than he will gripping it with his index atop the point.

Its alarming to me that his coach didn't even bother to address it. Im flabbergasted by this.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
im happy its finally getting attention cause got dam that shit look crazy. Like wtf.. remind me of the way my little brother used to hold his pencil and wonder why his hand writing was all fked up
thats a good analogy. It's a bit like gripping a pencil in your palm and expecting to have precision in drawing or writing.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
His grip is absolutely the reason that he missed that throw to Snead in the wild card game . (the one with the incredible Houdini escape).

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think it will be a ton of separate reps though. Its no exaggeration to say that his lower half mechanics will take 20x more repetition. That bridge of his old grip has to be burned. he simply can't go back to it and this is the way he throws from now on. He can practice a more traditional grip anywhere....throwing the ball in the air to himself....catching and immediately re- gripping correctly. As far as live action, I would do boots at 3/4 speed allowing him a little time to re- grip if he needs it. simple pitch and catch stuff....It should be apparent immediately the difference as it relates to the balls spiral and how catchable the football is relative to the old way he is used to. The truth is that he will throw a better ball grabbing OPPOSITE the lace ( incorrectly as it were), than he will gripping it with his index atop the point.

Its alarming to me that his coach didn't even bother to address it. Im flabbergasted by this.
Louisville's coaches aren't great. That offense was only decent because Jackson is a natural playmaker.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
His grip is absolutely the reason that he missed that throw to Snead in the wild card game . (the one with the incredible Houdini escape).
I compared the images from college to the NFL and on some of these college pics he gripped it differently than he does now.... like you said I also don't get why this wasn't the n1 priority. it could've been trained simultaneously with the other work