• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He forgot the best one: Anquan Boldin
Yeah, but for me, that's not the point.
All of Flacco's tenure everybody (including me) bitched about how the FO would never use draft picks on WRs. How all we ever did was give Joe aging, cheap veterans in FA.
Then, we go and do the exact opposite with Lamar, and now everybody is, yet again, bitching. In a four year span, Lamar got four WRs drafted before the end of day 2, including two in the first round, and two pass catching TE's, one of which is among the league's best.
And now the argument is "well why didn't we give him the stud FA"?

Ignoring the fact that, as I've argued, there are no stud FA WRs, it seems like really poor management to expect that every dollar and every acquisition needs to be spent to make Lamar happy. And that's before we discuss the investments in the Oline from this past season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
All of Flacco's tenure everybody (including me) bitched about how the FO would never use draft picks on WRs. How all we ever did was give Joe aging, cheap veterans in FA.
Then, we go and do the exact opposite with Lamar, and now everybody is, yet again, bitching. In a four year span, Lamar got four WRs drafted before the end of day 2, including two in the first round, and two pass catching TE's, one of which is among the league's best.

Ignoring the fact that, as I've argued, there are no stud FA WRs, it seems like really poor management to expect that every dollar and every acquisition needs to be spent to make Lamar happy. And that's before we discuss the investments in the Oline from this past season.
He forgot the best one: Anquan Boldin
But honestly, that's not the guy I'm arguing with. I'm arguing with other clowns who think all the Ravens do is invest in defense. Which I pointed out the fact that from 2018-2021 the Ravens made 16 draft picks on day 1 and 2, and 11 of them were on offensive players. And I pointed out the fact that, in this coming season, the Ravens are spending 57% of their salary cap space on offensive players, and in terms of total cap $, are top 5 in the league in total offensive spending.

But apparently WR is the only position anybody cares about for some odd reason.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

What you think Harbs and Stevie B are saying while looking down at Lamar?

Harbs: nah fam, lowball his ass. If anything, give me a raise, I built the offense for him. I’m HIM.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

lol, seriously. All Baltimore did for Flacco was sign older vets and yes some worked out, but they only drafted two receivers in the 1st 2 rounds. Perriman and T. Smith. Also, Derek Mason was signed before Flacco was drafted.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I'm happy they aren't spending big money on FA WRs, but you are right, fans are never happy.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
But honestly, that's not the guy I'm arguing with. I'm arguing with other clowns who think all the Ravens do is invest in defense. Which I pointed out the fact that from 2018-2021 the Ravens made 16 draft picks on day 1 and 2, and 11 of them were on offensive players. And I pointed out the fact that, in this coming season, the Ravens are spending 57% of their salary cap space on offensive players, and in terms of total cap $, are top 5 in the league in total offensive spending.

But apparently WR is the only position anybody cares about for some odd reason.
If your drafted wrs dnt pan out, it means you still need some.. regardless of how many picks you spend on them. Remember 1yr lamar was throwing to crabtree.. another year snead , seth roberts and hollywood. I know you remember how those guys looked in them playoff games. Drafted bateman and seemed like we had something going but then hollywood wanted out.. now we are back to square 1 in the wr department.

im not disagreeing with you on the allocation of our salary but just trying to let you know why some fans only care about wr right now… we traumatized from the terrible performance our wrs have displayed in recent yrs..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If your drafted wrs dnt pan out, it means you still need some.. regardless of how many picks you spend on them. Remember 1yr lamar was throwing to crabtree.. another year snead , seth roberts and hollywood. I know you remember how those guys looked in them playoff games. Drafted bateman and seemed like we had something going but then hollywood wanted out.. now we are back to square 1 in the wr department.

im not disagreeing with you on the allocation of our salary but just trying to let you know why some fans only care about wr right now… we traumatized from the terrible performance our wrs have displayed in recent yrs..
Well, sometimes, its on the QB to make those draft picks better.
Regardless of the situation now, when the QB is making $50M, he ain't getting all of that. He's not getting a $20M FA WR with a couple of high draft picks. He'll be lucky to get one of those. The rest of the money will go to his Offensive line and the defense. Some of it he's just going to have to live with.

Frankly, some of the allocations fans are asking for I don't see elsewhere. I see some teams, like Cincinnati, making huge investments in WR. Then I look at KC or Buffalo, and I think, OK, what have they done dramatically different than us? Buffalo paid Diggs, and gave Allen a second rounder and a decent TE. That's it. Not 3-4 stud WRs. Not a ton of investment in the position. Chiefs gave Mahomes Kelce and Hill, who was a mid round pick. They've not invested heavily at the WR position at all. The Packers have notoriously not been friendly to Rodgers at all in terms of receiver upgrades or additions.

At some point, there comes a time where the QB just doesn't get everything he wants. And that time is starting to happen now. Last year he had two first rounders and an elite TE on the roster, and I don't think anybody was sitting there saying "man, what a dominant passing game". Blamed it on the Oline. Now he's got the Oline he wants, and now its something else. Eventually, he's just got to elevate some of these guys. These $20-25M receivers aren't coming. Fans need to get over it.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The only silver lining to the anonymous comments about Lamar is that it highlights something we already knew: there's no changing some of these people's minds. As long as Lamar understands it (he's an idiot if he doesn't), he should really stop trying to change his style of play of the sole reason to prove them wrong. Just do what you do best and adjust accordingly.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
u0umct3smle91.jpg
Don't worry guys, now that Lamar can throw better he'll totally open up the offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lol i knew it would turn into something soon as i read the comment.. i still believe last season, even though it was bad… helped lamars game alot
Lamar was a different player entirely for a big chunk of the season, but too many throws got rushed, and when there was enough film on it, defenses jumped, it forced big turnovers, and Lamar stopped rushing, in turn he took a million sacks.

There was A LOT to be learned for Lamar last season and if the OL improves and the run game works again, with him playing the way he did the first 10 weeks, it should be a night and day difference.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I may be a stan but I’ve seen every snap of Lamar’s professional career and he’s never struck me as a run first QB like some people on social media are claiming. Sure he has erratic throws every now and then but this notion of him taking off after the first read seems ridiculous to me

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure he has erratic throws every now and then but this notion of him taking off after the first read seems ridiculous to me
I think the majority of us were more frustrated by his lack of running on passing plays when the opportunity presented itself. seemed like he was looking to complete his reads and then some to often.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I may be a stan but I’ve seen every snap of Lamar’s professional career and he’s never struck me as a run first QB like some people on social media are claiming. Sure he has erratic throws every now and then but this notion of him taking off after the first read seems ridiculous to me
He wasnt even a run first qb in college.. never understand people who said that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This has been the case since Louisville honestly, there is no easier way for me to tell someone has absolutely no clue what they’re talking about then when they say shit like this

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
This has been the case since Louisville honestly, there is no easier way for me to tell someone has absolutely no clue what they’re talking about then when they say shit like this

...and even there he was not being talked about as an NFL QB, he was projected as a WR. It's silly. Talking head know-it-alls.

I think his biggest problem has been trying to fit himself into some of these "projections." There's no doubt he was taking longer in the pocket to complete his reads; and with a not-so-good OL, we saw lots of sacks and rushed passes. But this is as much on coaching as it is on Lamar. Coaching seems to be forcing a desired role for him. He's unique, we should be seeing a unique offense that accentuates his strengths rather than asking him to do something traditional.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

I've been reading that Wallace and The Porsche have been running crisp routes in routes in practice and I would to see one of those 2 step in to the WR2 role. THe other being WR3. Duv I would more like to see used more as a gadget guy ie flies, quick screens, end arounds, perhaps lined up as a RB if Dobbins and Gus are still hobbled. I just don't see him as strictly a boundary guy. I think the BradleyGaither signing could be a surprize since he was my favorite receiver in the USFL. Sure it will be an uphill climb for him. We have to see what these guys got thru traing camp and part of preseason before any talks of veteran FA's taking playing time and last I knew we broke poor anyways.