• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It should also be pointed out that Lamar has a somewhat limited receiving corps. This offense is clicking with (at times) Boykin and Snead starting outside.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I realized that for some reason in certain passing situations, I have a built in sense of nervous dread almost about what might happen. I don't know if I have been somehow influenced by the naysayers subconsciously and have bought in to the notion that at any moment, the other shoe might drop. Or I am so used to having that same feeling watching the offense under Flacco over the recent past.

In any case I am done with that. Lamar has got it. he knows what he's seeing. He is learning all the time. he makes good decisions generally and man is he exciting.

i think that's a great way of putting it - he doesnt get hood-winked by defences and what they're trying to disguise and put on him - i dont worry about that stuff - my only worries on high leverage passing downs is normally 2 things - 1) will a receiver get open 2) will lamar hit him

and more often than not this year when 1 happens, 2 happens - the problem has sometimes been when 1 hasnt happened

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It should also be pointed out that Lamar has a somewhat limited receiving corps. This offense is clicking with (at times) Boykin and Snead starting outside.

we'll see how boykin develops moving forwards next year but we're looking at Hollywood, Boykin and Snead as our wrs for next year - i think we're one wideout short - some were hoping that guy would be jaleel scott or chris moore or even seth roberts but those guys havent been doing it

i dont think its completely out of the question we draft another receiver with a decent pick next year also or maybe go and try and find one in free agency because our only 2 offensive free agents are chris moore and seth roberts (so we'll have to add some receivers next offseason - its just where do they come from)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think that's a great way of putting it - he doesnt get hood-winked by defences and what they're trying to disguise and put on him - i dont worry about that stuff - my only worries on high leverage passing downs is normally 2 things - 1) will a receiver get open 2) will lamar hit him

and more often than not this year when 1 happens, 2 happens - the problem has sometimes been when 1 hasnt happened
Spot on. WR's not getting a lot of separation on their own.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
we'll see how boykin develops moving forwards next year but we're looking at Hollywood, Boykin and Snead as our wrs for next year - i think we're one wideout short - some were hoping that guy would be jaleel scott or chris moore or even seth roberts but those guys havent been doing it

i dont think its completely out of the question we draft another receiver with a decent pick next year also or maybe go and try and find one in free agency because our only 2 offensive free agents are chris moore and seth roberts (so we'll have to add some receivers next offseason - its just where do they come from)
Absolutely need another WR. Someone versatile in their routes that really challenges a defense one way or another.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Absolutely need another WR. Someone versatile in their routes that really challenges a defense one way or another.

exactly - just have to find a guy from somewhere who can win 1v1 without help - at the moment the only guys who do that on this team are hollywood and andrews

boykin has shown the sporadic ability to absolutely wreck a corner but it's inconsistent, willie snead is willie snead and hayden and boyle work well within the scheme but they are guys who need the scheme in order to win

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
just went back and watched the inside ozzie's last draft with the calls to hayden and lamar and there's this moment while marty's talking to lamar that steve bisciotti comes over to ozzie and has this massive shit-eating furtive grin and you can tell he's pumped because he and ozzie both know they've just hood-winked the whole nfl

steve said we should take lamar at the 16th pick and Eric was the one who said be patient and we ended up with both lamar and hayden

I would say that we should’ve just taken him at 16, but the end result would’ve been the same but without hurst, because I know for a fact we would’ve taken Ferguson at our 2nd round pick this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would say that we should’ve just taken him at 16, but the end result would’ve been the same but without hurst, because I know for a fact we would’ve taken Ferguson at our 2nd round pick this year.
not sure about that. They were seriously interested in Ford, but even if he was gone i could have seen them taking Chase Winovich. He did go to Michigan with Jim Harbaugh. I'm sure we had some good intel on him. That being said, Ferguson was here for a couple visits, so it's possible.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

With this draft class I think we’re definitely getting a guy day 2, and it’s even entirely possible we get a guy day one, if someone like ceedee lamb falls he would be a raven, guaranteed, he’s been mocked in late 1 lately but I just don’t see him falling that far. Higgins might end up available there but I’m not sure I like him.
nah EDC was looking to try and go get cody ford - would have gone after him if we had a 2nd round pick this year
That would’ve been a hell of a pickup and I’d much prefer Lamar at 25(after the trade back), some second rounder last year, and Cody ford. Like goddamn imagine if we got Lamar, Connor Williams/Jessie bates/Anthony miller(who im still high on) and still got the likes of andrews and Zeus, then in 19 we’d still have our 2nd and get mecole Hardman or Ford... goddamn we could’ve been the most loaded young roster in the league if not for hurst

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With this draft class I think we’re definitely getting a guy day 2, and it’s even entirely possible we get a guy day one, if someone like ceedee lamb falls he would be a raven, guaranteed, he’s been mocked in late 1 lately but I just don’t see him falling that far. Higgins might end up available there but I’m not sure I like him.

That would’ve been a hell of a pickup and I’d much prefer Lamar at 25(after the trade back), some second rounder last year, and Cody ford. Like goddamn imagine if we got Lamar, Connor Williams/Jessie bates/Anthony miller(who im still high on) and still got the likes of andrews and Zeus, then in 19 we’d still have our 2nd and get mecole Hardman or Ford... goddamn we could’ve been the most loaded young roster in the league if not for hurst

we also wouldnt be able to run our offence as it looks currently because we wouldnt have the pieces at tight end - hayden hurst hasnt played like a first round pick but that doesnt make his role in our offence any less crucial - hes an incredibly important part of our pistol diamond formation among many other things as a blocker and a pass catcher

Tank

Hall of Famer
we also wouldnt be able to run our offence as it looks currently because we wouldnt have the pieces at tight end - hayden hurst hasnt played like a first round pick but that doesnt make his role in our offence any less crucial - hes an incredibly important part of our pistol diamond formation among many other things as a blocker and a pass catcher

Not sure if it's fair to say Hurst "hasn't played like a first round pick". While he's definitely not there I think it may be more of a case that he lost a lot of ground last year when injured, Andrews has really stood out and connected with LJ, and Hayden hasn't really been used in the capacity where he can live up to the expectations. I still think he can maybe be the guy if need be.

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

091617_MFB_SmithDe_ColoradoState_KG1601.jpg

Thank you very much.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
091617_MFB_SmithDe_ColoradoState_KG1601.jpg

Thank you very much.
He's a speedy guy but needs to polish his routes and has his share of drops. It's easy for him to look good when there's also Ruggs and Jeudy on the field. We can't have 2 WR with thin frames in our heavy run scheme.
CeeDee Lamb will be available because he's not a 4.3 guy and I see Reagor (TCU) ahead of him because all teams are looking at the Chiefs and see how Hill's speed kills secondaries every week.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He's a speedy guy but needs to polish his routes and has his share of drops. It's easy for him to look good when there's also Ruggs and Jeudy on the field. We can't have 2 WR with thin frames in our heavy run scheme.
CeeDee Lamb will be available because he's not a 4.3 guy and I see Reagor (TCU) ahead of him because all teams are looking at the Chiefs and see how Hill's speed kills secondaries every week.
I'd argue he is the best route runner of them all. At least on par with #4 in that department. I also don't remember many dropped balls by Smith.

purp

Practice Squad

To this day I still have nightmares about the Polamalu blitz that Joe did nothing about pre-snap. That play was telegraphed a mile away and the man just let Troy posterize him. Ugh.

I imagine that play with Lamar and that’s probably a hot read first down to Andrews. It’s a new day in Baltimore.