• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The Hurst drop was particularly egregious to me because the Ravens looked to have a shot at a comeback. Hurst was supposed to be this super sure handed tight end that never dropped passes and here he was dropping a surefire touchdown.

But I might be a bit jaded because I hated the pick to begin with.

Everything at the time screamed Ridley. It made absolutely no sense to me to take an old TE considering the talent we passed on originally.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Hurst drop was particularly egregious to me because the Ravens looked to have a shot at a comeback. Hurst was supposed to be this super sure handed tight end that never dropped passes and here he was dropping a surefire touchdown.

But I might be a bit jaded because I hated the pick to begin with.
everyone wanted Ridley over Hurst.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Everything at the time screamed Ridley. It made absolutely no sense to me to take an old TE considering the talent we passed on originally.

everyone wanted Ridley over Hurst.
I could understand passing on Ridley if they had ended up with DJ Moore, but Hurst was... a pick.

At his age, he was in his athletic prime and wasn't going to get drastically better, so he had to be great out of the gate and I didn't feel he was going to be good enough to justify such a high pick.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could understand passing on Ridley if they had ended up with DJ Moore, but Hurst was... a pick.

At his age, he was in his athletic prime and wasn't going to get drastically better, so he had to be great out of the gate and I didn't feel he was going to be good enough to justify such a high pick.
well after trading down, Moore was taken before us, then we took Hurst and then Ridley was drafted by the Falcons.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That's my issue- I wouldn't have traded down again.

I suppose it all worked out in the end, but at the time, I was upset they passed on guys like James, Edmunds, Moore.
hard to believe as good as that draft was, it could have been better. I do wonder if we would have traded back into the bottom of the first without those trade downs, but we will never really know.

Simba

Staff Member
I still think we’d be singing a very different tune about Hurst had he not gotten hurt and Andrews hadn’t stepped up. Had every skill to thrive in this type of offense but just fell behind the 8 ball and then had to make a decision for his career as an older rookie.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still think we’d be singing a very different tune about Hurst had he not gotten hurt and Andrews hadn’t stepped up. Had every skill to thrive in this type of offense but just fell behind the 8 ball and then had to make a decision for his career as an older rookie.
Hurst is Uber athletic but idk man, he’s only got one speed, and if you can’t outrun every defender on the field then you can’t play like that.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i wouldnt go that far - hayden's been disappointing but he's at least having a somewhat decent football career... just not what you want from a 1st rounder

elam was a trainwreck
I'm thinking more in terms of who we could have drafted instead of these two.
Not much choice in that awful 2013 class.

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't think we would be.

Hurst went to a VERY tight end friendly offense in Atlanta, and a more pass happy offense than Baltimore, and just didn't produce at a clip where I'd say he was worth the first round pick.

I think Hurst would have been okay in Baltimore, but I don't think he'd have ever justified his draft status.