• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I know this getting kinda old but i just watched another game and dam, our season really depends on lamar development.. you can see it from game to game that he was changing. The work ethic is there, seems like the intangibles are there...we just gotta hope he pulls something off

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know this getting kinda old but i just watched another game and dam, our season really depends on lamar development.. you can see it from game to game that he was changing. The work ethic is there, seems like the intangibles are there...we just gotta hope he pulls something off
He definitely looked like he was getting more and more comfortable as a passer. The chargers and browns games were his 2 best as a passer imo, the raiders game showed a lot of upside as a passer as well, but man he had so much poise in that first chargers game he looked like something special at times.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Thank you, Rich. You’re the fucking man

The work ethic is there, the attitude is there, and he is a hell of an athlete. We just need to hope that eventually Those attributes will produce a champion QB.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The work ethic is there, the attitude is there, and he is a hell of an athlete. We just need to hope that eventually Those attributes will produce a champion QB.
They're bound to. Everything I've heard or read about him has been about how he improves with every passing game and practice. So, it's only going to end in glory for the Ravens.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
They're bound to. Everything I've heard or read about him has been about how he improves with every passing game and practice. So, it's only going to end in glory for the Ravens.

When you go around the league every team says their young players are ready for a big jump to go to the next level. Heck we hear it about every young Raven every year.

If working hard were all it took James Hurst would be a Pro Bowler.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
When you go around the league every team says their young players are ready for a big jump to go to the next level. Heck we hear it about every young Raven every year.

Hearing about it and actually seeing it are two different things. A lot of people give Lamar flack for not being the most intelligent person in the locker room, but when he talks about football and is given a chance to be with his teammates, he begins to blossom and you see a true love for the game. I want my players to keep their heads up when they fail and have a desire to get better, that overcomes the hype and is what separates the gems from the busts, and I believe that Lamar has that quality in him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I expect Lamar to be a solid starter, I’ve tempered my expectations and don’t expect anything spectacular from him. He could win a super bowl one day, but I think he’s gonna need all the right pieces to do that. Mark Andrews has to continue and be the playmaker that Lamar can lean on to not only bail him out or give him easy throws, but also be a big playmaker, he’s gotta make plays like he made vs the chargers and raiders, Hayden hurst needs to be the H back type he’s capable of being, make key blocks and be a steady catcher of the ball, and if he can make plays with his athleticism that’s a plus. Hollywood needs to be consistently targeted deep because it’s key to opening up our whole offense, he just needs to always be a looming threat to the defense. Above all though, we have to build an OL, Lamar has deficiencies as far as pocket awareness(ball control) but also has a ton of things that really wow you with his pocket poise, but you can only ask so much from such a raw qb, if he isn’t able to feel comfortable in the pocket he’s gonna keep reverting back to the poor release and that’s gonna kill his development and potential. Along with that, we gotta be able to build a more traditional run game, because that will highlight Lamar’s abilities as a passer more than anything, boots and waggles will be huge for him, keeping him away from the interior rush and letting him threaten the edge, forcing CBs to play cautious and giving him easy throws that he can step into with ease.

random tangent I just went on, but we were talking about Lamar’s potential and our concerns with him, that’s my take.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well I wasn't quoting the Ravens brass sir. I was quoting his college coaches that no longer coach his old team - Louisville. Go back and do some independent research before making blanket statements about what I was alluding to. Sure each team props up its young and up and coming players to drive interest and traffic. With Lamar, despite all the hate directed towards him there is no disputing the fact that he is a very hard worker that has constantly improved game upon game right through college.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well I wasn't quoting the Ravens brass sir. I was quoting his college coaches that no longer coach his old team - Louisville. Go back and do some independent research before making blanket statements about what I was alluding to. Sure each team props up its young and up and coming players to drive interest and traffic. With Lamar, despite all the hate directed towards him there is no disputing the fact that he is a very hard worker that has constantly improved game upon game right through college.

I was not challenging that he is a hard worker, I do not doubt that for a moment (most Quarterbacks generally are). What I was doubting was the notion that hard work would be enough and that statements that he is making large leaps just strike me as standard hype.

If you are talking college coaches, why college coaches would know how he is growing during NFL I do not know, unless the practices you were referencing were his college practices, then I stand by my coaches hype their guys statement. College coaches in the press love hyping their people, for I assume recruitment purposes because outside of Mark Sanchez I have never seen a college coach say something bad about a player who went to the NFL.

My argument is not that he is not working hard, I just wonder if he is both working smart and if that will be enough.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I expect Lamar to be a solid starter, I’ve tempered my expectations and don’t expect anything spectacular from him. He could win a super bowl one day, but I think he’s gonna need all the right pieces to do that. Mark Andrews has to continue and be the playmaker that Lamar can lean on to not only bail him out or give him easy throws, but also be a big playmaker, he’s gotta make plays like he made vs the chargers and raiders, Hayden hurst needs to be the H back type he’s capable of being, make key blocks and be a steady catcher of the ball, and if he can make plays with his athleticism that’s a plus. Hollywood needs to be consistently targeted deep because it’s key to opening up our whole offense, he just needs to always be a looming threat to the defense. Above all though, we have to build an OL, Lamar has deficiencies as far as pocket awareness(ball control) but also has a ton of things that really wow you with his pocket poise, but you can only ask so much from such a raw qb, if he isn’t able to feel comfortable in the pocket he’s gonna keep reverting back to the poor release and that’s gonna kill his development and potential. Along with that, we gotta be able to build a more traditional run game, because that will highlight Lamar’s abilities as a passer more than anything, boots and waggles will be huge for him, keeping him away from the interior rush and letting him threaten the edge, forcing CBs to play cautious and giving him easy throws that he can step into with ease.

random tangent I just went on, but we were talking about Lamar’s potential and our concerns with him, that’s my take.
100% agree on the Line which is why I think we are a year away. I'm thinking next years draft/FA is where we take steps to solidify the O line.
My take on Brown is that he is going to be Tyreek Hill and Andrews will be Kelce. What I mean to say is that I am nearly positive that The Ravens will emulate the Chiefs and how they use Hill. He is constantly in motion...motion under then motion in orbit on the same play, constantly changing splits....almost always in motion somehow. Brown will have to prove himself capable of making plays first, but if he does, a defense will have no choice but to account for the fact that he might get open deep or that he MIGHT get the ball in space . He's going to scare people the way Hill does. I've been studying The chiefs and I can't believe how often a big play is a result of something Hill does to draw coverage/remove numbers from the box....Cullen will be impactful as we'll see more spread/college concepts along with WC

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I think we can all agree that, if nothing else, Lamar’s time in Baltimore will not be boring.

How long is excitement going to be enough if we don't win? I really hope Lamar is the answer. How much time is everyone willing to give him?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How long is excitement going to be enough if we don't win? I really hope Lamar is the answer. How much time is everyone willing to give him?

Personally for me it depends on what we see or course but I’d give him at least this year and next year before we start to think about replacing him if he doesn’t perform - basically until we have to start thinking about the 5th year option

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Basically what @rossihunter2 wrote.
But he needs to progress and develop as a passer. If not I'm all in on a 2021 qb i.e. Trevor Lawrence.
It's a passing league and running alone will not win you another SB and that's the ultimate goal.
I say 2 more seasons because that's when you learn the most, afterwards it's marginally.
As of now I cannot think of a scenario in which we'd be looking for Tua, Fromm...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
100% agree on the Line which is why I think we are a year away. I'm thinking next years draft/FA is where we take steps to solidify the O line.
My take on Brown is that he is going to be Tyreek Hill and Andrews will be Kelce. What I mean to say is that I am nearly positive that The Ravens will emulate the Chiefs and how they use Hill. He is constantly in motion...motion under then motion in orbit on the same play, constantly changing splits....almost always in motion somehow. Brown will have to prove himself capable of making plays first, but if he does, a defense will have no choice but to account for the fact that he might get open deep or that he MIGHT get the ball in space . He's going to scare people the way Hill does. I've been studying The chiefs and I can't believe how often a big play is a result of something Hill does to draw coverage/remove numbers from the box....Cullen will be impactful as we'll see more spread/college concepts along with WC
Amen!! Same shit i was saying.. we need to involve motion. It will keep the defense guessing and also give brown more opportunties while making it easier on lamar to read defenses..

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think we can all agree that, if nothing else, Lamar’s time in Baltimore will not be boring.
We always seem to have a polarizing QB lol