• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The chargers game plan was based on rushing 4 and keeping safeties in the box to run with Lamar, and the game plan worked like gangbusters because 1. we tried quick timing passes all day and they had the lanes loaded with safeties, and 2. Melvin Ingram had a goddamn field day, along with really the rest of their line. The only adjustment was deeper drops, and that made no difference because the 4 man rush was overwhelming the line as much as ever, and Lamar was now making plays with his legs and throwing over the top of deep coverage.

I’ve watched that game 3 more times since it happened, and it was clear to me that 1. Lamar was too handcuffed early and 2. The whole prevent D thing was a myth because Lamar exploited exactly what that D is built to stop. If Lamar was dink and dunking down the field and moving the chains on little 4-5 yard scrambles and then stumbling in the red zone, id feel very differently, but he was flat out beating them near the end, and I promise you the chargers were shitting their pants after those 2 drives and let out a big sigh of relief when nwosu blew past Zeus untouched and ended it
Lamar looks like he has all the qualities of a good qb.. just some improvement on his accuracy and shit gonna get real.. could look like version of russ wilson

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Could look like version of russ wilson
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lamar looks like he has all the qualities of a good qb.. just some improvement on his accuracy and shit gonna get real.. could look like version of russ wilson
Hell never be anything like Wilson imo, lacks the down to down accuracy and that’s just a fundamental flaw I think he’s always gonna have.

What Lamar could develop into is something I genuinely think we can’t compare to any previous player. I wouldn’t even say Vick, because when it comes to designed runs, setting up blocks, and open field jukes, I think Lamar is better, I also think Lamar’s pocket presence, quick reads(he needs to improve here but he obviously can make quick reads, he just has to see some of the things he misses, and that comes with anticipation and understanding of defenses), determination to extend and pass rather than run, and very quick release all make him a one of a kind player.

His floor is kordell Stewart, but his ceiling is something we’ve never seen before and probably never would see again if he can come close to it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hell never be anything like Wilson imo, lacks the down to down accuracy and that’s just a fundamental flaw I think he’s always gonna have.

What Lamar could develop into is something I genuinely think we can’t compare to any previous player. I wouldn’t even say Vick, because when it comes to designed runs, setting up blocks, and open field jukes, I think Lamar is better, I also think Lamar’s pocket presence, quick reads(he needs to improve here but he obviously can make quick reads, he just has to see some of the things he misses, and that comes with anticipation and understanding of defenses), determination to extend and pass rather than run, and very quick release all make him a one of a kind player.

His floor is kordell Stewart, but his ceiling is something we’ve never seen before and probably never would see again if he can come close to it

You’re right - a lot of people try and pidgeon-hole him as a Michael vick type and I understand why but he’s an impossible comp because there’s never been a qb like him before

Just spent some time watching Jackson highlight videos from last year, and whatever else he is or will develop into, he is so exciting to watch! The season needs to hurry up and start because I need to watch this new offense. Lamar might have his flaws right now but god damn is he entertaining.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just spent some time watching Jackson highlight videos from last year, and whatever else he is or will develop into, he is so exciting to watch! The season needs to hurry up and start because I need to watch this new offense. Lamar might have his flaws right now but god damn is he entertaining.
For real, I haven’t been this excited about a ravens season since the boldin/Torrey/rice era

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Youre def spot on with this shit. I said samething regarding him and vick last season as far as running goes.. if lamar was to even reach close to his ceiling, we would have to give him a baseball like contract lol. I really want lamar to be great. He could bring so much exposure to our team. Tired of mfs finding out about players 2-3 yrs late. Its time for mfs to start overrating our players like how they do patriots,cowboys and everyone else... at the same time though, i like being the underdogs lmao

rossihunter2

Staff Member

For real, I haven’t been this excited about a ravens season since the boldin/Torrey/rice era

im exactly the same - even if the season goes unexpectedly badly ill still be riveted as long as lamar jackson's our qb

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Youre def spot on with this shit. I said samething regarding him and vick last season as far as running goes.. if lamar was to even reach close to his ceiling, we would have to give him a baseball like contract lol. I really want lamar to be great. He could bring so much exposure to our team. Tired of mfs finding out about players 2-3 yrs late. Its time for mfs to start overrating our players like how they do patriots,cowboys and everyone else... at the same time though, i like being the underdogs lmao
He’s a generational talent, that’s a fact, a guy like this comes along once in a lifetime, and it’s highly unfortunate that he comes with such risk factors that might keep him from becoming the player he could potentially become.

im exactly the same - even if the season goes unexpectedly badly ill still be riveted as long as lamar jackson's our qb
Yes. Even on a bad day you never know what kind of exciting shit he might pull off. Vick played on a number of losing teams but the world tuned in to watch him play because he was exciting as hell. Lamar is like that too, he’s gonna be must see tv, he’s got limitations as a passer but he does shit that no other qb could dream of doing. It’s exciting knowing the ravens finally have a ratings draw, we had the 2 GOATs at their respective playing for a decade plus but we couldn’t draw the spotlight, now we have a QB who can draw it for the first time and that’s just an awesome feeling

purp

Practice Squad
He’s a generational talent, that’s a fact, a guy like this comes along once in a lifetime, and it’s highly unfortunate that he comes with such risk factors that might keep him from becoming the player he could potentially become.

Yes. Even on a bad day you never know what kind of exciting shit he might pull off. Vick played on a number of losing teams but the world tuned in to watch him play because he was exciting as hell. Lamar is like that too, he’s gonna be must see tv, he’s got limitations as a passer but he does shit that no other qb could dream of doing. It’s exciting knowing the ravens finally have a ratings draw, we had the 2 GOATs at their respective playing for a decade plus but we couldn’t draw the spotlight, now we have a QB who can draw it for the first time and that’s just an awesome feeling

I love watching the play where he vaults over the bench at like 100 mph.

This is honestly not what I expected when I clicked this thread. So much positivity it’s great!

I agree with the general sentiment. Half the time I don’t even know what I’m watching offensively but holy crap is it exciting. A big underrated factor that one of our opposing coaches(I think it was Anthony Lynn) mentioned is that he throws like a quarterback, runs out of the backfield like a running back, and runs in open space like a wide receiver.

It’s true and it’s crazy when you think about it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I love watching the play where he vaults over the bench at like 100 mph.

This is honestly not what I expected when I clicked this thread. So much positivity it’s great!

I agree with the general sentiment. Half the time I don’t even know what I’m watching offensively but holy crap is it exciting. A big underrated factor that one of our opposing coaches(I think it was Anthony Lynn) mentioned is that he throws like a quarterback, runs out of the backfield like a running back, and runs in open space like a wide receiver.

It’s true and it’s crazy when you think about it.
and he's able to leap tall buildings, well benches, like superman.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Don't tell that to the Chiefs fan that came in here one time lmao

But yeah, it's pretty great to finally have some excitement on the offensive side of the ball. All these casual football fans calling Lamar a RB are still going to be tuned into our games to see what he can pull off.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Lamar Jackson? Generational talent?
This is coming from one of his supporters, and someone who is liberal with the term generational talent. To me there's been a select few of those EVER at the QB position. The last one we had was Andrew Luck. There's a lot of good talent at the QB position, and I think he's one of them, but he hasn't proven himself at all as a QB yet. There's a reason there's been talk on this forum of replacing him with Trevor Lawrence(a guy who I think is a generational talent, best QB prospect since Luck) in two years if he doesn't hack it. Generational talents at the QB position are almost guaranteed to be safe. Almost.

Hell, there's only been a handful of them for the past couple of years

since 2015

-Saquon Barkley
-Quenton Nelson
-Quinen Williams(too early to tell)
-Myles Garrett
-Todd Gurley
-Ezekiel Elliot
-TJ Hockenson(too early to tell)
-Jamal Adams
-Leonard Fournette(of the ones the I've predicted, this is the one I've been wrong about. But even then he's very good when healthy)

I mean. Only a handful of guys. Not a single one until 2021 is a QB.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This is coming from one of his supporters, and someone who is liberal with the term generational talent. To me there's been a select few of those EVER at the QB position. The last one we had was Andrew Luck. There's a lot of good talent at the QB position, and I think he's one of them, but he hasn't proven himself at all as a QB yet. There's a reason there's been talk on this forum of replacing him with Trevor Lawrence(a guy who I think is a generational talent, best QB prospect since Luck) in two years if he doesn't hack it. Generational talents at the QB position are almost guaranteed to be safe. Almost.

since 2015

-Saquon Barkley
-Quenton Nelson
-Myles Garrett
-Todd Gurley
-Ezekiel Elliot
-Jamal Adams
-Leonard Fournette(of the ones the I've predicted, this is the one I've been wrong about. But even then he's very good when healthy)

I dont like leonard nor gurley tbh. Good backs but They rely on speed and power too much.only two backs ive ever been big on was AP and barkley. As for lamar, he is gonna need a system where it covers up all his weaknesses. If he doesnt change that grip on the football, im guaranteeing he wont ever be a good passer.

Im also not a fan of luck. Throws way too many ints from bad decision making

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

since 2015

-Saquon Barkley
-Quenton Nelson
-Myles Garrett
-Todd Gurley
-Ezekiel Elliot
-Jamal Adams

I’m using generational talent in a different context here, as in; he’s a type of player that we’ve never seen before and will likely never see again.

Not as in he’s the greatest at his position of his whole generation.

Maybe the wrong term there

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

since 2015

-Saquon Barkley
-Quenton Nelson
-Myles Garrett
-Todd Gurley
-Ezekiel Elliot
-Jamal Adams

No way I consider Myles Garrett, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, or Todd Gurley generational talents. I agree it's too early to decide about Q. Williams and Hockenson. I also believe it's too early to decide with Nelson. Generational Talent and a great player are very different animals. You've listed 9 players over the last 3 years that you could consider generational talents. Not a chance

I've been watching football since 1971. There haven't been this many generational talents since then in my eyes. Maybe once or twice a decade, but that's it and it's not a per position thing in my eyes either.

I'm not sure anyone on your list should be included in generational talent. Barkley may be the best of the bunch.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
No way I consider Myles Garrett, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, or Todd Gurley generational talents. I agree it's too early to decide about Q. Williams and Hockenson. I also believe it's too early to decide with Nelson. Generational Talent and a great player are very different animals. You've listed 9 players over the last 3 years that you could consider generational talents. Not a chance

I've been watching football since 1971. There haven't been this many generational talents since then in my eyes. Maybe once or twice a decade, but that's it and it's not a per position thing in my eyes either.

I'm not sure anyone on your list should be included in generational talent. Barkley may be the best of the bunch.
It's a per position thing and it has to be that way. It isn't fair to certain other things otherwise. You mean to tell me that guys like Khalil Mack and Von Miller weren't that? Or Julio Jones or AJ Green? Agree to disagree I guess but to say that my way is ridiculous is unfair. I'm doing it based off of position.

I agree that there's very few per decade but an average of 2000-2500 players are drafted every ten years. There's maybe 10-20 players per decade who get that slot. Ratio wise, that adds up. At most, a grand total of 1% of players per decade. Literally the statistical definition of a generational. Outrageously small.

Generational prospects: Guys who fundamentally change their teams or guys who project as future hall of famers. Garrett has changed that defense and based off of his athleticism, length, power, and technique certainly hs that ceiling. Gurley has been a cornerstone, Elliot has been a cornerstone. Both have ridiculous ceilings. Adams has changed that defense as a leader and a player(and the Jets add Quinen, where if he keeps his head on straight has that kind of talent). Hockenson could be an elite receiving AND blocking TE. Nelson has been the primary reason that oline has turned around and was arguably the best guard in football as a ROOKIE.

I'm sorry. If you have a problem with my rating system, it's not going to change. I don't see the issue. Anywhere from .8%-1% of all draftable prospects IN A DECADE get that classification. I don't see how that's an exaggeration.