• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
agree, this is a bad comp. Joe and Phillip Rivers are the toughest QBs in the NFL. I'm not comparing talent, just saying imo these are the toughest QBs.
As far as toughness is concerned without complaining it has to be Flacco. He's so fucking laid back that he is bored to complain about his ailments! That surely carries over to everything else unfortunately. But, the two redeeming Flacco qualities are one, his directness and truth telling in pressers and two, his toughness and not ever complaining about his receivers or weapons.

Who else is proud of Lamar Jackson who had his second outing with his receivers thus tying Flacco's career total as a Raven??

It’s good to hear that Lamar is willing to put in extra time to improve his passing game but I really wonder sometimes, how important it really is these days. There was a time before OTA’s and mandatory mini-camps when the extra time was more important for new receivers to get as much time as possible with their new QB. It certainly can’t hurt anything but added results when the real bullets are flying is questionable to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It’s good to hear that Lamar is willing to put in extra time to improve his passing game but I really wonder sometimes, how important it really is these days. There was a time before OTA’s and mandatory mini-camps when the extra time was more important for new receivers to get as much time as possible with their new QB. It certainly can’t hurt anything but added results when the real bullets are flying is questionable to me.
if for no other reason than camaraderie it is important.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
big jen? He's a big ass whining puss. Tough to bring down, but definitely not what anyone would call "tough". Diva better describes big Jen. lol
He whines for sure but imo he is one tough mf.. i dnt think anyone in the history of qbs, have played with more injuries than ben.. well maybe except farve

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Camaraderie is a good thing. Important in terms of better results during the season? I’m not convinced. Like I said it can’t hurt I guess, but there is no way to quantify it.

its the little things you build by understanding how a guy runs, how a guy moves, his tells, how he cuts

its not a huge difference but it increases comfort level - why do you think flacco and pitta had such a great connection on the field - well partly its because they both were good players but also it was because they had a cameraderie and mutual understanding that developed beyond purely being teammates and knowing each other better which extended back onto the field

lamar doesnt have to be best friends with a receiver but spending time with them running reps will help him and them build rapport with the little things

now what it wont help with is reading defences and reacting the same way to coverage changes or post-snap deceptions etc. nor will it necessarily create better timing but it does create extra comfort which with a young receiving corps and a 2nd year qb (who needs as many good reps as possible) can only help

its the little things you build by understanding how a guy runs, how a guy moves, his tells, how he cuts

its not a huge difference but it increases comfort level - why do you think flacco and pitta had such a great connection on the field - well partly its because they both were good players but also it was because they had a cameraderie and mutual understanding that developed beyond purely being teammates and knowing each other better which extended back onto the field

lamar doesnt have to be best friends with a receiver but spending time with them running reps will help him and them build rapport with the little things

now what it wont help with is reading defences and reacting the same way to coverage changes or post-snap deceptions etc. nor will it necessarily create better timing but it does create extra comfort which with a young receiving corps and a 2nd year qb (who needs as many good reps as possible) can only help

Again I don’t see him getting together with his receivers a bad thing. It can help develop relationships. But camaraderie and comfort level are subjective, and there’s no way to know if it will help when they have a defense in front of them who wants to take their heads off. Lamar needs reps. More reps = more consistency. (I hope). And for that reason alone it could help.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Again I don’t see him getting together with his receivers a bad thing. It can help develop relationships. But camaraderie and comfort level are subjective, and there’s no way to know if it will help when they have a defense in front of them who wants to take their heads off. Lamar needs reps. More reps = more consistency. (I hope). And for that reason alone it could help.

hey if hes doing it with his qb coach joshua harris then its good reps with those new mechanics as a worst case scenario

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Speed, placement, timing. That’s what you work on with those extra reps, you’re not gonna see a world of difference from it, but those extra reps might result in Lamar knowing he can lead brown a little further on that slant and result in a TD rather than catch and tackle, it might result in Lamar knowing to hit Boykin underneath on the fade rather than over the top because, little things like that.

And frankly, I made fun of people making a big deal about joe not doing it, because it wasn’t a huge deal, but I know I’ve seen a lot of completions from joe that could’ve/should’ve been big plays rather than just a standard completion, and feeling out his targets more in the offseason and learning their speed better COULD have been the difference

Speed, placement, timing. That’s what you work on with those extra reps, you’re not gonna see a world of difference from it, but those extra reps might result in Lamar knowing he can lead brown a little further on that slant and result in a TD rather than catch and tackle, it might result in Lamar knowing to hit Boykin underneath on the fade rather than over the top because, little things like that.

And frankly, I made fun of people making a big deal about joe not doing it, because it wasn’t a huge deal, but I know I’ve seen a lot of completions from joe that could’ve/should’ve been big plays rather than just a standard completion, and feeling out his targets more in the offseason and learning their speed better COULD have been the difference

Trashing Joe for not doing this is still amusing to me. The guy has been to the playoffs 6 times, two AFCCG, and won a SB. And his play in the playoffs has been very good for the most part. IMO it would have been more beneficial to have Dean Pees DB’s working on coverages in the off-season. Lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Trashing Joe for not doing this is still amusing to me. The guy has been to the playoffs 6 times, two AFCCG, and won a SB. And his play in the playoffs has been very good for the most part. IMO it would have been more beneficial to have Dean Pees DB’s working on coverages in the off-season. Lol.
If joe was always so inconsistent but seemed to catch fire late in the year and in the playoffs(which he always did) would it be somewhat rational to assume that the inconsistencies lessened later in the year and he always seemed to play better because he had a higher rep count with his receivers by this point? Maybe he had worked out his timing and placement a little more and things were running smoother.

Not saying it is or isn’t the case, just something to think about.

If joe was always so inconsistent but seemed to catch fire late in the year and in the playoffs(which he always did) would it be somewhat rational to assume that the inconsistencies lessened later in the year and he always seemed to play better because he had a higher rep count with his receivers by this point? Maybe he had worked out his timing and placement a little more and things were running smoother.

Yeah Joe was inconsistent at times but he still won allot of games as starter. His winning percentage in regular season games was around 60%. That’s not too shabby. But to your point it possibly could have helped had he tossed some balls to his receivers during the off season, but I just have trouble when people point to this as a way to lambast Joe. It just is not logical to me.

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
But just hope now Lamar can help win the team. And really Joe won the team a Super Bowl. Bear in mind.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Food for thought for sure. It also is food to augment the thought that Joe's lack of going above and beyond in the off season hurt his stats and consequently the team record.

Food for thought for sure. It also is food to augment the thought that Joe's lack of going above and beyond in the off season hurt his stats and consequently the team record.

Well I’m a “glass half full” kind a guy and I would prefer to focus on the positive things that Joe did while he was here, instead of bashing him for hypothetical possibilities. As for Lamar I am glad to hear that he is putting in extra time. He certainly has a good work ethic, which is never a bad thing. I look forward to watching him grow as our QB.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It never should have come to the point it did with Harbaugh putting Joe out there to a national media in regards to Flacco organizing sessions with his receivers. I'm sure this wasn't a first option ( alerting the media that they expect him to organize said sessions) and that the organization made it known to Joe in person that they would have liked him to take this initiative.....for years ...and he wouldn't/didnt/couldnt. Its inexcusable given the amount of trust the organization placed in him to lead this team.

That sort of leadership and example of dedication trickles down. At the very least, Jackson is showing both and I'm trusting that this too will trickle down