• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Not a good passer but I don’t think that necessarily means bad qb, Vick wasn’t a good passer by any means lol but he was winning games with a VERY bad supporting cast.

I maintain fully that Lamar doesn’t need to be anything more than an average at best passer, because all he needs to do is supplement his assets as a runner/scrambler.
I agree with you. If he can just became a consistently avg passer we should be fine but his last yr passing performances is something that will not help us

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree with you. If he can just became a consistently avg passer we should be fine but his last yr passing performances is something that will not help us
He was honestly good enough overall. The chargers game is stuck in our heads and that’s a fact, it seems to be overriding all the good he did. He missed throws, but he also threw it well enough to keep the chains moving, and he also had his moments where he wasn’t just moving the chains but actually making plays as a passer, he had 2 broken plays where he improvised with John brown and mark andrews against the bengals and those 2 passes may have been the difference. Multiple big plays against the raiders, chargers, chiefs, and browns, and his arm would’ve won the game vs the chiefs had Chris Moore attempted to catch that bomb or if the refs threw that obvious flag for PI, not to mention when we finally cut him loose and put the game on Lamar’s back, he made it rain in the fourth quarter vs the chargers but it was too little too late.

Personally I think the fourth quarter vs the chargers is more indicative than anything, in that situation with the crowd booing you and all, he responded like that. Lamar can do ENOUGH as a passer, I think hes already proven that pretty well, he’s gotta take another step, but i don’t think his passing was as bad as people make it out to be

This won't be popular, but the 4th quarter comeback against the Chargers had as much to do with their defence easing up as it did with Lamar. The pass rush stopped coming and they dropped back into coverage. Credit to him for nearly making them pay, but it's not like he figured them out. It's a great sign that he kept his head up - hopefully a better playcaller won't let him get in a hole like that in the future.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This won't be popular, but the 4th quarter comeback against the Chargers had as much to do with their defence easing up as it did with Lamar. The pass rush stopped coming and they dropped back into coverage. Credit to him for nearly making them pay, but it's not like he figured them out. It's a great sign that he kept his head up - hopefully a better playcaller won't let him get in a hole like that in the future.
He was evading the rush and extending plays with his feet after the pressure got to him, so that’s debunked, and that prevent defense is designed to do one thing, keep plays in front to prevent the ball from going over defenders, he went over deep coverage for the TD to crab and over defenders for the big play to Dixon, so that’s also debunked, then there is no prevent in the red zone, he again extended with his legs and threw a dart in tight coverage to an improvising Crabtree, so again, debunked.

That’s a very popular and also very false go-to

He was evading the rush and extending plays with his feet after the pressure got to him, so that’s debunked, and that prevent defense is designed to do one thing, keep plays in front to prevent the ball from going over defenders, he went over deep coverage for the TD to crab and over defenders for the big play to Dixon, so that’s also debunked, then there is no prevent in the red zone, he again extended with his legs and threw a dart in tight coverage to an improvising Crabtree, so again, debunked.

That’s a very popular and also very false go-to

I don't think citing specific completions is the way to debunk this, since blown coverages happen. The big play to Dixon in particular was an error by Derwin James and could easily have been picked. However, I'm a football dumbass and I'm just saying what I saw. All you need to do to change my mind is tell me what formation the Chargers D was mostly in early on, and how it did/didn't change, and I'll probably believe you.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
they didn't ease up, the pressure kept coming.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Idk remember what defense they running early on but in the 4th q when we started making a comback, it was only 4man rushes from the chargers, no exotic blitzes or nothing

Reactions: cdp
Yeh I just rewatched part of the Game in 40 on gamepass - 4th quarter D from the Chargers is all 4 man rush, everyone else drop in deep zone. Hard to make a fair assessment from the extended highlights, but that's how I remembered it being. The Crabtree TD over the top, the corner just forgot he was playing it looks like. Lamar made some great plays though, no question - there are several examples of him evading pressure in a collapsing pocket that I'd forgotten.

I tried to watch the early stuff to compare, but given that it's a highlights package, I can't tell what they did against the pass because there weren't any passing highlights. Swarming aggressively to the run though.

Alright, I'm wrong. Found another video with more of the early passing plays. They did the same thing all game; rush 4 and drop. Nothing major changed, at least to my eye; they just stopped getting home mostly thanks to Lamar's elusiveness and some blown coverages.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Alright, I'm wrong. Found another video with more of the early passing plays. They did the same thing all game; rush 4 and drop. Nothing major changed, at least to my eye; they just stopped getting home mostly thanks to Lamar's elusiveness and some blown coverages.
exactly how I remember it.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure they needed to send any additional rushers as Jackson was sacked 3(or 4?) times in the 4th quarter. But for whatever it's worth, the chargers did send a fifth man on 3rd and 11 (4th quarter). The very next play was a converted 4th down to Snead followed by a TD to Crabtree.
blitz.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The chargers game plan was based on rushing 4 and keeping safeties in the box to run with Lamar, and the game plan worked like gangbusters because 1. we tried quick timing passes all day and they had the lanes loaded with safeties, and 2. Melvin Ingram had a goddamn field day, along with really the rest of their line. The only adjustment was deeper drops, and that made no difference because the 4 man rush was overwhelming the line as much as ever, and Lamar was now making plays with his legs and throwing over the top of deep coverage.

I’ve watched that game 3 more times since it happened, and it was clear to me that 1. Lamar was too handcuffed early and 2. The whole prevent D thing was a myth because Lamar exploited exactly what that D is built to stop. If Lamar was dink and dunking down the field and moving the chains on little 4-5 yard scrambles and then stumbling in the red zone, id feel very differently, but he was flat out beating them near the end, and I promise you the chargers were shitting their pants after those 2 drives and let out a big sigh of relief when nwosu blew past Zeus untouched and ended it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
On our td drives, it looked like they stopped rushing ingram from the inside.