• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

I dnt think #1 seed matters for us tbh.. have you seen our games? Other than maybe titans, i dnt idk if we can beat anyone.maybe pats too cause i dnt see us losing to mac jones
You'd be so pissed if the coaches played scared like this. What happened to "play like a Raven?"

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You'd be so pissed if the coaches played scared like this. What happened to "play like a Raven?"
Cant play like a raven if all the ravens on ir..Right now, we gonna have to play it safe lol.. wink may not even blitz as much without hump out there.. finally might see something different outta wink since he is forced to do so..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I truly don't think Elliott is a big loss, at all, and if Peters can even return to 80% of normal, he's at least on par with Averrett, in my opinion, but with more turnovers.

I'd honestly like to see a fair bit of turnover on defense, but hopefully not at the expense of giving Lamar a little OL help.
Right but the issues are a) Peters is very expensive next year, and you won't know what he can return to until he does and b) I'm not expecting a lot of turnover on the OL, unless we let Bozeman walk and/or Stanley is unable to make it back.

I don't think they'll add a body on the interior unless its a new Center (we've drafted three Guards fairly high in the last three years), and I think they'll look to add a Tackle or two, but I'm not sure it'll be as starters. They'll bring Mekari back, who they clearly like, and they'll likely get James back, who I think they're banking on starting next year.

Stanley and Bozeman are the two wildcards at this point.

It's entirely conceivable that if Stanley comes back healthy, and Bozeman is re-signed, the starting Oline for next year is 5 players already on the team right now. At that point, I'm not sure they'll add anything other than depth at Tackle or maybe somebody to compete for the RT job.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk why peters wouldn’t be back. Ellliott is fair but I think Brandon Stephens is a player, if we saw the leaps in improvement we saw from Elliott idk why we shouldn’t expect the same from Stephens who has shown A LOT of really quality things over a pretty huge sample size. Then you’re really just banking on young guys improving, oweh, madubuike, and queen are guys you’re gonna be counting on and that’s every team every year, you just have no choice usually but to count on young players you’ve made big investments in.
Peters is very expensive next year, and coming off a major injury. It will likely depend on how the FO prioritizes him vs Averett. If you're brining Peters back, he likely needs an extension in order to do that, which may not be something they're interested in.

The status of Peters, Averett and Young is maybe the biggest offseason storyline for this team, alongside whether Stanley can return.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Peters is very expensive next year, and coming off a major injury. It will likely depend on how the FO prioritizes him vs Averett. If you're brining Peters back, he likely needs an extension in order to do that, which may not be something they're interested in.

The status of Peters, Averett and Young is maybe the biggest offseason storyline for this team, alongside whether Stanley can return.

i think what happens with those guys might largely depend on what the salary cap numbers look like but i dont think an extension for peters is out of the question at all

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Right but the issues are a) Peters is very expensive next year, and you won't know what he can return to until he does and b) I'm not expecting a lot of turnover on the OL, unless we let Bozeman walk and/or Stanley is unable to make it back.

I don't think they'll add a body on the interior unless its a new Center (we've drafted three Guards fairly high in the last three years), and I think they'll look to add a Tackle or two, but I'm not sure it'll be as starters. They'll bring Mekari back, who they clearly like, and they'll likely get James back, who I think they're banking on starting next year.

It's entirely conceivable that if Stanley comes back healthy, and Bozeman is re-signed, the starting Oline for next year is 5 players already on the team right now. At that point, I'm not sure they'll add anything other than depth at Tackle or maybe somebody to compete for the RT job.
Juan james played 3 games in 3 seasons.. there is no way we should be hoping for him to start. Even if he does, its likely he will trash for most of season.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It’s more the smarts of the coaches and the defense. Bill runs a blitz heavy scheme for years, he sees it from more angles than wink or harbs can, he knows the tricks, and we don’t.
I remember bill running a cover 1 alot but not as much blitz heavy.. regardless though if they play us they will blitz heavy and we probably will struggle to get around it

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Juan james played 3 games in 3 seasons.. there is no way we should be hoping for him to start. Even if he does, its likely he will trash for most of season.
Well Ronnie Stanley is going to be 18+ months removed from playing in a game also essentially. And we're certainly not going to be throwing in the towel on him. We're not going to have the luxury to replace like 8-9 starters in one offseason.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

If we're not sure how Peters will come back until he does, the same goes for Stanley (who has been out longer) and doubly so for James who has played zero snaps the last two years and just three in the past three years.

I'd read a rumor (can't confirm or deny, but I'd imagine it was true based on how the team was shaping up) that the Ravens very heavily considered trading up for Christian Darrisaw as he was the last tackle that teams viewed as worth a higher pick. Obviously they didn't, but I don't think the Ravens were oblivious to their need to have depth at both tackle spots.

And clearly it's very difficult to fill every single position in a single offseason, but I don't think the Ravens are watching this season and feeling comfortable moving into next season with what's on the roster for the OL. I think the Ravens will look very heavily at a tackle. Ideal scenario, in my eyes, is that Bozeman is re-signed, Stanley comes back remotely healthy, and the Ravens draft or sign a competent tackle. That gives insurance for Stanley (assuming the Ravens take a LT prospect), pushes Mekari to LG (assuming the Ravens keep Roman as would be expected, I'm not sold on Cleveland at LG since Roman loves to pull the LG so much and Cleveland isn't a mover), and gives the Ravens a cheap player at RT for many years.

That's a lot of what ifs, but that's just my thoughts for that. I do think the Ravens should highly prioritize a tackle if they're going to re-sign Lamar (and they will) because you wanna protect your investment.

As for Peters, we've seen the secondary is drastically better with him. The cap is expected to go WAY up next year. The Ravens could afford to pay him and see how he returns, or they could maybe just extend him. I think the Ravens clearly love Peters, so if they're confident in his recovery, that would seem to be in play.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we're not sure how Peters will come back until he does, the same goes for Stanley (who has been out longer) and doubly so for James who has played zero snaps the last two years and just three in the past three years.

I'd read a rumor (can't confirm or deny, but I'd imagine it was true based on how the team was shaping up) that the Ravens very heavily considered trading up for Christian Darrisaw as he was the last tackle that teams viewed as worth a higher pick. Obviously they didn't, but I don't think the Ravens were oblivious to their need to have depth at both tackle spots.

And clearly it's very difficult to fill every single position in a single offseason, but I don't think the Ravens are watching this season and feeling comfortable moving into next season with what's on the roster for the OL. I think the Ravens will look very heavily at a tackle. Ideal scenario, in my eyes, is that Bozeman is re-signed, Stanley comes back remotely healthy, and the Ravens draft or sign a competent tackle. That gives insurance for Stanley (assuming the Ravens take a LT prospect), pushes Mekari to LG (assuming the Ravens keep Roman as would be expected, I'm not sold on Cleveland at LG since Roman loves to pull the LG so much and Cleveland isn't a mover), and gives the Ravens a cheap player at RT for many years.

That's a lot of what ifs, but that's just my thoughts for that. I do think the Ravens should highly prioritize a tackle if they're going to re-sign Lamar (and they will) because you wanna protect your investment.

As for Peters, we've seen the secondary is drastically better with him. The cap is expected to go WAY up next year. The Ravens could afford to pay him and see how he returns, or they could maybe just extend him. I think the Ravens clearly love Peters, so if they're confident in his recovery, that would seem to be in play.
1. I would imagine a lot of teams wanted to trade up for Darrishaw, because he's a great player. But I'm not going down that rabbit hole.
2. I fully expect us to add a Tackle or two. I think the difference is people just assuming its going to be a Starter, OR, that it's going to be a high draft pick (i.e. first rounder). I don't. I see no scenario possible where the Ravens go into the draft saying they have to find a starting RT. They paid JuWuan James this year because, when healthy, he's a well above average RT, and because they expect him to compete for that job this coming offseason. And I think they like Mekari in that spot, because he's played well there when he's been out there.
Depth is an issue, and they know that. But depth could also come in the form of a day 2 or even day 3 draft pick. If anything, they may go the Villaneuva-type route again, trying to get a cheaper veteran.
However, this is all predicated on if Stanley is back. They're not going to find "depth" at LT. It doesn't really exist in this league. Most teams have a hard enough time finding a competent LT, let alone a high quality starter, and certainly not much in the way of "depth". If they think Stanley can't come back, LT becomes a huge priority. Hopefully that's not the case.
3. As for Guard, I can't imagine they'll make an investment there. They're already paying Zeitler pretty well, and they've drafted Cleveland, Phillips and Powers in the last three years. I fully expect one of those guys to be the starting LG. Phillips seemed to be the guy they preferred there coming into the season, but injuries forced him outside. Just can't see the FO basically deciding that none of these guys are the option.
4. There is a general thought process within the league that interior pass protection is more critical to Lamar than Tackle pass protection, due to the way Lamar plays in the pocket and his ability to scramble in and out of it. I'm not entirely sold, but the focus of the offseason was on beefing up the interior, not the outside, and I think there's a reason for that. They just weren't expecting so many injuries at Tackle.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think what happens with those guys might largely depend on what the salary cap numbers look like but i dont think an extension for peters is out of the question at all
I believe the salary cap is going to be 208m and something that will play into this is what happens with the Earl Thomas issue.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. I would imagine a lot of teams wanted to trade up for Darrishaw, because he's a great player. But I'm not going down that rabbit hole.
2. I fully expect us to add a Tackle or two. I think the difference is people just assuming its going to be a Starter, OR, that it's going to be a high draft pick (i.e. first rounder). I don't. I see no scenario possible where the Ravens go into the draft saying they have to find a starting RT. They paid JuWuan James this year because, when healthy, he's a well above average RT, and because they expect him to compete for that job this coming offseason. And I think they like Mekari in that spot, because he's played well there when he's been out there.
Depth is an issue, and they know that. But depth could also come in the form of a day 2 or even day 3 draft pick. If anything, they may go the Villaneuva-type route again, trying to get a cheaper veteran.
However, this is all predicated on if Stanley is back. They're not going to find "depth" at LT. It doesn't really exist in this league. Most teams have a hard enough time finding a competent LT, let alone a high quality starter, and certainly not much in the way of "depth". If they think Stanley can't come back, LT becomes a huge priority. Hopefully that's not the case.
3. As for Guard, I can't imagine they'll make an investment there. They're already paying Zeitler pretty well, and they've drafted Cleveland, Phillips and Powers in the last three years. I fully expect one of those guys to be the starting LG. Phillips seemed to be the guy they preferred there coming into the season, but injuries forced him outside. Just can't see the FO basically deciding that none of these guys are the option.
4. There is a general thought process within the league that interior pass protection is more critical to Lamar than Tackle pass protection, due to the way Lamar plays in the pocket and his ability to scramble in and out of it. I'm not entirely sold, but the focus of the offseason was on beefing up the interior, not the outside, and I think there's a reason for that. They just weren't expecting so many injuries at Tackle.

Highly, highly disagree. Your OL is the number 1 priority. If you don't improve there, you won't progress. Lamar absolutely cannot get sacked 7 times. 7! That's ridiculous. JuWan James is never healthy. Think I saw it somewhere where he's only played like 3 snaps in 3 years. That's a lot to "hope" for in terms of health from a guy like that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i dont think the ravens were looking to trade up for darrisaw but they were certainly hoping he'd fall to them

in terms of the OL - there's no way that Mekari is the starting LG next year - it'll be tyre or cleveland or powers again - all 3 of those guys are pretty fine pulling - powers for sure has been a good puller this year (one of the better elements of his play especially in the redzone)

but certainly the ravens should be looking at tackle - best case whoever they bring in gets to sit behind stanley and james for a year and takes over in year 2 but worst case you've got some tackle cover with pedigree (and mekari too)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Highly, highly disagree. Your OL is the number 1 priority. If you don't improve there, you won't progress. Lamar absolutely cannot get sacked 7 times. 7! That's ridiculous. JuWan James is never healthy. Think I saw it somewhere where he's only played like 3 snaps in 3 years. That's a lot to "hope" for in terms of health from a guy like that.
OK, but 7 sacks also isn't the norm, and we're not accounting for how many of those sacks are largely going to fall on Lamar instead of the protection. There's a lot of ways a QB can get sacked with sufficient protection up front.
Lamar is notorious for this.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, but 7 sacks also isn't the norm, and we're not accounting for how many of those sacks are largely going to fall on Lamar instead of the protection. There's a lot of ways a QB can get sacked with sufficient protection up front.
Lamar is notorious for this.

Come on man, don't pretend like this line hasn't been a major issue for us for the past year. Lamar bails them out a lot too with his mobility.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well Ronnie Stanley is going to be 18+ months removed from playing in a game also essentially. And we're certainly not going to be throwing in the towel on him. We're not going to have the luxury to replace like 8-9 starters in one offseason.
Wouldnt be surprised if we came close lol.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe the salary cap is going to be 208m and something that will play into this is what happens with the Earl Thomas issue.
Agreed.

What I DON'T want to see is us backload the crap out of Lamar's deal, assuming he get's one. If he's going to be signing a $40M a year deal, I would certainly hope is year 1 cap hit is at least $30M, or possibly more. I'd like to see it straight-lined as much as possible. That means his cap hit alone could easily raise by $10M in that scenario. So that alone would take up 1/3 of the total increase.

Factor in the players you'd like to retain, namely Bozeman and others, and you can quickly spend most of the cap increase on just players already on your roster.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's not like he was injured in 2020, he opted out. Yes, he's played 3 games in the two years he was active, but we will know if he can handle it in the offseason and I'm sure they won't leave it up to him to win the job. I'm sure they will bring in competition and at this point it's Mekari's job to lose. I'd love to have Mekari as the swing tackle, tbh, which would mean we have improved.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Come on man, don't pretend like this line hasn't been a major issue for us for the past year. Lamar bails them out a lot too with his mobility.
Never said it wasn't. I've just not heard anybody convince me that basically getting healthier players and adding a Tackle isn't the answer.
Bookmark this right now... if people think there's a massive overhaul in the Oline coming, you're past due to prepare yourself for disappointment.

The "upgrading" the Oline could, quite literally, be adding one player. That could legitimately be it. The rest is getting back injured players and forcing draft picks that we've made to simply play better. The FO is not going to throw in the towel on three different LGs just because the whole line isn't playing well.

If a massive overhaul on the OLine happens, it won't be by design. It'll be because Stanley can't come back, and/or because we weren't able or willing to pay Bozeman what the market wanted.

And I agree Lamar bails them out with his mobility also. To the point where it's partially assumed. You don't need to build a Tom Brady-like Oline to be stonewalls in pass protection because the QB can't move off a spot. That's not a good roster allocation to me.