• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No way I consider Myles Garrett, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, or Todd Gurley generational talents. I agree it's too early to decide about Q. Williams and Hockenson. I also believe it's too early to decide with Nelson. Generational Talent and a great player are very different animals. You've listed 9 players over the last 3 years that you could consider generational talents. Not a chance

I've been watching football since 1971. There haven't been this many generational talents since then in my eyes. Maybe once or twice a decade, but that's it and it's not a per position thing in my eyes either.

I'm not sure anyone on your list should be included in generational talent. Barkley may be the best of the bunch.
Yes i agree with barkley for sure. Could also argue ODB.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
because of Lamar you feel pretty good about going for it 4th and 2 on your own 45
If he could learn how to be more accurate I’d be more inclined to agree.

I like him, but he’s got problems he needs to fix. Denying that is just denying the truth. He hasn’t yet proven that he’s a franchise QB yet. He deserves the chance and we are clearly going to give it to him, but we really need to temper our expectations. This will be his first year as the full time guy. His safety nets were taken away from him. We have a young team. I fully expect that when we win games, it’ll be in spectacular fashion, but I also expect some bad losses.

This is anywhere from a 7-9 year to a 10-6 one. This team certainly has the talent to make the postseason and win the division. But we need to pump the breaks here.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's a per position thing and it has to be that way. It isn't fair to certain other things otherwise. You mean to tell me that guys like Khalil Mack and Von Miller weren't that? Or Julio Jones or AJ Green? Agree to disagree I guess but to say that my way is ridiculous is unfair. I'm doing it based off of position.

I agree that there's very few per decade but an average of 2000-2500 players are drafted every ten years. There's maybe 10-20 players per decade who get that slot. Ratio wise, that adds up. At most, a grand total of 1% of players per decade. Literally the statistical definition of a generational. Outrageously small.

Generational prospects: Guys who fundamentally change their teams or guys who project as future hall of famers. Garrett has changed that defense and based off of his athleticism, length, power, and technique certainly hs that ceiling. Gurley has been a cornerstone, Elliot has been a cornerstone. Both have ridiculous ceilings. Adams has changed that defense as a leader and a player(and the Jets add Quinen, where if he keeps his head on straight has that kind of talent). Hockenson could be an elite receiving AND blocking TE. Nelson has been the primary reason that oline has turned around and was arguably the best guard in football as a ROOKIE.

I'm sorry. If you have a problem with my rating system, it's not going to change. I don't see the issue. Anywhere from .8%-1% of all draftable prospects IN A DECADE get that classification. I don't see how that's an exaggeration.
mack and Von Miller are absolutely generational players as is Julio Jones. I think AJ Green is just below generational talent, but he's damn good.

I don't consider it a position by position thing, but I do include every position. I don't say he was a generational player for an offensive lineman. He has to be way above elite in my eyes, like Zach Martin level elite. Yes there have been more than ten players since 1971, the year I started watching football, but I was kidding with that number. Of course there are more, but not like you are making them out to be in your post. You mentioned 9 players in your original post and now agree that there are maybe 10-20 players per decade. I'd say it's closer to ten than twenty.

Generational and HOF may intertwine a bit, but not all HOF's are Generational Talents. It does work the other way around though. Garrett has that ceiling but it's WAY too early to tell in my eyes. Zeke is no way a generational talent and we will agree to disagree with that one. That waters down the talent of actual generational talents such as Adrian Peterson. Peterson is by far the better player and one of the best RB's in history. Zeke is running behind a WALL. It's there offensive line that has paved the way and why I see Zach Martin as a generational talent. It's too early to see if Nelson is going to be that type of player, but he certainly has the talent and I do believe he becomes a generational talent. He was my top player in the 2018 draft. In regards to Adams, that entire defense is loaded, especially now. He's definitely a leader and one of the best young Safeties in the game. Does he have a chance to become a generational talent, maybe he does, but not at this point when he's heading into his third season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If he could learn how to be more accurate I’d be more inclined to agree.

I like him, but he’s got problems he needs to fix. Denying that is just denying the truth. He hasn’t yet proven that he’s a franchise QB yet. He deserves the chance and we are clearly going to give it to him, but we really need to temper our expectations. This will be his first year as the full time guy. His safety nets were taken away from him. We have a young team. I fully expect that when we win games, it’ll be in spectacular fashion, but I also expect some bad losses.

This is anywhere from a 7-9 year to a 10-6 one. This team certainly has the talent to make the postseason and win the division. But we need to pump the breaks here.
I absolutely agree, we need to temper are expectations and not jump on LJ with every incomplete pass. It isn't fair to him at all. I think we have a chance to go 11-5, but feel our worst case scenario is right where you say it is at 7-9. Of course this all depends on how healthy our team is as well.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
`
mack and Von Miller are absolutely generational players as is Julio Jones. I think AJ Green is just below generational talent, but he's damn good.

I don't consider it a position by position thing, but I do include every position. I don't say he was a generational player for an offensive lineman. He has to be way above elite in my eyes, like Zach Martin level elite. Yes there have been more than ten players since 1971, the year I started watching football, but I was kidding with that number. Of course there are more, but not like you are making them out to be in your post. You mentioned 9 players in your original post and now agree that there are maybe 10-20 players per decade. I'd say it's closer to ten than twenty.

Generational and HOF may intertwine a bit, but not all HOF's are Generational Talents. It does work the other way around though. Garrett has that ceiling but it's WAY too early to tell in my eyes. Zeke is no way a generational talent and we will agree to disagree with that one. That waters down the talent of actual generational talents such as Adrian Peterson. Peterson is by far the better player and one of the best RB's in history. Zeke is running behind a WALL. It's there offensive line that has paved the way and why I see Zach Martin as a generational talent. It's too early to see if Nelson is going to be that type of player, but he certainly has the talent and I do believe he becomes a generational talent. He was my top player in the 2018 draft. In regards to Adams, that entire defense is loaded, especially now. He's definitely a leader and one of the best young Safeties in the game. Does he have a chance to become a generational talent, maybe he does, but not at this point when he's heading into his third season.

I’ve counted 15 players I had with that grade. Keuchly, Luck, Mack, Donald included there. Zeke is running behind a wall yes but to think that Joe Schmo could lead the league in rushing in 2/3 first seasons behind that line is naive. It’ takes a Uber talented player and he is that. Adams was the catalyst for turning that D around.

It’s more of a disagreement. You believe to evaluate them. I’m evaluating their talent beforehand. You’re doing so after. But my way of evaluating is perfectly valid.

Btw 15 total dudes out of 2500 is 0.6% of eligible prospects over the past ten years have earned that grade.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I absolutely agree, we need to temper are expectations and not jump on LJ with every incomplete pass. It isn't fair to him at all. I think we have a chance to go 11-5, but feel our worst case scenario is right where you say it is at 7-9. Of course this all depends on how healthy our team is as well.
Completion percentage isn’t 100%.

Screw this. SZN over. I don’t make the rules

Generational talent is a guy who comes along once in a generation - ie one guy every 20 years or so. You guys are discussing elite players. Generational is another level.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Generational talent is a guy who comes along once in a generation - ie one guy every 20 years or so. You guys are discussing elite players. Generational is another level.

100% agree - very few recent players bit that bar for me

The last 10 years or so this is who I’d include as a rough estimate:

Pat Mahomes
Zack Martin
Julio Jones
Tyron Smith
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Donald
JJ Watt
Earl Thomas
Luke Kuechly

Maybe a couple missed but these guys are who I’d put forth as generational type talents from this decade

I'd say it's too early to tell for Mahomes. Guys who *could* turn into generational talents come along at a rate of about a few a year, but very few make it.

The benchmark for this board should be: is this guy as good as Ray Lewis? If not, he's not generational - you gotta save that top tier for the best of the best.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i think generational players are players that we likely wont see for another 10+ yrs or just never again..

Odb - brung sandlot football to the nfl. I argued so hard for this dude coming out of college when people were screaming watkins and those guys..

Saquan- everyone knew he was top 5 back before he entered the nfl.

Watt
Donald
Ab-people probably wouldnt agree with this but we are likely never to see this type of player again. Relies strictly on skill. Not bigger nor faster than any corner he faces yet still manages to do what he does. Work ethic is craZy.

could argue julio, but we just got done watching calvin who is a better version of him. Tbh id even put my guy hopkins as an generational talent over julio. To me, hopkins is a mix of fitz and owens

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
100% agree - very few recent players bit that bar for me

The last 10 years or so this is who I’d include as a rough estimate:

Pat Mahomes
Zack Martin
Julio Jones
Tyron Smith
Rob Gronkowski
Aaron Donald
JJ Watt
Earl Thomas
Luke Kuechly

Maybe a couple missed but these guys are who I’d put forth as generational type talents from this decade
this is a good list and I'd ad Megatron to that list.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we’re talking real generational players currently, including guys who may be on a downturn late in their careers, id name..

Tom Brady
Drew brees
Aaron Donald
Adrian Peterson

Guys who have real potential to be that:
Travis kelce
Saquon Barkley
Julio Jones
DeAndre Hopkins
Quenton Nelson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If we’re talking real generational players currently, including guys who may be on a downturn late in their careers, id name..

Tom Brady
Drew brees
Aaron Donald
Adrian Peterson

Guys who have real potential to be that:
Travis kelce
Saquon Barkley
Julio Jones
DeAndre Hopkins
Quenton Nelson
what about Odell? Id put him on there before i would julio tbh