• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It looks more like the finger is at the rear of the ball than on the tip, which isn’t great but when he works it out it should be a massive improvement

as i say it also looks better because it looks like the force of the throw has no connectivity with that finger (it looks like its just spread wide rather than being an actual contributing part of the throwing motion) but obviously still something to work on - but looking at the hand position on the different throws to moore shows you the true variance in his consistency with that hand placement - on the first one it looks great but on the other two you can see a drift towards the point of the football in various degrees

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It still looks like he’s got his finger on the tip in at least one of those clips - the difference seems to be that it’s just resting on the end rather than functionally helping the trajectory of the football like it used to
I was wrong about his index finger in those clips. I'm really beginning to get concerned that no-one is addressing Lamar's grip. Here is a picture from todays practice.
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.09.21 PM.png

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was wrong about his index finger in those clips. I'm really beginning to get concerned that no-one is addressing Lamar's grip. Here is a picture from todays practice.
View attachment 1561

Yeah I’ve been pausing clips during the release too - honestly I’m not sure it’s changing the trajectory of his passes that much because in most it looks like it’s just resting close to the end but there’s no doubt it makes for some ugly inconsistent passes (which he has admitted to in pressers so it’s definitely been/being addressed even if it’s not being fixed)

I think hand size probably affects that index fingers impact too

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yeah I’ve been pausing clips during the release too - honestly I’m not sure it’s changing the trajectory of his passes that much because in most it looks like it’s just resting close to the end but there’s no doubt it makes for some ugly inconsistent passes (which he has admitted to in pressers so it’s definitely been/being addressed even if it’s not being fixed)

I wonder whether it'd help if he takes out a little air from footballs and make them slightly softer and easier to grip.
Is it allowed to deflate the balls?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Its really noticeable watching last years tape (his grip affecting the balls trajectory). Its a bigger issue to me than his mechanics in all.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
none of this is new to me. if he dont switch that shit up he gonna be fked.. mechanics or not you should still be able to throw somewhst of an accurate ball.tbh i never noticed his mechsnics.. only thing i noticed was how he holds and throw the ball. It was the most obvious thing to me..our coaching staff need to get on this shit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
none of this is new to me. if he dont switch that shit up he gonna be fked.. mechanics or not you should still be able to throw somewhst of an accurate ball.tbh i never noticed his mechsnics.. only thing i noticed was how he holds and throw the ball. It was the most obvious thing to me..our coaching staff need to get on this shit.
Mechanics are huge too. Most of his errant throws from the pocket came from him not pointing the shoulder and his base facing downfield rather than to the receiver

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Probably cherrypicked content here, but Lamar’s showing some good strikes, the worst one here was the one to Moore which wasn’t perfectly led but still hit him in stride with almost no adjustment needed and really only looked bad at the end due to the double catch.

If this is what Lamar does consistently then we’ll be fine. Unfortunately there’s no way of knowing whether or not this was consistent

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Probably cherrypicked content here, but Lamar’s showing some good strikes, the worst one here was the one to Moore which wasn’t perfectly led but still hit him in stride with almost no adjustment needed and really only looked bad at the end due to the double catch.

If this is what Lamar does consistently then we’ll be fine. Unfortunately there’s no way of knowing whether or not this was consistent

He's gonna have his inconsisties. We just gotta hope they're limited and that the run game and defense is spot on. I just cant ever see him as a top 5 qb.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's gonna have his inconsisties. We just gotta hope they're limited and that the run game and defense is spot on. I just cant ever see him as a top 5 qb.
I do see him as a top 5 QB but most importantly I see him as the most unstoppable QB in the league for many years to come. He'll single handedly win us more games on his back this year than Flacco did.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Much as ive been talking about lamar’s grip all season.. yesterday was the 1st time i got to try it out while playing football with my brothers.. lets just say, if he is ever able to become a consistently good passer using that grip, he deserves some type of special innovator award cause that shit is trash

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Much as ive been talking about lamar’s grip all season.. yesterday was the 1st time i got to try it out while playing football with my brothers.. lets just say, if he is ever able to become a consistently good passer using that grip, he deserves some type of special innovator award cause that shit is trash
I thought in his pressers Urban had clarified that he's not going to change everything about what Lamar is comfortable with and done all his life. He's thrown all his life holding the ball a certain way and done it at a high level too. I think they'll first change the follow through, planting of the feet, etc. and see how his accuracy changes leaving the grip that he's most comfortable with alone. They'll take it one step at a time with him and he'll be fine imo. Let's give him time to develop folks. He's played all of 8 games of which he's won 6 and almost won the 7th but for a miracle throw by Mahomes very reminiscent of Flacco's Mile High miracle throw. As long as he's better than last year, I am happy, very happy.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I thought in his pressers Urban had clarified that he's not going to change everything about what Lamar is comfortable with and done all his life. He's thrown all his life holding the ball a certain way and done it at a high level too. I think they'll first change the follow through, planting of the feet, etc. and see how his accuracy changes leaving the grip that he's most comfortable with alone. They'll take it one step at a time with him and he'll be fine imo. Let's give him time to develop folks. He's played all of 8 games of which he's won 6 and almost won the 7th but for a miracle throw by Mahomes very reminiscent of Flacco's Mile High miracle throw. As long as he's better than last year, I am happy, very happy.
I def agree.. i wanna see how well he develops. Its gonna be a looooot growing pains though

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does Lamar have to be top 5? I mean shit lol