• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
another snippet from the article: ravens had baker mayfield as the number 1 qb but a month or so before the draft realised he would not be available when they were picking - lamar was clearly the leader in the clubhouse after that - sounds like he was their 2nd qb on the board but they also knew they could get him after the 16th/17th pick (or whatever it was we had that year)
True but neither Ray Lewis or Ed Reed were the choices they'd have made if other higher ranked players on their board were available too. So, sometimes there is glory in missing out!

purp

Practice Squad
i'm taking it all with a grain of salt, but i'm loving the reports of lamar improving because i'm starting to sense the hate people have for him is turning into fear. i'm so glad he's not letting all the negativity get to him, and he's just working hard to get better

Their hate turns to fear while our anxiety turns to excitement. If we continue on the current trajectory then I legitimately feel bad for Josh Rosen. Have a strong feeling he’s going to get the Nate Peterman treatment in his Dolphins debut at home. One my best friends from college is a Dolphins superfan and he won’t even talk about football these days. We absolutely own that team.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The videos that BR.com has been posting are showing some really good passes from Lamar, I tru not to read too much into it but that paired with his stadium practice... I’m feeling pretty good about Lamar’s development

The videos that BR.com has been posting are showing some really good passes from Lamar, I tru not to read too much into it but that paired with his stadium practice... I’m feeling pretty good about Lamar’s development

Yup, I was at the practice on Sunday and he was making the same kinda passes as what BR.com has been showing us. And like you, I try not to buy into the hype, but man is it hard not to.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yup, I was at the practice on Sunday and he was making the same kinda passes as what BR.com has been showing us. And like you, I try not to buy into the hype, but man is it hard not to.
The reason for me why it’s so hard to temper expectations is because we KNOW he only needs to be an average passer and complete like 15/23 and make maybe one of those a big play(which should come easy based on our scheme) to be a serious weapon.

On a lot of the highlight videos of Lamar throwing, the ball looks pretty wobbly. It gets where it needs to though, so I gotta ask you guys who have been watching this game much longer than me: does the wobble matter?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
On a lot of the highlight videos of Lamar throwing, the ball looks pretty wobbly. It gets where it needs to though, so I gotta ask you guys who have been watching this game much longer than me: does the wobble matter?

It makes the catch a little harder and it also slows the speed of the football down. As far as accuracy its still the same imo.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In strong winds the nose will catch the wind and sail away, on deep hangtime passes the wobble usually gets out of control at the arc.

purp

Practice Squad
It makes the catch a little harder and it also slows the speed of the football down. As far as accuracy its still the same imo.

Which is why it was very smart to get pass catchers with big catch radius and/or the ability to separate.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Like Joey said, definitely not good in bad weather/wind.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Wo
wobble matters alot like someone punting the ball to you lol

Thanks for the answers guys. I understand the aerodynamics part of it - what i should have asked is: is there a history of QBs who come into the league with wobbly passes either learning to fix it or having success despite it? How severe is Jackson's wobble? In highlight videos, both RG3 and McSorley have tighter spirals than Lamar.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the answers guys. I understand the aerodynamics part of it - what i should have asked is: is there a history of QBs who come into the league with wobbly passes either learning to fix it or having success despite it? How severe is Jackson's wobble? In highlight videos, both RG3 and McSorley have tighter spirals than Lamar.
Jimmy clauses, jake delhomme and Tim Tebow are the three most famous examples of QBs who had not thrown great spirals (unfortunately) Kurt Warner however was the other one, but I remember an interview or a video about it— when he could get the right grip he had one of the best toughest spirals in the game but when he couldn’t or was rushed he would throw wobbles...

Now this last part is only pure speculation, but Kurt was good in a dome both times.. when he sucked? He was in New York. Of course the domes were only 9-10/16 games a year, (and this would be something fun I might look into more later) but I’m very curious if the lack of wind really helped him (or more so if wind hurt him??) Other than that, almost every nfl QBs had a tight zip that I can think of.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jimmy clauses, jake delhomme and Tim Tebow are the three most famous examples of QBs who had not thrown great spirals (unfortunately) Kurt Warner however was the other one, but I remember an interview or a video about it— when he could get the right grip he had one of the best toughest spirals in the game but when he couldn’t or was rushed he would throw wobbles...

Now this last part is only pure speculation, but Kurt was good in a dome both times.. when he sucked? He was in New York. Of course the domes were only 9-10/16 games a year, (and this would be something fun I might look into more later) but I’m very curious if the lack of wind really helped him (or more so if wind hurt him??) Other than that, almost every nfl QBs had a tight zip that I can think of.
Billy Kilmer never through a spiral