• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
i agree with the mvp thing.. no matter how many mvps he wins, he wont ever be the best qb in nfl.he also doesnt have to be. We just wanna win the bowls, fk them mvps

At 50 mil a year, he damn well better be top 3

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
no, his mom can't review his contract details, but I'm betting he is using a lawyer for that.

Does he need an agent. No, but I do believe it would be better for him to have an agent.
Yea Lamar absolutely has representation, just not reps sanctioned by the NFL world.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was 8-3 last year and doing a great job of masking almost all of the issues we had offensively.

and yet there is an argument still about his value. How many QB's in the league right now can get their teams in winning positions like that given the amount of injuries the Ravens had last year?

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Other players have negotiated without an agent, Lamar will be fine with or without an agent
These used lawyers, lets not pretend like players truly handle contracts without legal representation. Lamar is no different ,he will get credit for negotiating the contract without official representation but we all know that's not true..... There's a reasons all sports agents were once lawyers

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Imagine winning that many MVP's only for a DC to say something like that.

Type of DC that on game day will watch Lamar torch them up and down the field and say to themselves "yep that's not a real QB"

Again...why does Lamar have to accomplish something that no other QB has to accomplish at the moment? Why is it that he needs to be near perfect and win super bowls now?

How come Kyler, Herbert, Burrow (made it to the dance at least), Allen, and Watson not under the same pressure?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Imagine winning that many MVP's only for a DC to say something like that.

Type of DC that on game day will watch Lamar torch them up and down the field and say to themselves "yep that's not a real QB"

Again...why does Lamar have to accomplish something that no other QB has to accomplish at the moment? Why is it that he needs to be near perfect and win super bowls now?

How come Kyler, Herbert, Burrow (made it to the dance at least), Allen, and Watson not under the same pressure?
Lamar gets hated on because he hasn't won in the postseason. Pretty much every QB who doesn't win in the postseason gets shit on. Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan got destroyed for years because of it. Dak is routinely criticized for it. So is Kyler, Derek Carr, etc. There's a lot of really good QBs out there that haven't won shit in this league, and almost all of them get eviscerated for it. And that's especially true when it comes to contract time and they're looking to basically be the highest paid players in the league or even history.

He starts winning in the postseason, and it'll mostly die down. People will still criticize, because that's what people do, but an MVP award and a SB appearance or probably even an AFCG appearance will largely kill off half the debate.

I personally think the criticism for some of these guys who have only played like 2-3 years is a bit short-sighted, BUT, the reality is that many fans would argue that its pretty damn critical that you prove you can win in the postseason before you start cashing gigantic checks.

Now I'm the guy that liked to mock everybody else when Matt Stafford won a SB, just like Matt Ryan made a SB, because it was the "duh" moment for anybody who watches football. Everybody knew these guys were exceptional, and it just made idiots who project future outcomes based on historical outcomes really dumb. And hopefully, that's what happens with Lamar.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't think anyone is asking to him to accomplish something that no other QB has. His skill set makes him a polarizing player and with that comes certain expectations. Not all are going to be reasonable. Its difficult for folks to be reasonable when your comparing a guy like Josh Allen or Burrow to Lamar. Totally different offenses and role expectations for the QBs. Lamar in either of those systems would be damn near unstoppable and he would have ample opportunity to prove himself as a passer to the non Baltimore fans.

As a Ravens fan I wanted to see improvement in the passing game from year to year(check), keep us relevant(check), win a playoff game(check), and finally win a super bowl. I think he is capable of getting the super bowl, but its a team game, and we are not postured for SB run as a team. To many questions for the OLine/WR rooms and to many recent misses in the draft.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I think Lamar has plenty of leverage over the front office.

I think the FO has leverage, but have their hands tied because they won't/shouldn't piss off Lamar. Lamar has "I made this team championship caliber and keep this team relevant any time I'm on the field" leverage, as well as "I know you need more cap flexibility" leverage. EDC hasn't been afraid to play hardball and walk away in the past (like with Bozeman), but there's a big difference between a scheme-dependent center and a MVP caliber QB.

Well, there it is. And this is the reason there's no deal; the leverage is basically neutral.

Where Lamar would benefit from an agent is having him understand that while he can make some good bank as a franchise-tag qb, what he gambles with is injury. Now, we don't know if Lamar looks at it like he already has enough money, so it's not a serious concern, or if he's happy just collecting a large franchise tag QB contract until the chips fall in his favor. Either way he is willing to wait it out until he gets what it wants. The Ravens have to be concerned themselves about injury and paying an enormous amount of guaranteed money to someone who can't play.

With things as they stand, and I believe they stand the way I just described, they are at the intersection of No-Deal-Anytime-Soon Blvd. The FO has it's number which is somewhere between Mahomes and Watson. Lamar has his number which is Watson. They are honking at each other in the middle of the road.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Well, there it is. And this is the reason there's no deal; the leverage is basically neutral.

Where Lamar would benefit from an agent is having him understand that while he can make some good bank as a franchise-tag qb, what he gambles with is injury. Now, we don't know if Lamar looks at it like he already has enough money, so it's not a serious concern, or if he's happy just collecting a large franchise tag QB contract until the chips fall in his favor. Either way he is willing to wait it out until he gets what it wants. The Ravens have to be concerned themselves about injury and paying an enormous amount of guaranteed money to someone who can't play.

With things as they stand, and I believe they stand the way I just described, they are at the intersection of No-Deal-Anytime-Soon Blvd. The FO has it's number which is somewhere between Mahomes and Watson. Lamar has his number which is Watson. They are honking at each other in the middle of the road.

QBs used to take these kinds of financial risks after "down" years all the time and nobody really cared until it was Lamar doing it without an agent. There's always a risk that a player will get injured on a tag or one year deal, but Lamar is a 25 year old MVP QB, not a guy at risk of being out of the league because he gets injured and the league moves on. Dak got a gnarly injured on the tag and signed an extension in the following offseason.

The Ravens and Lamar are both airtight in these talks, so we're probably not going to know they're close or far apart they are until the extension is announced or Lamar is traded for 5 draft picks. The way I see it, there are three things I could see being hang ups (1) AAV, (2) guarantees, and (3) length. AAV should be relatively easy to resolve because the Ravens would ultimately just eat an extra 3-4mil if that's how far apart they are. Guarantees are probably trickier now since Kyler didn't get nearly as much guaranteed money as Watson (I could see EDC drawing a hard line on this). Length is intriguing because Lamar might only want to sign a 3 or 4 year deal so he can hit the market again before he is 30 and the FO would want more cap flexibility than they would get on that kind of contract.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

QBs used to take these kinds of financial risks after "down" years all the time and nobody really cared until it was Lamar doing it without an agent. There's always a risk that a player will get injured on a tag or one year deal, but Lamar is a 25 year old MVP QB, not a guy at risk of being out of the league because he gets injured and the league moves on. Dak got a gnarly injured on the tag and signed an extension in the following offseason.

The Ravens and Lamar are both airtight in these talks, so we're probably not going to know they're close or far apart they are until the extension is announced or Lamar is traded for 5 draft picks. The way I see it, there are three things I could see being hang ups (1) AAV, (2) guarantees, and (3) length. AAV should be relatively easy to resolve because the Ravens would ultimately just eat an extra 3-4mil if that's how far apart they are. Guarantees are probably trickier now since Kyler didn't get nearly as much guaranteed money as Watson (I could see EDC drawing a hard line on this). Length is intriguing because Lamar might only want to sign a 3 or 4 year deal so he can hit the market again before he is 30 and the FO would want more cap flexibility than they would get on that kind of contract.
The lack of an agent thing is somewhat overblown in this day and age.
However, the biggest issue with not having an agent is that, basically, Lamar's window to negotiate contracts and sign a new deal is like at least 30-40% shorter than anybody who does have an agent.

Like I'd be completely shocked if Lamar signed an extension mid-season. It happens plenty of times with players with agents, but not when the primary party in the negotiations is the player who's spending all week focusing on preparing for the next game. So you can basically take September through December off the table for negotiations. Add in January for any sort of postseason run.

So they've got February through August, practically, to get a deal done. And six of those months are basically in the rear view mirror. And that timeline will be the same next offseason too, unless Lamar decides to get an agent.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

On the length thing... a 3-4 year extension is perfectly fine IF it happens now or before the season starts. Because the extension would kick in after this year, which means he'd be under contract for 4 or 5 years. They can also do the signing bonus now, allocate that over the length of the deal, and allows for more flexibility.

A 3-4 year deal looks less appealing every year that goes by, because after this season, it's no longer an "extension". It's just a new contract, because he's not under contract.

Basically I doubt AAV is that big of a hangup, and I doubt length is that big of a hangup either, unless Lamar wants like 10 years like Mahomes and the Ravens won't do it.

Guaranteed money and timeline of when he gets his money I would say has to be like 80-90% of whatever gulf exists between the two sides.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The lack of an agent thing is somewhat overblown in this day and age.
However, the biggest issue with not having an agent is that, basically, Lamar's window to negotiate contracts and sign a new deal is like at least 30-40% shorter than anybody who does have an agent.

Like I'd be completely shocked if Lamar signed an extension mid-season. It happens plenty of times with players with agents, but not when the primary party in the negotiations is the player who's spending all week focusing on preparing for the next game. So you can basically take September through December off the table for negotiations. Add in January for any sort of postseason run.

So they've got February through August, practically, to get a deal done. And six of those months are basically in the rear view mirror. And that timeline will be the same next offseason too, unless Lamar decides to get an agent.
and Lamar works on his own February through August also. Sure it's not the same as during the season preparation, but Lamar is a hard worker. There are other values to having an agent also, but negotiations is by far the largest benefit.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Like I'd be completely shocked if Lamar signed an extension mid-season. It happens plenty of times with players with agents, but not when the primary party in the negotiations is the player who's spending all week focusing on preparing for the next game.
Which begs the question will Lamar be able to focus on the field. My guess is absolutely not because he is a human and 100s of millions of dollars weighs heavy on the mind.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Which begs the question will Lamar be able to focus on the field. My guess is absolutely not because he is a human and 100s of millions of dollars weighs heavy on the mind.

See, now I don't think he's bothered at all. I think he's happy to ride out whatever happens, and get paid a ton, until he gets what he wants - which I'm presuming to be the biggest contract in the NFL. Or, as jboy says, he gets traded and we get a ton of draft picks, and he gets the deal he wants from some other team. Hence, perhaps their leverage isn't neutral, they're just at an impasse because Lamar is holding all the cards.