• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/late-for-work-10-18-predictions-for-ravens-vs-seahawks

“For a quarterback who runs as frequently as Jackson does, though, he has become a wizard at not getting hit,” Barnwell wrote. “Take his 69 runs. Ten of them aren't actually running plays at all; they're kneel-downs, bad snaps and bad handoffs, all of which get credited as quarterback runs. Of the other 59 runs, Jackson was brought down by an opposing player only 32 times. He either dove forward, scored a touchdown standing up or ran out of bounds without going down on nearly 46 percent of his runs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We have already seen on multiple occasions where Lamar will put the throw in a place where his receiver has to adjust to the ball, BUT it actually aids his receiver by moving him away from the coverage and a big hit, and maybe some YAC.
I can recall a Boykin TD and multiple Andrews connections.
I think that says ALOT about how fast Lamar processes what he sees and his talent as a passer.

Sometimes during the games this season, we have all seen him make some overthrows and gasp, "CRAP", that was a touchdown!...
But, I will comment that those throws aren't sailing into defenders hands...they are where only HIS guy can make a play or nobody does.
I will say that is pretty impressive for a 22 year old.
I really think he is on the cusp of developing that chemistry with his receivers where they will know what he is thinking and will know, in an instant, where to go and trust him to make that throw.
“They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar

the thing that i sometimes forget is how young the receivers on this team are at both TE/WR (or not young in hurst's case but green) - they also need to develop and learn and adjust to how lamar sees and reads coverages so that they can instinctively read the defender the same way and react - ive seen boykin do it a couple of times and ive seen andrews do it a little also

He would do himself and the Bronco's a favor and just retire. He totally looked like he didn't care one bit.
Well, Flacco honestly has looked like he hasn't cared for a while. My sister-in-law used to say at times during his final years with the Ravens, he looks like he'd rather be home making pancakes for his kids lol.

When things are going seriously south as they were last night, it is easy to take Joe's "poker face" (or however you want to describe it) as non-caring, so it is always hard to tell. He was pumped the game that they drove for what could have been a game winning drive (vs Jax, I think), but was answered by a game closing FG. Last night - I think especially because he felt guaranteed he was going to get whacked on every drop back to throw, he was like "what's the point"?

We've made excuses for Joe in the past, but man, last night his time to throw was as low as I've ever seen it. It wasn't holding the ball too long, it was just that the D line was hitting him when he was still on his first read. Of course, his ball security and pocket awareness was as bad as ever, but no QB was going to succeed in that environment.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, Flacco honestly has looked like he hasn't cared for a while. My sister-in-law used to say at times during his final years with the Ravens, he looks like he'd rather be home making pancakes for his kids lol.

When things are going seriously south as they were last night, it is easy to take Joe's "poker face" (or however you want to describe it) as non-caring, so it is always hard to tell. He was pumped the game that they drove for what could have been a game winning drive (vs Jax, I think), but was answered by a game closing FG. Last night - I think especially because he felt guaranteed he was going to get whacked on every drop back to throw, he was like "what's the point"?

We've made excuses for Joe in the past, but man, last night his time to throw was as low as I've ever seen it. It wasn't holding the ball too long, it was just that the D line was hitting him when he was still on his first read. Of course, his ball security and pocket awareness was as bad as ever, but no QB was going to succeed in that environment.
I have a feeling Lamar would've fared better with that kind of duress. I saw a stat line somewhere that distinguished players on their passer rating differential between a stressed pocket to a clean one. I think Lamar was third in the league with the low differential. Very telling stat indeed.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I have a feeling Lamar would've fared better with that kind of duress. I saw a stat line somewhere that distinguished players on their passer rating differential between a stressed pocket to a clean one. I think Lamar was third in the league with the low differential. Very telling stat indeed.
Yep and the rating wasn't bad at all 90% and 98% respectively.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I think Joe's age and injuries have slowed his mobility significantly. He used to be underrated in terms of his ability to move around in the pocket and his mobility in general.

Also, simply put, when you hit a QB that many times, you're going to get them right where you want them. Go back to 2014, Joe is having a career year but at Pittsburgh it seemed like he got hit on every drop back and eventually it seemed like he was seeing ghosts. That's what pressure just does to a QB. Does not matter who's taking snaps under center, you hit them as many times as that and they're going to feel like they're feeling pressure on every snap. It might be stating the obvious but that's just what it is.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
  • Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 3m3 minutes ago

Judon on his QB: "Man, Lamar is an incredible talent that we have, and he’s a weapon. We utilize him such. As long as he’s around, as long as he can do the things that he can do, it’s going to be hard for teams to game plan against that. It’s really hard.”

Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 5m5 minutes ago

• Humphrey on Lamar Jackson's anger after delay of game: "I felt like from there, there was something different that came out of Lamar. He gets the first down and gets up pumped. That’s a QB I really like to see." Said his outburst fired up whole team.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
from RSR

Lamar Passing Chart Week 7: Encouraging Trends that Stats Won't Show

pass-chart_JAC323395_2019-reg-7_1571614608927.jpeg

Two things need to be said right off the bat. Lamar, and specifically, his legs are 1/2 the reason we won yesterday. The other half is his leadership and drive to be great. Lamar single handedly put the team on his back and willed a victory. Take him out of the equation, and we don't score enough on offense to win. Whatever happens in his career, he's a leader and a winner at heart.

That being said, on a day where the weather and his receivers weren't playing in his favor, and where, statistically speaking, he didn't pass the ball "well," take a look at the chart above. 10% of his passes were 20 yards or more, with one more just close to the line. We also have completions of 28 and 47 yards in the air. The spread is pretty even to the left and right, without much emphasis on the middle. He did everything we would have asked of him, including throwing the ball deeper and using the left side of the field, which he has done so often, it honestly shouldn't be a surprise or something we want to see more of anymore. The weather wasn't favorable and it lead to a lot more drops, but we started to get back to what makes this a more successful passing attack. If Boykin can continue to be a deep threat, we might be on to something big once Hollywood gets back. I'd like to chalk Andrews up to a bad game due to the rain, but it's worth watching to see if he recovers or if he starts to develop the yips.

Even though it was not the most pivotal play of the game (since it was only 2nd and 6) I think that was my favorite play of the game. That play was absolutely DOA. Thankfully Ingram got enough of Clowney to give Lamar a chance and Lamar took it from there.

I dare say there isn't a QB in the league - not a healthy Mahomes, not Watson, not Murray ... who could have gotten out of that pickle. That's a 6 yard loss and a 3rd and 12 coming up for any other team in the league. 3 guys in front of him and no help and he gets by them all and picks up 12 and a 1st down. Absolutely jaw dropping.

from RSR

Lamar Passing Chart Week 7: Encouraging Trends that Stats Won't Show

pass-chart_JAC323395_2019-reg-7_1571614608927.jpeg

Two things need to be said right off the bat. Lamar, and specifically, his legs are 1/2 the reason we won yesterday. The other half is his leadership and drive to be great. Lamar single handedly put the team on his back and willed a victory. Take him out of the equation, and we don't score enough on offense to win. Whatever happens in his career, he's a leader and a winner at heart.

That being said, on a day where the weather and his receivers weren't playing in his favor, and where, statistically speaking, he didn't pass the ball "well," take a look at the chart above. 10% of his passes were 20 yards or more, with one more just close to the line. We also have completions of 28 and 47 yards in the air. The spread is pretty even to the left and right, without much emphasis on the middle. He did everything we would have asked of him, including throwing the ball deeper and using the left side of the field, which he has done so often, it honestly shouldn't be a surprise or something we want to see more of anymore. The weather wasn't favorable and it lead to a lot more drops, but we started to get back to what makes this a more successful passing attack. If Boykin can continue to be a deep threat, we might be on to something big once Hollywood gets back. I'd like to chalk Andrews up to a bad game due to the rain, but it's worth watching to see if he recovers or if he starts to develop the yips.
Yeah - some people will look at the passing stat line and judge accordingly. They'll conveniently ignore his rushing yards (reciting the mantra of his detractors ... "that isn't sustainable") but they will miss the most important part of it all - its what you said about his leadership, heart and the fact that he willed this victory.

We need Hollywood back - he helps the pass game immensely. What I do find a little puzzling is the absolute disappearance of Snead. What this receiving corps needs is a veteran steady hand and that just seems to be missing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah - some people will look at the passing stat line and judge accordingly. They'll conveniently ignore his rushing yards (reciting the mantra of his detractors ... "that isn't sustainable") but they will miss the most important part of it all - its what you said about his leadership, heart and the fact that he willed this victory.

We need Hollywood back - he helps the pass game immensely. What I do find a little puzzling is the absolute disappearance of Snead. What this receiving corps needs is a veteran steady hand and that just seems to be missing.
yes, I've been very disappointed with Snead. He was a player I wanted to extend, but at this point I feel no need to do so, unless he has a miraculous turnaround after the bye week.

I want to say something about the notion that what Lamar is doing isn't sustainable. What he was doing last year was definitely not. We ran infinitely more designed runs for him last year than this year. Carroll said it - Lamar killed us, not so much on the designed runs but on the plays where he dropped back and broke the pocket and took off.

Our opponents secondary are going to start having eyes in the backfield and we'll need to see more strikes like the one we had early to Boykin. However, if they leave Lamar the field - why should he throw and risk an incomplete pass when a 100% sure first down is laying right in front of him?

Is this game sustainable? No, it is not. By the time he's 30, he won't be able to run like that. However 8 years is ample time to work on his passing game lol