• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lamar when he sees defenders in the open space:
CqWtfrfUEAAjI4c
lmaooo.. you not lying

purp

Practice Squad
Just watched it and yes it was better to see the second time. Just amazing.

The most incredible thing about that play is not the juke that makes Geno miss but it’s the move he makes before.

Lamar sees Geno coming so he actually slides left into his way to make Atkins commit to that angle then slides back to where he was originally standing to make him miss.

Lamar is processing the physical aspect of the game in year 2 better than most players ever will.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
agree he has great footwork in the pocket to avoid pressure. Amazing pocket awareness and his ability to read a defense in his first year starting is absolutely insane.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Lamar was wearing the shades because HE IS the Terminator. He was sent here from the future to destroy NFL defenses and to end the Patriots' reign. It's the only reasonable explanation for why he's so good at only 22 years old.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont know though - urban's key to lamar improving as a qb but is there another coordinator in the league who can and has ever run a scheme like this in the nfl?
no and I agree, Roman is the most important key to Lamar's early success. I stress "early" success because I don't believe he is a "system" QB and feel he would be fine in another system, like the one he ran in college was the EP system with some spread, actually he'd be fine in WCO and Air Coryell also with some added spread. I'd just like Roman to stick around a few years before he is poached.

Tank

Hall of Famer
i dont know though - urban's key to lamar improving as a qb but is there another coordinator in the league who can and has ever run a scheme like this in the nfl?

no and I agree, Roman is the most important key to Lamar's early success. I stress "early" success because I don't believe he is a "system" QB and feel he would be fine in another system, like the one he ran in college was the EP system with some spread, actually he'd be fine in WCO and Air Coryell also with some added spread. I'd just like Roman to stick around a few years before he is poached.

Agree that Roman's scheme is greatly responsible for the offense's success and would hate to see him leave. But just as I originally said if I had the choice I'd rather lose him than Urban and his long term tutelage of LJ.

purp

Practice Squad
Agree that Roman's scheme is greatly responsible for the offense's success and would hate to see him leave. But just as I originally said if I had the choice I'd rather lose him than Urban and his long term tutelage of LJ.

I think now that there’s a track record of success, any OC we brought in would have to flex to his skills, however I do hope we get at least one more year of Roman.

By year 4 it’s not going to matter who the coordinator is. Lamar Jackson is more like Peyton Manning than he is like Michael Vick. He is the system. Just needs enough experience in the league to have an extensive understanding of what plays work for him. Think he’s about a year away from that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont think we're under threat of losing james urban right now
the only way we could lose James Urban would be if GRo is hired as HC and he takes James Urban with him as OC. Other than that, we'd be able to block the lateral move.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the only way we could lose James Urban would be if GRo is hired as HC and he takes James Urban with him as OC. Other than that, we'd be able to block the lateral move.

yeah agreed - i dont know that he would get picked up by a team for playcalling duties other than if Roman moves on - and if that's the case it may be that Urban would be the next man up here - who knows

no point really thinking about it until we get to january

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Not gonna lie.. your ass been spot on like the last 4 months lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right and I didn't suggest we were. My point remains that Urban is more valuable to the development of LJ, and ultimately the team, than Roman.

but i think that's undervaluing the importance of building an offence around your qb - in a sense every qb is a system quarterback because if you're building an offence right then you should be building it around the strengths of the player who touches the ball on every snap - we are running a scheme here that's never been run in the nfl before with a playbook that's enormous (per yanda) and an incredibly diverse running game that's pretty complex - if roman goes those things all leave - normally there's multiple coordinators in the league for each system but there's no one else in the league who runs an offence that looks or feels anything like what we run here - now maybe that's not the case in a year's time but there's no one outside of the building who can run the offensive system we have in place - so if we get someone new from outside the system changes or the OC has to adapt to a new system

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Per Sports Info Solutions, Jackson has attempted 240 passes from the pocket this season, completing 134 for 1,611 yards, 10 touchdowns and five interceptions, and a passer rating of 95.9. This season, Jackson has more attempts from the pocket than Kirk Cousins, Mitchell Trubisky or Josh Allen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
but i think that's undervaluing the importance of building an offence around your qb - in a sense every qb is a system quarterback because if you're building an offence right then you should be building it around the strengths of the player who touches the ball on every snap - we are running a scheme here that's never been run in the nfl before with a playbook that's enormous (per yanda) and an incredibly diverse running game that's pretty complex - if roman goes those things all leave - normally there's multiple coordinators in the league for each system but there's no one else in the league who runs an offence that looks or feels anything like what we run here - now maybe that's not the case in a year's time but there's no one outside of the building who can run the offensive system we have in place - so if we get someone new from outside the system changes or the OC has to adapt to a new system
My definition of a system QB is that they can't operate out of that system. Sure we are using his strengths the most in Roman's system, but I have no doubt he can operate in any spread offense as well. Roman is doing a fantastic job using LJ's legs and not trying to put him in a box.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
GRo "You Wish we could make a documentary so you could see Lamar and how he prepares every week for the upcoming game"

WE have no idea how good we have it here and what I mean by that is it's going to get A LOT better from here on out. Better than we can ever imagine. Brady, you won your last SB last year!