• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Hearing about it and actually seeing it are two different things. A lot of people give Lamar flack for not being the most intelligent person in the locker room, but when he talks about football and is given a chance to be with his teammates, he begins to blossom and you see a true love for the game. I want my players to keep their heads up when they fail and have a desire to get better, that overcomes the hype and is what separates the gems from the busts, and I believe that Lamar has that quality in him.
And that is what is so endearing for me about this young man and why I am a big fan of Lamar.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Personally for me it depends on what we see or course but I’d give him at least this year and next year before we start to think about replacing him if he doesn’t perform - basically until we have to start thinking about the 5th year option

Yeah, we give Lamar this season and the next to show us what we have. If he can continue to make progress then obviously we'll pick up his option and go from there (Lamar is still one of the youngest QBs in the league so it's not out of the question that we could still see significant improvements to his game in years 4 and 5). On the other hand, if Lamar doesn't make much progress, or if he regresses, then we should hopefully be able to nab a solid QB in the 2021 draft (realistically, we would have to be really bad in order to get a chance at Trevor, but who knows what could happen).

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here are other interesting parts of this article:
'Later in the offseason, he works with the 3DQB group, headed by Adam Dedeaux and Tom House'
- 'Jackson works on getting his shoulder and arm properly aligned with his hip when he passes, and on the timing of his release. He is drilled time and again on how he holds the ball in the pocket and how he carries the ball when he takes off'
- 'By March, the new system is in place. The run game is very similar to what it had been. But the passing game has been revamped completely. Most of the terminology is new. Overall, Roman estimates the offensive playbook is 30 percent new'
-

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
While they're not talking heads per se, both Melissa Stark and Amber Theoharis are Ravens fans.

I do not put much stock in these two female hosts, but I am with Tank in the preceding post. Looking at the 'gears.tv' system to watch the Ravens for the upcoming season.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Edgar : this from an article about lamar and how lamar ended up a raven by the athletic that i think you in particular would find interesting...

"Initially, Jackson struggles to spin an NFL football, which is different from footballs used by the NCAA. They adjust the placement of his index finger."
That does look interesting! thank you. Do you know a way I can read the entire piece without having to subscribe?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
That does look interesting! thank you. Do you know a way I can read the entire piece without having to subscribe?
I just downloaded the iPhone app and it allowed me to see the article in full. Just sign up and hit skip when it asks you for a free trial and you'll be able to read the article in full.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just finished reading the entire article. If you are already a Lamar fan, you'll nod your head in total agreement and still come away amazed at his potential. If you're one of the haters (for the sake of it) you'll still reluctantly agree that the Ravens are in a great place where QB is concerned. You'll not acknowledge it but will secretly rue the fact that it is true.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Harbaugh also said the following about the offensive scheme in this article

“I expect this to change the way offensive football is played in the National Football League,” Harbaugh says. “Not that everybody is going to take on this style. But I expect us to create something that hasn’t been seen before. It’s elements and concepts that aren’t new to football. But the way we apply them and put them together and decide how much we use in the course of a game or a season — five step, three step, seven step, play action, RPOs, double options, triple options, downhill runs, all the audibles you can run, directional runs — all of that is part of it. I think we’re going to be in more elements than any team has ever been.”

Roman deletes page after page from the old playbook. He solicits Jackson’s input throughout the process of the overhaul. “It was all geared through a Lamar Jackson vision,” he says. He also said the Run game is the same, but the Passing offense is completely different and the offensive scheme is 30% new.

The article also confirmed he worked with the 3DQB group, headed by Adam Dedeaux and Tom House. In between, he spends hours and hours with Urban.

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh also said the following about the offensive scheme in this article

“I expect this to change the way offensive football is played in the National Football League,” Harbaugh says. “Not that everybody is going to take on this style. But I expect us to create something that hasn’t been seen before. It’s elements and concepts that aren’t new to football. But the way we apply them and put them together and decide how much we use in the course of a game or a season — five step, three step, seven step, play action, RPOs, double options, triple options, downhill runs, all the audibles you can run, directional runs — all of that is part of it. I think we’re going to be in more elements than any team has ever been.”

Roman deletes page after page from the old playbook. He solicits Jackson’s input throughout the process of the overhaul. “It was all geared through a Lamar Jackson vision,” he says. He also said the Run game is the same, but the Passing offense is completely different and the offensive scheme is 30% new.

The article also confirmed he worked with the 3DQB group, headed by Adam Dedeaux and Tom House. In between, he spends hours and hours with Urban.
Wow, wow, wow! Those snippets sound like sweet music!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
another snippet from the article: ravens had baker mayfield as the number 1 qb but a month or so before the draft realised he would not be available when they were picking - lamar was clearly the leader in the clubhouse after that - sounds like he was their 2nd qb on the board but they also knew they could get him after the 16th/17th pick (or whatever it was we had that year)